PDA

View Full Version : Caught some fish this mornin'

Jim
05-24-2012, 03:42 PM
GO HERE. (http://floydpics.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/fishin-with-marc-24-may-2012/)

waksupi
05-24-2012, 03:49 PM
I always loved fishing the bluegills with a fly rod. Find a spawning bed this time of year, and they will wear you out!
I'm heading out fishing for pike this weekend, and Fishhawk is up in Canada killing fish at the time.
Fish fry at Jim's place!

popper
05-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Blue gill, bass, catfish - anything on a fly rod is most fun. Got to tie some for my RMNP trip next month.

richhodg66
05-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Those are some nice bluegills. I just love seeing a bobber go down, don't much care what kind of fish or how big most of the time. Get a light rod and 2lb test and a bluegill can feel like a blue marlin, LOL.

I took up bowfisihng a few years back and haven't done nearly enough rod and reel fishing since. Maybe this weekend.

Jim
05-24-2012, 03:59 PM
i always loved fishing the bluegills with a fly rod. Find a spawning bed this time of year, and they will wear you out!
I'm heading out fishing for pike this weekend, and fishhawk is up in canada killing fish at the time.
fish fry at jim's place!

byob!!

x101airborne
05-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Mmmmm.... Hot grease, cornmeal, cold beer. Ats a little bit of heaven right there.

waksupi
05-24-2012, 06:26 PM
I remember going to the pond when I was a kid, with a cane pole about twelve feet long, a bobber, and some garden hackles. I would bring home a bucketful of bluegills, ranging from nice ones, to bait size. That is also when I found out about cleaning fish, and diminishing returns, as to size kept.

JeffinNZ
05-24-2012, 06:33 PM
They get bigger right? Love the last photo of Jim with the big grin.

41 mag fan
05-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Jim either you're one very big person or that fish is one very little fish in the last pic!!

I can see why the beers on you next time!

firefly1957
05-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Fishing is a good way to pass time cheap safe and fun. I took the new dog out in the boat today cast a few times no bites. I was casting spoons over weed beds for pike.

kbstenberg
05-24-2012, 08:19 PM
i decided on the way home from work tonight. That I am going to take the boat out this weekend. Even though the launchas will be busy.

waksupi
05-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Fishing is a good way to pass time cheap safe and fun. I took the new dog out in the boat today cast a few times no bites. I was casting spoons over weed beds for pike.

You obviously need some of my top secret pike spoons. Bull Herter tried to get the design for years, but I would not surrender the secret!

05-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Shootin, coon huntin and fishin. I just love amphibious outdoorsmen. I'm planning to hurt some perch this weekend. Let y'all know how it turns out.

Jim
05-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Shootin, coon huntin and fishin..........minin' bullets and drinkin' the finest whiskey made.

WILCO
05-25-2012, 09:13 AM
.....minin' bullets and drinkin' the finest whiskey made.

Yep. You're living the good life Jim!

Reg
05-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Now, that one "gill" is a nice keeper ! Love that small pond fishing. Was going out today and try to get another mess of walleye but wind is coming up too high and a strong chance of thunder storms. Will try again tomorrow or Sunday. Boat is too big to launch by myself in the wind.

Freightman
05-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Sad No small ponds or big ponds here, to dry!

Love Life
05-25-2012, 12:18 PM
That last picture is of the bait right? :kidding:

Man oh man I miss fishing in the south. You had bass, catfish, bream, etc. Here in CA/NV if you aren't catching trout you really aren't catching anything. There is something about catching a monster trout on 4 pound test thoough.

Looks like a good time was had and glad to see the pictures.

Jim
05-25-2012, 02:01 PM
That last picture is of the bait right? :kidding:

Looks like a good time was had and glad to see the pictures.

I had my buddy take that photo, KNOWIN' y'all would get a kick out of it. And, yes Sir, it was a really good first fishin' day of the year!

firefly1957
05-26-2012, 07:32 AM
waksupi You can PM me that your secret is safe with me ! I had a metal shop in 7th grade one of our projects was to make and tune casting spoons I did catch one bass with one of those spoons before someone carried off my tackle box.
...I like pike usually Broil or grill it in a previous conversation you said you smoked them but never said which end you put in your mouth??? ( time to borrow Jim's line I am a little behind butt it is a smart behind) All kidding aside I will be hitting the lakes more this year then last.

41 mag fan
05-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Hey Jim, You guys clean any and cook them up that evening?

Jim
05-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Nope, they all went back for another day. I'm a 'catch & release' fisherman.

WILCO
05-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Nope, they all went back for another day. I'm a 'catch & release' fisherman.

Yeah, same here Jim. :Fire:

WRideout
05-26-2012, 10:54 PM
A couple of years ago, I took my kids to visit my mother, when she was alive, in Breckenridge TX. As usual I always check out the local waters, and found several reservoirs nearby, probably Bureau of Reclamation built some time ago. I fished a floating worm off the bank, and since it was spring, I lucked into two very large largemouths. When I went to clean them, they were full of eggs; I felt really bad for a little bit, but they were goners, so we went ahead and had them for supper. A couple of years later, TX was in the midst of a bad drought, and the reservoirs dried completely up. I guess it wouldn't have mattered if there were a few more young ones, or not.

Wayne

insanelupus
05-27-2012, 01:55 AM
Last year I picked up a little cheapie Daiwa ultralight spin cast outfit but spooled it with 4 lb test. I'd never used an ultralight rig before and tied on some worms and a few split shot and hit a local creek for some cutthroat. I tied in to a mess of 10-14" bull trout and that was the most fun I'd had fishing for a looooooooooong time!

Jim
05-27-2012, 05:17 AM
I fish with a 5 ft. ultralight spinning outfit. I tie a number 6 wire hook on the line, bait it with half a night crawler and flip it in the pond. The line will straighten out and the game is on.

Nothin' but me and the fish![smilie=w: