PDA

View Full Version : DCM M1 Garand

dale2242
05-24-2012, 01:16 PM
In what condition can I expect an M1 Garand from the DCM to be.
Is it just a shot in the dark? .......dale

Kraschenbirn
05-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Are you asking about a gun that someone obtained through the now-defunct DCM (Directorate of Civilian Marksmanship) or the current CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program)? The old DCM's guns were pretty much take-what-you-get with no consideration for cosmetics. The one I received from DCM in 1985 was a completely rearsenaled '43-mfg Winchester; New barrel, new spring set, new gas cylinder/operating rod, with a fresh parkerized finish. Wood was dirty/oily but solid with no cracks or major dings and cleaned up very nicely. A good buddy who ordered his at the same time received a low-number Springfield Armory that may have been 'combat serviceable' but looked like it had just been dragged out of a salvage dump. About a month after I got mine, another member of our shooting group received a 90%+ Springfield NM...shipped from the same storage depot at mine and my buddy's...for the same price!!

The current CPM guns are priced by 'grade' and the ones I've seen, so far...all 'field' or 'service' grades...have looked pretty darn good, 'specially some of the 'returned' Danish guns.

Bill

madsenshooter
05-24-2012, 02:54 PM
I agree you could get anything from the old DCM. The one I received from them around 1991 was a Dec of 42 made SA, fully rebuilt in 1968, but some idiot put it in a stock that was so worn the receiver overhung at the rear. For $185 it wasn't a bad deal, gave me an excuse to buy a laminated stock.

Hardcast416taylor
05-24-2012, 03:34 PM
A friend got a DCM M-1 back in the `80`s. It was a SA and looked really clean and in very good condition. He cleaned the casmoline out and lubed everything as was dictated before taking it out to shoot it. The first round he fired wouldn`t eject, it ripped the case rim off! Luckily he had a G.I. cleaning rod to knock the stuck case out. It looked like it had been peppered with gravel! He made the mistake of trying a second round, same action as the first shot. He took the rifle to a gunshop where they determined he had a badly pitted and rusted chamber. They did a ream and polish job that made the rifle fireable again, it just had a slightly larger chamber now.Robert

NuJudge
05-24-2012, 04:20 PM
A Garand from the old Director of Civilian Marksmanship was luck of the draw: some came new, others came fresh from rebuild, some came in terrible shape. In 1982, I got one that was fresh from rebuild. A lot of them came that way.

A Garand from the current Civilian Marksmanship Program won't be new, but if you pay for that class, it will be fresh from rebuild. Any of the Specials will have either a new Criterion button rifled barrel and new commercial stock or a nearly new GI barrel and new commercial stock.

For some years I've shot in the National Garand Match at Camp Perry. I usually get a gold achievement medal. For many years I was shooting a middle 1960's rebuild that came to me in really excellent shape. I won a lot of gold medals, two silver and one bronze. I was always at the bottom of the gold medal group. Early last year I went to the North Store at Camp Perry and bought an H&R Special. Its barrel was GI but nearly new, and it had a new Commercial Boyd's stock, colored ORANGE! I figured the new stock would help me pick up a few points over the 60's rebuild, and it did.

You can buy the lesser grades, which will come in a stock that has been clamped between the receiver and trigger group for 35 ot 70 years. You also have a darned fine chance they will be ugly.

In any event, I would encourage you going to Camp Perry or Anniston to look at what you are buying. I've bought several that had minor problems that caused them to be downgraded, and when fixed were great shooters.

Bodydoc447
05-24-2012, 04:39 PM
I just got back from the CMP SouthStore in Anniston, AL last weekend. They had a wonderful selection of Garands. A very nice 1/1 Throat/Muzzle guaged H&R came home with me. I met my friends in Atlanta and we drove down. Heck of a good roadtrip.

Doc

ilcop22
05-24-2012, 04:58 PM
If given the opportunity to choose between a DCM and a CMP, definitely choose the CMP. You'll get a firearm in a condition exactly as described by grade.

john hayslip
05-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Many years ago I got a DCM 45 auto that had no disconnector groove.

Ed in North Texas
05-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I think Kraschenbirn had it nailed. Another one of us who remember the old DCM and forget it has been the CMP for a number of years now. Good answers all and my Danish return is the best of the bunch without a total rebuild.

Ed

monge
05-24-2012, 07:50 PM
fellow at our sportsman club went and picked one off the rack there it is in great shape and shoots very well I believe he paid $799 for it !

dale2242
05-24-2012, 08:11 PM
I am talking about the Garands offered through the latest program.
I hear it is now called the CMP
I was not aware there was different offers for Garands in the program. Are there different grades with different prices?
A friend told me they were available for $550.
Thanks for your responses. Keep them coming....dale

ilcop22
05-25-2012, 02:25 AM
Check it out:
http://thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm

zomby woof
05-26-2012, 08:08 PM
It all depends on how much you want to pay. $1100 will get you an almost new condition .