PDA

View Full Version : 9mm carbine Boolit to hunt deer and medium sized pigs with

flipajig
05-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I have a 9mm carbine witch I'm able to get 1300 fps with a 125 grn Boolit.
So like all of us I got to thinking why not use this for deer and pigs. Now I know a round nose is not a good choice but you have the Lyman Devistator and NOE has a RNFP both are 125 grn.
I have other fire arms that are more than able to get the job done and have I know that this would have limited range 50 to 75 yds. Just looking for some other thoughts
Or am I out to lunch.
Flip

Goatwhiskers
05-23-2012, 07:09 PM
IMHO you're wasting your time and money, there's too much chance of not making a clean kill. Yeah, I know there are probably more deer killed every year with a .22RF than any other caliber, and a .223 will kill a hog or a deer, but as a sportsman I believe in using enough gun to assure a clean kill, and I practice enough to put the bullet where it needs to go in order to assure same. Will the 9mm kill? Yes, but I would never recommend it, I don't use it for home defense either. Here endeth the epistle. Goatwhiskers the Elder

flipajig
05-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Goatwhiskers. I'm a sportsman also. And useing a big enough gun to get the job done as you put it. I also feel that a 22 cal gun is to small to use for deer and pigs. What got me to thinking is the fact that the 9mm and 357/38 use the same size Boolit and useing the carbine I'm righ at 357 mag velocity witch I feel is the smallest caliber hand gun to hunt with.
I'm also a pistol hunter who shoots a Encore and a Contender in different calibers.

waksupi
05-23-2012, 07:45 PM
I conversed with Veral Smith about a similar question. I am using a heavier boolit, and his opinion was, once a .35 projectile with a good meplate falls below 1400 fps at impact velocity, there is insufficient energy to use it for hunting. With your bullet weight, I would consider the use out of the question.

flipajig
05-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Ok Waksupi. If that is the case. Then the 357 mag would have the same problem right unless useing the heavyer Boolit makes the difference.

Goatwhiskers
05-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Not putting down on anyone here. The Mag has killed deer, hogs, heck I even read of some guy that took down a cape buffalo, sneaked to something like 10 or 15 yards. Anyway my point is merely that IMO the "9" is too light to depend on, not whether your load would kill deer or hogs. Under the right circumstances sure it would, on the other hand I popped a hog approx 100lbs three time with a 9 using 115gr hollow points at ranges from 20yds to about 5ft, knocked it down each time, but never got my pork chops. Your call. Goat

flipajig
05-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Goat I understand that it will be my call and weather I actually do it I don't know.
I'm also not trying to ruffle feathers or cause hard feelings I'm looking for input on a Boolit
If I decide to try it. I think I wold try a slower burning powder than what I'm useing now to try to increase the valosity to give it some more punch.
I also saw a pic on the net of a deer shot with a 9mm all I can say is that it was a nasty hole I'm a processor and I've seen some critters that didn't deserve to die the way that they did.

1bluehorse
05-23-2012, 10:48 PM
We don't have any hogs around here but if we did, from what I've heard I wouldn't be shootin one with a HP anything....at 50 yards or so a 9mm 125gr. hp for deer at 13-1400fps=dead deer...

quilbilly
05-23-2012, 11:06 PM
if a 9mm 130 gr slug is not suitable for deer, all those deer I put in the freezer using a 45 round ball (132 gr approx) from a muzzleloader or a 9mm 125 gr saboted handgun boolit in the same 45 muzzleloader must have died laughing. I always considered the either muzzleloading projectile adequate for deer as long as the velocity is over 1000 fps on impact. Of course, a muzzleloader makes you a very careful shot. Don't know about hogs. None of them here, just a lot of bears and i won't use that muzzleloader on those anyway.

singleshot
05-23-2012, 11:17 PM
I don't know how 125 grainers stack up. 125 grains seems light to me for hogs, but ok for deer. I'd be more comfortable with a WFN or SWC design. If the meplat is at least .25, I'd say "go for it!"

missionary5155
05-24-2012, 03:31 AM
Good morning flipajig
Belton.. I first thought "Why would anyone want to use a 9mm"...
Back when I was at Ft. Hood (71-72) there were cases of caliber .30 carbine in the weapons room. Any NCO with a .30 carbine firearm ( like an M2) could have all they wanted for "practice". Roll the clock up to today. Now if I had a carbine like an MP5 and access to unlimited ammo along with all that "training ground" to wander about I could see using it to thin out small piggies. Armadillos responded well to 3-5 shot bursts... no reason small pigs should not also. I might consider filing or grinding down the noses to improve the thud on target but a 9mm below the ear will do the trick.
Mike in Peru

x101airborne
05-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Start out with a heavy slug of 130 grains or more. Use a drill to make just a small cup point. Find some of the +P+ brass and drive the living daylights out of em. I used to use a marlin camp carbine on smallish hogs for a while. The above method is what I used toward the end. Then I traded it for an older Ruger Deerfield in 44 mag. With the 9mm, even 35 pound ish hogs required more than one shot and time to run and die. Now I did like it for shooting em in the trap, but that is not hunting, just close up killing. Just keep this in mind..... I came across a nesting sow with that 9mm one day. She stayed still in tall grass till I almost stepped on her. Then she tried to kill me while I was trying to do the same with her. I think a K-bar would have worked better.

I also witnessed an old friend of my dad's use that same camp carbine on a charging sow. 9 rounds into her at close range and he still had to find a tree till she expired. That is just not where you want to be when Jesus comes back.

MBTcustom
05-24-2012, 10:52 AM
That is just not where you want to be when Jesus comes back.
Ha! ha! Thats some funny stuff right there!
I aggree with everything that 101airborn said. If I had to use a camp carbine, I would load up the heaviest boolits I could and drive them as hard as I could. I would not HP the boolits however, because with piggies, penetration is a problem. Sometimes a .44 magnum wont get much further than under the skin.
My personal feeling is that you are fine for thin-skinned deer, but you are severely underpowered for pigs.
Get you a cheap 12 guage shotgun and load up some .735 RB. You will have a light, easy handling rifle, with enough medicine to do whatever you need to do, as well as having quick follow-up shots when needed. With my cheap S&W shotgun loaded with .735s, I can dump half a pound of lead into a pop-can sized target 50 yards away in less than 5 seconds, and each one of the six will put a 3/4" hole through a railroad tie. Kind of hard to argue with that much power in a light package.

ladOregon
05-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Hogs. Stick to something substantially bigger that a cartridge designed for target practice and fully automatic wounding weapons.
Bucks have been taken with every projectile made. The early "deer rifles" were made by design to not damage a lot of meat just put it on the table. 25-20 and many more come to mind. Take your 9 with a soft cast heavy flat point bullet to the woods like a long bow shooter. Get close and put it in the boiler room and all is done with little or no meat loss.

flipajig
05-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Thank you for the input. And I know that If you put one in there ear they are going down. And if I run into Hogzilla I'm reaching for my 30-06 or my 44 mag loaded with a partition J word or a hard
cast Boolit In the Winchester. As for deer you put one in the Boiler room they are going down.
Like stated above you the hunter has to do your part that is one of the reasons I like hunting with single shots and my bow.
Flip

Larry Gibson
05-25-2012, 08:05 AM
flipajig

I'm not going to get into the discussion on whether or not to hunt deer and pigs with the 9mm out of a semi auto carbine. I have hunted Texas and I've seen lots of deer and pigs there that the 9mm was quite capable of taking effectively. The choice to use is yours and it appears to me you've got a handle on the legal and ethical matters when to use the 9mm and when not to. With that said let me say what I would do if I was going to use the 9mm for such.

I would get the SAECO #924 mould, a 124 gr SWC GC'd cast bullet. I would cast it of COWWs +2% tin and then add 50% lead to that. I would AC the bullets 10+ days before use. I would size .357/.358 and lube with a good soft lube such as BAC or a 50/50 NRA lube. I would load over Blue dot or other similar burning rate powder to give 1300 -1400 fps. I would pick my shots judiciously and adhere to a responsible short range limitation. That's what I would do if I was to use the 9mm in a carbine for such.

Larry Gibson

SMCCORD
05-25-2012, 10:43 AM
I am by no means an expert. I agree with Larry Gibson. I say this not to slam anyone but just as an observation. I see many hunters at clubs and public land take questionable shots on game animals because they have the hottest new super magnum. I see those same individuals at the range having someone else sight their guns for them. To me the greatest part of the hunt is stalking in close to the target and making a clean kill. That is what was passed on to me from my father and will be passed on to my son. Call it being a sportsman, ethics or morals I just call it hunting.

flipajig
05-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Smccord. I agree with you 100%. Before I go out I know what my limitations are or very close to it. My arrow weight,valosity and the kinetic energy is for it and my other wheapons. I load my own working up my loads for all my guns and you don't have to have the latest super magnum to get the job done. Last year my longest shot was about 23 yds so I've been up close and personal. I have also been trying to teach my kids the same thing and ethics. As for a long shot before I touch the trigger I will have put in my time on the range and will know if I'm able to make the shot or not. I love shooting and hunting with the short tubes my Longest to date was right at 250yds on a rock chuck on the snake river canyon in Idaho that day I might have been able to walk on water.
Flip

fcvan
06-02-2012, 06:02 PM
I too have a camp carbine 9mm and love it. However, i think the only pork that gun will shoot is an empty can of pork and beans. Frank