PDA

View Full Version : Tight throat (leade) in .35 Rem Marlin 336?

armed_partisan
05-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Hello all. I traded another forum member for a 336XLR in .35 Rem, and he said the chamber had been opened up by a gunsmith. I was a bit worried about that, but the rifle has chambered every bullet I've tried, and I've grown very, very fond of .35 Rem as a result. At my suggestion, a friend of mine bought a .35 Rem 336 of a slightly older vintage, and the throat on his chamber is so tight, he can't use my favorite bullet that I load my .35's in, Lyman 358315, nor can he use a 358429, 358477, or any of the Magma style bullet molds he buys (he doesn't cast) from our local bullet manufactory, Space Coast Bullets. TC, SWC, RN, everything sticks in that chamber. The forward driving band on most common SWC's will stick in the throat and it will pull the bullets when he goes to unload the gun. This is not only inconvenient, but unsafe, so I ask you all: is this a common thing on Marlin 336's in .35 Remington?

fishnbob
05-23-2012, 03:42 PM
I have one that does the same thing. It's was manufactured around '72 IIRC and I can't chamber any cast boolits due to the front band. I have trimmed the brass until it will chamber and it is not accurate at all. I'm thinkin' bout reaming the chamber a little but I ain't sure it will help my accuracy. I am mulling over my options.

armed_partisan
05-23-2012, 07:28 PM
I don't think it's the brass, I think it's the throat in the rifling. If it was binding I would definitely get it reamed (probably send it in to Marlin, because that would be a manufacturing defect on their end). Between myself and my friend, my rifle is the one which is reamed is probably more accurate, but it does have a 24" barrel on it. We both have Williams aperture rear sights, since they're rough service pig hunter guns, and neither of us can afford bulletproof scopes (which is why I cast).

Nobade
05-23-2012, 08:51 PM
It's not a defect. Take a look at the SAAMI print for the 35 Rem. There is no throat at all, and just a slight bevel at the origin of the rifling. Have a gunsmith you trust use a 35 cal. rifle throater that has a removable pilot (to fit the .353" bore of the microgroove barrel) and add a short throat section. It does wonders for accuracy, though it still won't fit Keith type revolver boolits very well.

TXGunNut
05-23-2012, 11:02 PM
I use the Ranch Dog boolit, if you'll take the time to read his article about "The 100 Year Hunter" you'll understand why. Michael understands the Marlin chamber and his designs work quite well with it. Link's @ top of the page.

Nobade
05-24-2012, 08:17 AM
I use the Ranch Dog boolit, if you'll take the time to read his article about "The 100 Year Hunter" you'll understand why. Michael understands the Marlin chamber and his designs work quite well with it. Link's @ top of the page.

So do I, it's the best 35 Rem boolit out there. The RCBS would be up there too but the nose is too small for microgroove barrels. But my rifles and Contender barrel all shot better and gave much less grief after knocking that sharp transition off the beginning of the rifling.

largom
05-24-2012, 08:52 AM
The RCBS 35-200-FN shoots extremely well in both of my Marlin 336's.

Larry

armed_partisan
05-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Well, I've been looking at the RCBS 35-200-FN for quite a while, but maybe I'll invest in a Ranchdog 35-190-RF first, although I hate tumble lube. My XLR has the ballard style rifling and shoots the Lyman 358315 VERY well. Most of our improvised ranges are around 50yards around here, but I get keyholes at 50, so I'm sure they're within' 1.5" at 100 yards or so, and if it was closer to 2", I'd call it operator error. Still, I love big meplats, and I'd like something I could use in a .38 or .357 revolver in a pinch, too.

JFE
05-24-2012, 07:30 PM
My 336 in 35 Rem is the same. You do have a few options:

In a separate operation size the front band down to fit the throat
open up the throat
use a Lee FCD and crimp them where they fit the throat (check feed and cycling)

I left the throat as is and use the third option. Accuracy is excellent.

gon2shoot
05-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Yep, thats a 35. The RCBS or Ranch dogs design work well.
But you've already been told that. lol

dualsport
05-28-2012, 01:26 PM
I will vouch for the RD boolit also. Perfect fit in my 1971 chamber and accurate too, 1 1/2" all day at 100 yds. w/scope. And the 6 cavity mold is fast. "The 100 Year Hunter" is a must read if you shoot a .35 Rem. Marlin.

armed_partisan
05-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Have spoken to my friend, and we're gonna give the Ranchdog a try. He's excited about trying 190 grainers in his .38 Special and in his .35 Rem. He's gonna buy the mold, and I'm gonna cast and lube, add a couple hundred gas checks, too. Thanks for the imput, folks.

TXGunNut
05-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Sounds good, I'll be casting some soon but since you've made the call I'm sure you'll be happy. I'm eagerly awaiting a package from Michael myself. He's a good man, hope to buy him a cup of coffee someday.