PDA

View Full Version : Smelting and Ingots

fishindad
05-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Well... I FINALLY got off my hind quarters and did it. It certainly was not hard. I just was a bit nervous. Over the past year, I had gather extra stuff here and there that I could use to dedicate to smelting. i also had gather various bullet, sinker and jig molds. Step one, get those ingots done!

Sunday night... I started the process. its honestly been fun. Key was to keep it outside! The non-lead items floated and skimmed right off. I also learned that wheel weights STINK. Literally. I think next time, I might try and clean them better first. NASTY.

Not bad for a first run! Once I get all the ingots done... Its time to cast my own slugs and jigs!

This forum has been TREMENDOUSLY helpful. Thanks everyone.

Fishindad

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-V2sTSesNo3k/T70MxwRWcFI/AAAAAAAAGos/5MKg7SS-z-s/s640/20120520_200140.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pq5vgrjn-R8/T70MzQIL5cI/AAAAAAAAGo0/l4fxzk_N064/s640/DSC_0009.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4ieEYW_RTdI/T70M0s2_udI/AAAAAAAAGo8/1rxPESLfoeY/s640/20120520_205955.jpg

Lizard333
05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
WW's do stink but cleaning them wont help much. Some of them are painted and that causes a lot of the bad smell. Sort, smelt, cast, then shoot!

captaint
05-23-2012, 02:29 PM
fishindad - Welcome and do make an effort not to breathe in the fumes from the junk on the WW's.. It's not good - made me puke once. Nasty.... Fun though, huh ?? enjoy Mike

KYCaster
05-23-2012, 02:54 PM
fishindad: made me puke....Fun..., huh ??

:shock: :roll: [smilie=1: :kidding:

Jerry

762 shooter
05-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Stick on wheel weights are the nastiest.

Last time I melted those I threw a couple of handfuls of pet bedding cedar chips in the pot and my neighbors thought I had a great smelling campfire going.

I'm sure the chips act as flux as they burn and disintegrate.

Lizard333
05-23-2012, 04:04 PM
First time I smelted my WW's I was sick that day and part of the next. Avoid breathing the fumes for sure. Not a good feeling.

lwknight
05-23-2012, 07:49 PM
LOL!! Its the chaws and tobacco spit that stinks so bad!
Always be careful. There could be used needles or anything else in there too.

Defcon-One
05-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Three things:

1.) Welcome to the board. Your ingots look great, not too hot of a melt and it looks to be near pure lead.

2.) You should wear better shoes and long pants. Something that will protect your legs and feet the way those gloves protect your hands. If you get a big spill, which can happen, you'll be glad you weren't wearing those opened toed sandles and shorts. SERIOUSLY!

3.) I love the smelting setup and the wind screen in pic #1 is awesome. Where did you get it? I want one!

Watch out, your gonna get addicted!

DC-1

gbrown
05-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Nice looking ingots!! +1 with Defcon-One. I wear long pants, old BDU jacket, welding gloves, and a face shield. It's already in the 90's here. You gotta just jump in, like you did. Learn as you go, listen to the sages here. It takes time. WW, both clip on and stick on, both of which I will be doing in the next couple of days, just fire 'em up, walk off and let 'em melt. After all the fumes are gone, come back, flux a couple of times (your call), skim and pour.

Gtek
05-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Welcome to the sickness. I agrre with the earlier post, get on some good shoes, eye pro. Want it to keep being enjoyable, things can go real ugly real fast. Gtek

GaryN
05-23-2012, 08:59 PM
You think wheel weights stink try acid core solder. I melted down 25 lbs. I got on a deal. Luckily I was outside and stood upwind. Boy that stuff is toxic.

gbrown
05-23-2012, 09:35 PM
+1 with GaryN. Have done a lot of it. Don't want any of the fumes. Smelt, let fumes go bye, bye, flux and pour. I smelt outside with a strong wind. Fumes are BAD. Stay away and let them burn off. Flux it good. It'll work.

fishindad
05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I would love to get ahold of some range lead at some point. That would be way easier. Your comments on safety ... I thought the same thing afterwards. I should have worn my work boots and pants. I had the apron and gloves... Lesson learned there.

DC-1 that wind screen is just a lip around my turkey fryer. It is kinda cool. It prevents the fryer pot from tipping.

a.squibload
05-24-2012, 04:01 AM
Didn't notice the sandals, was lookin' at the poached-egg ingots, good stuff!
Now solder two of them together and you got a round ball for your
40mm smokepole...:wink:

Defcon-One
05-24-2012, 06:41 PM
....DC-1 that wind screen is just a lip around my turkey fryer. It is kinda cool. It prevents the fryer pot from tipping.

OK, I got it now! In the pics it looked to be removable and taller than it probably is.

I'd love one like that about 6-7" high, made of good steel and a perfect fit around my pot. Right now I have a modified aluminum fryer pan that I cut the bottom out of. I guess that is good enough.

Take Care and Enjoy!

DC-1

lwknight
05-24-2012, 10:17 PM
You think wheel weights stink try acid core solder. I melted down 25 lbs. I got on a deal. Luckily I was outside and stood upwind. Boy that stuff is toxic.
Acid core solder is a tough row to hoe. It tins up on everything and to top it off the acid is zinc chloride so you get a bit of zinc in your lead.

A tidbit of info: You can make zinc cloride by dissolving zinc in muratic acid. When t he acid cannot react anymore to zinc , carefully boil it down at low temp ( just barely boiling) to a paste. Violah!! you have a self tinning solder paste flux.

Warning:: Never use zinc cloride flux on anything electrical. You will have a dead short from everything to everywhere. Now how would I know that? LOL.