PDA

View Full Version : Brag!

gasboffer
05-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Sunday my grandson and I went to the range just to practice and play. I had an XDM.45 4.5" He had a Henry Lever .357, and a scoped .22 bolt action, don't recall the make.
We were shooting at a golf ball, It disappered on the first hit. No idea where it went, a soft-ball, cartridge cases, etc. I had hung a gallon milk jug from a target frame by a string. We hit the milk-jug with ease most of the time,
shooting from a shade with a bench at 37 yards. He was shooting from the bench and I was shooting standing with the XDM. My load was Lyman 200 SWC and 5.9gr. 231.
He said "I''ll show you how to hit the string!" He shot about 5 times with the .357 Henry (Iron sights), no luck, then started shooting with the scoped .22. He shot about 10 times without hitting the string. I stood up and said, "I'll show you how it's done". I shot about four times, then hit the string. I just sat down and didn't say a word.
I'm 80 years old, so I feel like I can brag a little, even if it may have been just luck!
Clyde

Lizard333
05-23-2012, 11:03 AM
I did something similar last thanksgiving. We had a family outing and we had a steel plate hanging from a mesquite branch at 80 yards. We had been shooting at it with rifles, having a great time. I got my 1911, with my own cast boolits, and shot it three times in a row. Sat back down and watched everyone else try to duplicate it. Not that day!!

Gtek
05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
By this weekend you should say you missed three times on purpose to not hurt his feelings! Gtek

RACWIN375
05-23-2012, 11:49 AM
not luck 70 years of working on that shot

Rick

44man
05-23-2012, 06:58 PM
HEE, HEE, made me laugh with the fun you were having!
Show the young wipersnappers how it is done!

waksupi
05-23-2012, 07:48 PM
The best part, was you had a witness!

williamwaco
05-23-2012, 07:50 PM
It ain't bragging if you can do it.

----- Yogi Berra

Eric H
05-23-2012, 07:59 PM
I am Impressed. Your modesty is overwelming. You even showed great consideration by intentionaly missing the first three shots.
I bet your grandson will be telling that one to there grandsons. My dad always pretends to let me outshoot him. then just before we rap it up for the day. He always makes these crazy shots that would take me all day to do. then he looks at me with the same grin .As we are heading home.

Alan in Vermont
05-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Back when I was shooting sillywets I was playing with a .357 Dan Wesson belonging to a friend. We were on the 150 yd line, those deceptive **** turkeys. I was shooting prone, my buddy was spotting, took me a couple rounds to figure out where the DW was shooting for me. The owner was real proud of the DA pull on that gun, so once I was hitting he told me to try it DA. I did,,, BANG,,,,,,,,,,,,,, CLANG! At that point I had three rounds left in the gun and three birds standing. I stood up, said something to the effect of "Watch this!" and rolled the last three rounds out DA. BANG,, CLANG BANG,,,,,CLANG BANG,,,CLANG!

I handed him back the gun and declined to try again.

Thumbcocker
05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
With age and wisdom one can keep an "I do that all the time" expression in those situations. Your load is .1 grain below my favorite .45acp load for Ruger convertibles with that boolit.

dbarnhart
05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
My son, US Army Infantry fire team leader and squad designated marksman is one whole heck of a lot better shot with a rifle than I am. With a pistol though it's exactly the opposite. As a result, it's been an enjoyable experience for both of us teaching each other.

Echo
05-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Sunday my grandson and I went to the range just to practice and play. I had an XDM.45 4.5" He had a Henry Lever .357, and a scoped .22 bolt action, don't recall the make.
We were shooting at a golf ball, It disappered on the first hit. No idea where it went, a soft-ball, cartridge cases, etc. I had hung a gallon milk jug from a target frame by a string. We hit the milk-jug with ease most of the time,
shooting from a shade with a bench at 37 yards. He was shooting from the bench and I was shooting standing with the XDM. My load was Lyman 200 SWC and 5.9gr. 231.
He said "I''ll show you how to hit the string!" He shot about 5 times with the .357 Henry (Iron sights), no luck, then started shooting with the scoped .22. He shot about 10 times without hitting the string. I stood up and said, "I'll show you how it's done". I shot about four times, then hit the string. I just sat down and didn't say a word.
I'm 80 years old, so I feel like I can brag a little, even if it may have been just luck!
Clyde

I did almost the same thing over 50 years ago when I was an electronics instructor @ Bitburg AB, Germany. Well, almost the same - I was teaching a class,and had a fat-cat pointer in my hand , pointing to the greenboard, and this fat German housefly (about the size of the first joint of my thumb!) kept buzzing around me. I finally took a swipe at him as he went past, and knocked him for a loop. I then turned back to the board, and listened to the 'Gahhhs...' from the students. Never tried it again...

Hang Fire
05-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Clyde

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

I am 73 and not so good a shot as once thought I was. but seems every time out with kids and grandkids, I manage to impress them. They still cannot get over how good I am at just point and shoot with handguns. I have never told them how many boolits I go through practicing when they are not around.

Bill*
05-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Not quite the same as shooting, but many years ago, I took a semi-auto .22 pistol in to a gun shop to be D&Ted for a scope mount. When the counter guy racked it to make sure it was empty, the little red plastic snapcap type thing I had in there (to relieve spring pressure during storage) came flying out. My hands were flat on the countertop. Somehow I quickly flicked my right hand up like getting sworn in and caught it behind my right ear. I never moved my head and then acted like it was nothing as I put it on the counter, (It was lucky as heck)The look on his face was priceless.

44man
05-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Years ago we were shooting a blowgun across the yard at the old garage. Went to pull the darts and I had one stuck through the center of a fly, told everyone I seen it and hit it! :veryconfu