PDA

View Full Version : Miha 200-452

Longone
05-23-2012, 10:50 AM
I just cast yesterday with it for the very first time and I have a question. It seems the boolits nearest the handles have a little "flash" at the base due to a bit of a gap between the sprue plate and the top of the mold. Is this normal? Can it be corrected?

Thanks Longone

slide
05-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Did you check the sprue plate screw?

max it
05-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Hey, I bought new set screws for the sprue plate holding screw. if your's is missing, the set screw PM me and I will send one. I had to buy 100 to get one, no biggie as they were $8. from Fastenal store.
Max

Moonie
05-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I run mine very loose, this solved the issue for me.

Longone
05-23-2012, 12:03 PM
I did check the sprue plate screw and the spacer, all looked good but what do I know this is my first mold from Miha. The set screw was (is) in place and doesn't appear to be an issue.

I'll try backing off the adjustment and see if that helps.

Longone

Iron Mike Golf
05-23-2012, 12:22 PM
The sprue plate hold down screw for each MP mold I have bought has been too tight for my taste. It's probably good that it is tight during shipping, but I loosen them.

I run mine so there is just a touch of drag. Usually, over tight raises the plate above the cavity furthest from the handles. I have seen what appears like galling on the top of the mold block around the hole for the hold down screw. Maybe you have a ridge that needs knocked down.

I'd also check for flatness of the underside and for any dings or burrs on the edges of the plate.

Longone
05-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Well I backed it off as Moonie suggested and it seems OK. Is that the way they are supposed to be run? If so it's going to take me awhile to get used to that.
Whole new world after casting with a iron 4 cavity for a long time to get used to how much heat the mold likes and getting the timing down.

Longone

runfiverun
05-23-2012, 12:53 PM
it likes a lot of heat if it's brass.
brass is between iron and aluminum in it's casting likes and heat zone.
you want the sprue plate flat on top of the mold, it vents air too.
if you overtighten them it lifts the other end up,and i have seen them too loose and the cavity closest to the sprue plate get the finning.

Moonie
05-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Each mold is an entity unto itself, not all are the same and when you start playing with different materials and makers, well, you need to learn what the mold wants and likes.