PDA

View Full Version : Cimarron Arms - customer service ?????

berkmberk1
04-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Anybody have any experience with trying to get customer service from Cimarron? I've emailed them twice, yesterday (not expecting much so soon) and almost two months ago about a pistol that looks beautiful but shoots like junk. Right now its the most expensive paperweight I own!

Mike:mad:

44man
04-16-2007, 11:00 PM
OH, this is tempting, but to keep the peace, I won't say it.

berkmberk1
04-16-2007, 11:06 PM
not fair...........I won't be able to sleep tonite until you say it..............:-D

32 20 Mike
04-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Anybody have any experience with trying to get customer service from Cimarron? I've emailed them twice, yesterday (not expecting much so soon) and almost two months ago about a pistol that looks beautiful but shoots like junk. Right now its the most expensive paperweight I own!

Mike:mad:

I likewise have a Cimarron P- jr. 32-20 / 32 mag. The fit, finish & timing is out standing ( Uberti does good work) then I fire it.... I thought someone had used a load of 00 buck on my target. It was about 12 inches to the right and almost off the paper at the bottom. I tried both loads and they hit the same. The sight grove was so narrow the front covered it. My Ruger 44 Vaquero shoots clover leafs at 50 ft, from sand bags. I tried calling the phone # on the box from Tx. and it was not working. Then Emailed the web site, no answer. Even asked for an safety manual saying it was a liability issue: no response!!!! In frustration I took a set of die files and a small vice to the range and cut the sights to about 1/2 of its hight and opened up the rear so it prints at 6'oclock at 50 ft. (it only took about 300 rounds and s-l-o-w filing. ON a good day it will shoot 1 inch groups at 50 ft. BUT FOR THAT KIND OF MONEY..... I SHOULD NOT NEED A GUNSMITH... I do love it now, as it is my favorite: alas 32-20 mike !

berkmberk1
04-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Something that doesn't work I can deal with. Getting service from someone who gives you instructions on how to contact them and then won't talk is something else.

I just discovered my .45 Cavalry model (built around 1990 and having spent most of its life on my closet shelf...long story) has a .455 bore! and .460 cylinder throats!!! I might as well load buck shot! No wonder even .454s didn't help except to get some groups with REALLY BIG HOLES in them!:-D

The smith (second one) I took it to measured it and told me to send it back (don't know if he doesn't want to work on it or only figures it smart to let the "factory" fix it) as it needs a new barrel and cylinder with proper specs fitted.

I know I'll have to pay (and probably thru the nose) but I can't even do that if they don't talk to me..........

Mike

Dale53
04-17-2007, 12:43 AM
I can only talk about a few years ago. Soon after Cimarron started shipping the .44 Special Single Action I bought one. Really nice looking and an absolutely excellent trigger. Shoots really well. Soon after I got it, something broke inside (probably a spring). Since the gun was new I didn't try to take it apart. I called Cimarron, sent the revolver in and had it back working perfectly in two weeks "door to door".

However, the sights are copies of the original Colt sights and are entirely too fine (almost a knife slit in the top of the frame). It doesn't quite shoot to the sights but fairly close (about 3" left at 25 yards). I have just been remiss about following through. I will open the rear sight slot in the proper direction.

I have had two Ruger Vaqueros (one was a straight .45 Colt Vaquero 4 5/8" and the latest is a .45 Colt Bisley Vaquero 5.5"). Both of them had perfect windage. The first had a higher front sight than necessary, but that was just fine. I carefully, over a three session period, filed down the front sight and it shot to sights perfectly with my chosen load.

The Bisley Vaquero hits dead on at 25 yards. I changed absolutely NOTHING. I have won several black powder score matches with that revolver. My best was a 92 at fifty yards on the NRA Pistol target. For me that represents excellent shooting with black powder.

I need to "get on the stick" and get my .44 Special sighted properly as it shoots very well.

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
04-17-2007, 09:31 AM
had a 44 special thunderer and really liked it. At 14 months the front sight flew off when i was shooting it. I returned it for repair and was sent a 95 dollar bill for reataching the sight and reblueing the barrel. I called and told them that the gun wasnt abused and it happened while shooting and even an untrained eye could see that it wasnt silver solder correctly. They told me in no uncertain terms that if i wanted my gun back to pay the bill as there warantee is only for one year. I paid, got it back and sold it emediately.

Dale53
04-17-2007, 11:09 AM
LLoyd Smale;
What a bummer! When S&W was owned by the British I had two handguns just over the warranty limit that failed from poor workmanship. It cost me $65.00 per gun plus shipping to get them fixed. And they weren't nice about it. This, after years of Smith taking care of customers forever! One of the revolvers had the hammer pivot pin break off where it was fastened into the frame. Hardly something home gun smithing could fix. The other one had the pawl on the extractor improperly heat treated (soft as butter).

I was definitely bummed out.

Sh*t happens, I guess. I didn't buy another Smith until they changed hands.

Dale53

berkmberk1
04-17-2007, 01:20 PM
OK experts (someone!) Who can tell me the original specifications for the Colt .45 caliber, M1873? Reason being, I was thinking I might be able to salvage this seeming disaster.

Considering the original bullet was soft lead, hollow based/skirted, the skirt being expanded on detonation of the black powder charge, sealing the throat - forcing cone - barrel (and providing a surface that engaged the lands and grooves), then the dimensions of my piece would lend themselves toward BP shooting most excellently (premsumably).

Which gets back to one of my earlier posts..........the search for a true hollow base .45 slug............eh!? Remington used to make one but modified it to a concave base, not hollow. Can anyone help me on that too?

Mike

Lloyd Smale
04-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Look in back issues of handloader magazine. Someone not to long ago did an article on using hollow based soft bullet in I think a webly to get accuracy. I think it was Ventura.

berkmberk1
07-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I took my "Colt" to my local smith about two months ago to have them rebarrel and fit a new cylinder. I called them recently to find out how it was going. I was told they sent it to Cimarron because "it never should have left the factory the way it was." It will be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

Swagerman
07-06-2007, 10:58 PM
The fellows here talking hollow base bullets are giving a good fix for a revolver with bad deminsions.

I have a model 2 S&W WW-1 era revolver, contract gun to the brits. It has very simular deminsions as your .455 barrel and .460 cylinder. The firearm only requires some well crafted hollow base bullets. The HB are usually never more than 1/8 to 1/4 deep depending on bullet weight. . .accuracy is quite good.

But I agree, no late model made revolver should have to have those deminsions. Factory should make good on it.

Jim

Here's some 230 grain RNHB work shot in the above S&W.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P9050008-2.jpg

The gun used.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P1010002croppedbritend.jpg

Denver
07-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I bought a Cimmarron Lightning 38Spl several years back. It had about a 19 pound hammer pull and a 3 ounce trigger. I guess I took it that way because they were new and real popular with the cowboy shooters at the time. I replaced the hammer spring with another lighter spring and pretty well cured the heavy hammer pull, but the light trigger wasn't something I felt comfortable with trying to fix. In the meantime I found that the hammer would drop from the half cock notch when the trigger was pulled because the sear wouldn't fully engage the notch. I finally was able to contact Cimmarron after several attempts and was told to send them the gun, and "OBTW" the warranty period is up and parts and labor will be on you. Anyway, to get to the point, I was in Texas last winter and contacted Cimmarron to tell them my tale. The lady I talked with informed me that I would have to take it to their local retailer in Fredericksburg (Texas Jacks) for service as they don't do any repair work in house. A visit to Texas Jacks later and the young man there said they don't do any work there, but had a local smith that did Cimmarrons warranty work. He couldn't say how long it might take, so if I wanted to leave it, they would send it to my dealer when it was done. That was in March, and I haven't heard a word since. I'm thinking maybe I should get hold of them and just have them send it back fixed or not. [smilie=1:

Denver
07-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Was in the garage a couple days ago casting a few, when the FedEx truck pulled in with a package. Wasn't expecting anything and was kinda puzzled as to who it was from. Well, lo and behold it was my pistola I'd left at Cimmarron months before all fixed and ready to go. No letter, no bill, no hassle. I'm Happy:-D

Need to give em a call and say Thanks.

:castmine: :Fire:

berkmberk1
09-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Found out my gun is back in town..........had to find out by calling my "Smith" since he didn't let ME know.

Just as I suspected........Cimmaron refused to consider fixing it gratis since it was "too old".

The Smith told me I should take it to a gun show, sell it, and buy something else!!! Heck, fixing it at the quoted price would cost me the same as buying another, considering what I paid for it. Went ahead and told him to fix it.

I just hope it doesn't take him another five months to do it...........

44man
09-08-2007, 08:19 AM
I guess I will say something! Imported stuff other then Pedersoli is hard to get anything done to. Depends on the importer of course and there are some that stand behind their stuff. But it seems as if a lot just want the money and forget about us.
You never know what you get for your money either unless it is a top notch maker. My friend just bought a Gamo break open pellet gun for squirrels, paid a good buck for it. It came with a scope and I made sure everything was tight. We could not keep it on paper at 20 yd's with a variety of pellets. It doesn't shoot any better then the Chinese pellet gun I paid $6 for. I have to wonder if the Gamo wasn't made in China.
He is sending it back!

berkmberk1
01-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Looking at my past posts, the last one is almost prophetic. I told the smith Oglesby and Oglesby Gun Makers (remember that name if you're from central Illinois) to just fix it, whatever the cost. To make a long and painful story very short, Bill Oglesby ruined the gun. He "sprung" the frame (in his words)! Without going into great detail about what transpired after that, let me say that for "satisfaction" I was offered, and eventually took, an EAA Bounty Hunter for cost. That was the best deal he would offer. I didn't like the deal, but then I had been through eight months of his being unavailable, not returning calls, and getting B.S. answers to my questions when I had to physically confront him in his shop. I didn't feel like filing an equallhy long and frustrating law suit that would cost me more than the pistol!

Needless to say, I will not only not recommend Oglesby and Oglesby to anyone needing work done, I will whole heartedly warn then NOT to use him!

Mike

45 2.1
01-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Needless to say, I will not only not recommend Oglesby and Oglesby to anyone needing work done, I will whole heartedly warn then NOT to use him! Mike

I've been to his shop and talked to him also. I got the same opinion of him after seeing some of his work in progress.

dubber123
01-07-2008, 07:38 PM
I've been to his shop and talked to him also. I got the same opinion of him after seeing some of his work in progress.

You sure this "gunsmith" isn't named Marty, and from Vermont, cuz, I'm SURE I know him![smilie=1: