PDA

View Full Version : Advice sub sonic 22RF ammo

Shooter6br
05-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Advice on sub sonic(quiet) 22 RF ammo for pest removal. (Chucks). I heard 22 CB Long are good.I dont like the crack of 22RF reglar HP ammo.Distance 40 yrds max. Thanks Rick

Gunor
05-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Just bought some CCI Quiet-22.
It is new product. I bought 500 rds for $26 at the show this weekend

40 gr @ 710 FPS

Shooting CB Longs was like lobbing artillery rounds downrange - you can see them run. Accuracy was minute of coffee cup.

These new rounds seem faster (710 FPS) and much more accurate (only shot 30 rds).

Try some

Geoff in Oregon

Shooter6br
05-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Thanks. The neighbors dont like the sonic"crack"

fecmech
05-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Just get some good standard velocity target ammo it runs about 1000-1075 fps and no sonic crack along with a very mild muzzle report. Most of it is extremely accurate.

bobthenailer
05-23-2012, 11:09 AM
I currently have on hand CCI 22 cb long , Aguila super colibri & colibri.
the CCI is my favorite @ 710 fps with a 29 gr bullet & the super colibri next @ 500 fps with a 20 gr bullet & the colbri @ 375 fps with a 20 gr bullet . they are accurate and quiet with the CCI being the loudest ,super colibri next quietest and colibra the quietest
You will have to find what ammo your gun likes the best ! or in some instances it my not like any of them . but most will like at least one kind with the cci probly will be the most accurate from the widest range of firearms. i limit my shooting to 25 yards or less with these rounds.

Artful
05-23-2012, 12:50 PM
How quiet do you need/want to go?

I generally use Aguila HP subsonic 38 grn

the 60 grn SSS don't stabilize out of a lot of barrels.

22 Short standard velocity HP work well out of a longer (20+") barrel

Gunor
05-23-2012, 12:55 PM
CCI Quiet 22 has a 40 gr going at 710 FPS - and as per bobthenailer - CB long only has a 29 gr going at the same speed.

So now I need to do some side by side comparisons on the Quiet vs. CB Long.

It looks like the 40 gr Quiet is ballistically superior to the CB long.

Sight in @ 50 yards - 6.4" vs. 6.7" drop (at least according to the CCI site.)

Energy @ 25 yards (more realistic range) - 40 ft lbs vs. 28 ft lbs.

Accuracy - have to try that at home.....but last night - I really like the 30 rds results (dirt clods...)

And CCI seems so much cleaner than the other brands

Geoff in Oregon

shooterg
05-23-2012, 02:37 PM
The ONLY Remington .22s I use are their subsonic loads. VEWWY, VEWWY quiet when shooting wabbits - or groundhogs !

Artful
05-23-2012, 02:57 PM
The ONLY Remington .22s I use are their subsonic loads. VEWWY, VEWWY quiet when shooting wabbits - or groundhogs !

I put Remington over chrono and quiet yes, consistent not really. Sounds like you got a better brick than I did. :bigsmyl2:

Gunor
05-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Is CCI more consistent than the remington?

I was not too impressed with the Remington Sub Sonic - A few failure to fire.

And i thought Remington was made someplace elese (Mexico...). Sorry I don't want to hijack the thread to dicuss where 22 shells are made.

Geoff

Artful
05-24-2012, 12:34 AM
In my experience
Aguila are Eley primed and consistent
CCI are primed by CCI and consistent

Peters/Remington years ago made great target ammo
- I don't know where the subsonic's come from now,
but I don't buy them unless I can't get something I prefer.
:shock:

greywolf444
05-24-2012, 01:13 PM
The cb longs are not really useful on critters as big as a woodchuck. the subs will work, sort of. I am working with the 'quiet' right now. seem fairly useful if you can make a headshot. I will be trying them on squirrels in 2-3 weeks. Seem to be about as accurate as the winchester sshp.

I just have to ask. How many chucks do you you have to deal with? And is this by chance in the suburbs? With your neighbors not liking the 'crack' of standard ammo, I suspect they are too close and you probably shouldn't be shooting. Is this groundhog causing some damage or just because you can? Maybe a trap is the wiser choice.

Last year I had a new neighbor move in from the city. Some one told them that If you see a groundhog you must kill it. Some **** about horses breaking legs. They don't own any horses. They shot at one in my fence. With a 357. Didn't realize bullets go somewhere after they hit the ground. skipped across my pasture and thru my kitchen window, missed me by 2 inches. missed my nephews temple by 3 inches. Was stopped by a stud in the wall across the room. My youngest was in the bathroom on the other side of the wall. If it had missed the stud he would have been hit about head high. This is serious business. Pay attention.

Shooter6br
05-24-2012, 01:50 PM
As Kit Carson said"Becarefull to aim and aim to be carefull"Safety is a must.

troy_mclure
05-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Just shot cci cb long and cci quiet. I filled the cylinder mo my single six with 3 of each randomly placed. You could not tell the difference by loudness, but the cci. Quiet is slightly " deeper" sounding, and the poi is about 2" lower than the cb at 50'.
The colbri and super colbri are both quieter, but not as accurate, the SSS is a bit louder, but not so loud you can't hear the bullet smack the target.
Btw the cb short and cb long both had the same poi out of my gun.

GKB22
05-25-2012, 09:16 PM
I shoot 22 LR a lot, mostly at matches and at pond turtles that eat my fish. Any decent grade of match ammo is very accurate and pretty quiet. So I totally agree with the earlier post that said the same thing. Quiet is not an issue with me out here where I live, accuracy is.

uscra112
05-28-2012, 02:04 AM
I once killed a skunk with a lung shot using CB Long, and it'll do the same on rabbits, but chucks are another matter. Even using flat-pointed MiniMags I have to make a perfect head shot or it'll take me three rounds before the critter stops moving. I'm also well out of town, and I now use .22 Hornet for any chuck beyond 40 yards or so. Even the hot rimfire ammo just doesn't kill 'em DRT most of the time. If the O.P. wants a quiet way of dispatching chucks, maybe .32 S&W Short in a rifle?

429421Cowboy
05-29-2012, 03:09 PM
If i was going to shoot a chuck with anything but a Stinger i would use the 60 grain Aguila's i just picked up at the gunshow and flatpointed. We shot alot of chucks when we were younger with our .22's and the bulk hp's we shot for gophers and anything less than a head shot would let them crawl back down their holes. Testing i did last summer with the CCI CB's showed very quiet loads, but even flatpointed they would not stop gophers before they made it to their holes, i would not tackle a woodchuck with them unless really hardpressed.

Lee
05-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Well, I ain't tried it yet, but you fellers are aware of some rumors that the Aquila primer powered sdtuff is only to be shot outta pistols? Claim is that in a rifle the little lead thingie might stick in the barrel. And then the next trigger pull gets REAL exciting!

As I said, I don't know. Just sayin.... Any comments welcome ...... Lee:|

429421Cowboy
05-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Well, I ain't tried it yet, but you fellers are aware of some rumors that the Aquila primer powered sdtuff is only to be shot outta pistols? Claim is that in a rifle the little lead thingie might stick in the barrel. And then the next trigger pull gets REAL exciting!

I had heard that as well, but nowhere on the box does it say so on the SSS ammo i have, which is the only reason i bought it. the SSS ammo are noticeably louder than CB's out of the same gun, haven't crony'ed them but it would almost seem that they are faster.

Artful
05-30-2012, 07:29 PM

Your refering to the Aguila Colibri

Midway desc:

Aguila ammunition features a wide variety of unique loads for special rimfire applications. Colibri Ammunition is one the quietest rounds available. This makes it the perfect round for practice and high volume shooting. Aguila ammunition is new-production and non-corrosive.

PLEASE NOTE that this is not loaded with gunpowder. It is intended for training purposes only.

Technical Information
Caliber: 22 Long Rifle
Bullet Weight: 20 Grains
Bullet Style: Solid Point

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 375 fps
Muzzle Energy: 6 ft. lbs.

Cheaper than dirt desc:

Manufacturer: Aguila 1B222339
Item: AMM-066
UPC: 640420001289

.22 Long Rifle, Aguila Super Colibri, 20 Grain Lead Round Nose Bullet, 500 Round Brick.

Aguila Super Colibri is super quiet ammo that does not contain gun powder but fires from the force of the primer only. Powerful and silent, great for use in urban areas. This is a 20 grain solid lead bullet in a brass case. Will break glass and penetrate hard tin cans. Velocity is 500 fps at the muzzle with 11 ft/lbs of energy and can be lethal. This ammo works great and is intended for .22 handguns only.

Non returnable item.

Not recommended for use in long barreled guns as the projectile may become lodged and be dangerous (lethal) if a regular cartridge is shot as a follow up. Will not cycle in semi auto guns.
Uses: Indoor training, pest control.

Cabela's desc:

Aguila .22 LR Super Colibri

The Super Colibri fires without a powder charge. It pushes a light 20-grain bullet at 500 fps with little noise. Will not cycle in most semi-automatic firearms. Great for young shooters and for use in revolvers. For use with handguns only. Per 500 rounds.
Available: .22 Super Colibri.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Common/logos/ammo.gif

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Common/logos/ammo_restrict.gif

Having shown this I have fired out of handguns and rifles - Never had a stuck bullet in MY GUNS, but I have a friend who in a new rifle got one stuck. As I always carry a sectional cleaning rod in my gun box, we had no problem pushing it out. I think after he fires 5K or more of regular ammo and smooths up his bore it will take the lower power rounds as well. The Colibris have problems with the tighter and rougher bores, too, it seems. And I'd be careful if you have one of the rifles with really long barrels as well :shock:

That's why the came up with the more powerful Super Colibris, to let it be shot thru rifle or pistol.

frankenfab
05-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Peters/Remington years ago made great target ammo
- I don't know where the subsonic's come from now,
but I don't buy them unless I can't get something I prefer.
:shock:

Artful,

The RP ammo plant is one of my customers. "Someone" there told me that he felt the quality of their rimfire ammo went down when they stopped manufacturing their own rimfire priming compound.

uscra112
05-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Artful,

The RP ammo plant is one of my customers. "Someone" there told me that he felt the quality of their rimfire ammo went down when they stopped manufacturing their own rimfire priming compound.

Excuses, excuses.

Their weight variance alone shows that their overall process control is horrible, so far as the versions I've evaluated are concerned. Thunderbolt often has a weight variance of 3 or 4 whole grains over 100 rounds. Good ammo like CCI Minimags and Auto Match vary a couple or three tenths of a grain. Priming may contribute a bunch to the poor quality of Remington ammo, but even with perfect priming that weight variance alone would make it shoot patterns and not groups.

Going "outside" for a key component is usually a bean-counter decision. GM was almost destroyed in the late '80s by a bean-counter (Lopez) who insisted on cheapening the engine block castings. The iron in them was so bad that all the engines needed ring jobs at under 100K miles. While by 1995 they had gotten rid of Lopez and changed back to good iron, their reputation still suffers. Today they make better engines than the Japanese can do on their best day, but nobody believes it. Hell, I was there. Saw it all. Burned the T-shirt.

Remington is run by a big conglomerate of bean counters, as we know. . . :killingpc.

Hamish
05-30-2012, 09:14 PM
I can give you direct experience on the priming compound only little "pointy heads"
I never had a problem shooting them out of a match chamber 14" Contender.
Very first shot in a 20" rifle and it failed to exit, stuck at about the 17" point.

I have read of several instances of this.

Jailer
05-30-2012, 09:37 PM
CCI standard velocity. Quiet, cheap (if bought in bulk) and accurate.

http://www.championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=1089&cat=285&page=1

mstarling
05-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Even out in the country neighbors respond badly to 22 LR gunfire at night. And that is, of course, exactly the time when one usually has problems with critters like opossum and such. Finally got it well handled. Had an High Standard M106 in the safe that I bought more than 40 years ago and never got a lot of use. Could not bear to hack on the original barrel, so ordered a new one from Brownell's and had it threaded while I waited for a Form 4 to be approved by the BATFE. Here is the result:

http://www.mstarling.com/Album/HS_Paradigm_vsm.jpg

With CCI SV standard velocity ammo and the Bower's Paradigm can it shoots quarter sized groups at 40 yards. We no longer bug the neighbors dealing with critters.

jh45gun
05-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Just shot cci cb long and cci quiet. I filled the cylinder mo my single six with 3 of each randomly placed. You could not tell the difference by loudness, but the cci. Quiet is slightly " deeper" sounding, and the poi is about 2" lower than the cb at 50'.
The colbri and super colbri are both quieter, but not as accurate, the SSS is a bit louder, but not so loud you can't hear the bullet smack the target.
Btw the cb short and cb long both had the same poi out of my gun.

Your not going to get quiet out of a revolver. even a pistol is gonna be louder than a rifle. You need a closed chamber the best would be a rifle with a longer barrel.

jh45gun
05-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Artful,

I am 60 years old I shot the Remington Golden bullets back in the 60's and early 70's and even back then I had misfires with them. I quit buying Remington bullets for that reason back then and never went back. UNTIL a couple of years ago I ran into some bricks of Thunderbolt at a rummage sale for 10 dollars a brick. I bought three of them this was at the time that rimfire ammo was selling for about 35 dollars a brick. I felt for 10 dollars it was worth it even for a few misfires. Funny thing is I have not had one misfire yet. I was surprised. Not that I would buy more if I could get other ammo for the same going price but this Thunderbolt has not treated me bad and has been accurate enough through my Marlin 80 I have been shooting it up at my Silhouette matches.

Artful
05-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Even out in the country neighbors respond badly to 22 LR gunfire at night. And that is, of course, exactly the time when one usually has problems with critters like opossum and such. Finally got it well handled. Had an High Standard M106 in the safe that I bought more than 40 years ago and never got a lot of use. Could not bear to hack on the original barrel, so ordered a new one from Brownell's and had it threaded while I waited for a Form 4 to be approved by the BATFE. Here is the result:

http://www.mstarling.com/Album/HS_Paradigm_vsm.jpg

With CCI SV standard velocity ammo and the Bower's Paradigm can it shoots quarter sized groups at 40 yards. We no longer bug the neighbors dealing with critters.

Nice looking setup - it's a shame we have to jump thru so many .gov hoops to be considerate of our hearing and our neighbor's peace and quiet. :veryconfu

jh45gun
05-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Well local gun shop has 3 boxes they claim of Quiet yet so I told them hang on to them I will take all three boxes tomorrow and I will try them out Sat.

Landric
06-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I've had great luck with Aguila Super Extra Subsonic out of my Savage MkII FV-SR. It is accurate, and even without the suppressor it is pretty quiet. I have the rifle zeroed at 50 yards, it hit POA at 100 yards I have to run my (1/4 MOA per click) scope up 30 clicks.

I've never had a failure to fire with Aguila, but I have yet to run any over the chronograph to see how consistent they are. I will say that with the accuracy I am getting I think they are likely pretty consistent.

jh45gun
06-05-2012, 06:05 PM
The CCI Quiet is awesome stuff and accurate and you do not have to adjust your sights from LR.

eck0313
06-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Sorry to be a kiil-joy, but the .22 LR is marginal for groundhogs. I've killed them with a .22, and people will still be shooting them for the forseeable future, but it's not really a humane way to shoot them.

Aim for the eye, or if facing away, the base of the skull. Don't try body shots.