PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a tang sight

horsesoldier
05-22-2012, 03:29 AM
One of friends a number of years ago showed me a sight for his muzzleloader.I want to say it was a tang apeture sight, but it had two setting on it. One for shorter range and the other for a longer range.I havent found anything online like it yet. I am thinking something like that could be pretty handy if it was still made.

451 Pete
05-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Thompson Center used to make a tang mounted rear sight but I dont believe it has been a part of thier product line for a number of years. There are any number of vernier rear sights available but generally speaking it is like the old saying ... you can get cheap but not good or good but they are not cheap.
In my opinion if you are going to purchase one of these make sure that you get some sort of a windage adjustment on the sight as almost all inexpensive vernier sights do not have this. You may want to check out Buffalo Arms. They have a pretty large selection of these type of sights but they are not inexpensive.

Pete

oldracer
05-22-2012, 11:18 AM
I tried a tang sight on my Hawken to see if targets would be easier to see? Did not work out as well as I hoped for several reasons. First, the sight had to fastened to the stock about 75% of it's base due to the small amount of curve on the tang area as compared to a Sharps or Rolling Block. Once I got it mounted, I had to cut it some so the eye piece block would come down far enough and even then with the tallest front globe I could find it bottomed out at 100 YDS. Finally it was not repeatable for some reason and I am not sure why, make because it was sitting mostly on the stock so I ended up going back to the factory sight which works great.

05-22-2012, 01:25 PM
horsesoldier,
As 451 Pete said, T/C made a couple of different tang mounted adjustable peeps back in the day. One was for the full-sized "Hawken" rifles and one was made for the smaller "Senecas". I still see them advertised here and there- some I think are NOS and some are used. They mount very easily on that genre of ML but may require a drill and tap for some of the Italian T/C type guns. They are compact, strong and work very well but their adjustments are more crude than many of the more expensive sights. But I don't spend a lot of time adjusting back and forth for different ranges with a short-range-by-nature muzzleloader once the sights are set on my zero.... usually about 75 yards. Once set and for insurance I just put a little loc tite or nail polish on the adjustment screws. With any ML that has a hooked breech the tang must be fitted to the breech so that doesn't shift around and it's always a good idea to bed the tang and at least the breech area so those don't shift around.

T/C adjustable peep mounted on T/C "Hawken" tang.

wgr
05-22-2012, 03:21 PM
try track of the wolf

White Smoke
07-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Call Williams Gunsights at 1-800-530-9028 and talk to them. I have two muzzleloaders that I have put tang peeps on and they improved the accuracy tremendously. I can't think of the model number but they can tell you in a second. They are great people to work with.

Tatume
07-08-2012, 07:53 PM
As 451 Pete said, T/C made a couple of different tang mounted adjustable peeps back in the day. One was for the full-sized "Hawken" rifles and one was made for the smaller "Senecas".

I have one of them, and it fits the New Englander and the Renegade (and I presume, the T/C Hawken, but I don't have one on which to try it). It's a nice little sight, though it could stand to be polished.

It mounts to one tang screw, and it is required to drill and tap another hole in the Renegade or New Englander.

I see them for sale often, but you have to look around. I found some this week while looking for another type of sight.

Take care, Tom

HARRYMPOPE
07-08-2012, 08:07 PM
the Lyman 57 is a good one and available.

idahoron
07-08-2012, 10:57 PM
I like the Lyman 57's a lot. Ron