PDA

View Full Version : LittleMachineShop.com too high on S&H

Swagerman
04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
I thought I like dealing with these folks, until today.

First of all, the adjustable tool post (#1785 TS Engineering) for my 7X10 HF mini-lathe has defective cut-off holder that won't retain the cut-off blade.

It became defective from practically the day I got it, the left blade insert edge on the holder became rounded off for some reason...the blade will not stay in the holder it keeps popping out.

Apparantly the #1785 TS Engineering Tool Post is not listed in their catalog anymore.

They said I'm using too small a blade, and I should order one of their 1/2 inch tall blades. Swell, which one do I order. They quote a price of $7.95 and S&H tacked on would bring it up to nearly $20.00 total.

Well, screw that...no way, Hose Jose.

Here is the little piece of crap I bought from them some time back.

Anyone got any 1/2 inch tall cut-off blades they can sell me with a realistic postal mailing price.

Jim

Note: I've got the small cut-off blade inserted to the right side which is wrong for lathe cutting...but it highlights the worn off edge on the cut ledge.

As you can see the holder is able to take a taller 1/2 inch tall blade.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P8120013Cutofftool672X.jpg

scrapcan
04-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Swagerman,

Could you get someone to mill that piece for you? It looks like it needs to be corrected. might be able to put a small negative slope to the ledge and it may keep the blade more secure.

If I were you I would find someone with a mill or lathe with mill attachment and fix it. You know it is junk to the company that built so you might as well try.

Swagerman
04-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Manleyjt, thanks for the imput and suggestion.

But right now, I'd settle for someone selling me 1/16" thick X 1/2 " tall blade X 4 -1/2" inches long on mailing one to me.

I never liked these little puny small blades shown in my above picture, not worth a hoot.

The one pictured below is what I really need.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/480cut-offblade.jpg

leftiye
04-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Look at MSC (1 800 645 7270) If they don't have it (no one will) at least they'll send you a free 4000 page book!

uscra112
05-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Coupla things:

1. The clamp bar may need to be shimmed up in back when using that tool. If it's too low, the bar will sit at an angle and try to wedge the tool right out of the holder as you tighten it, just like squeezing a watermelon seed from your fingers. That tool may be taller than the holder was made for, hence the need for a shim.

2. I bought that same toolpost kit and put it on my Prazi lathe about 4 years ago. Hasn't given me any trouble at all. But I did not buy the cutoff blade holder.

3. Manhattan Supply = mscdirect.com
J&L Industrial Supply = jlindustrial.com

Me, I much prefer J&L. Mainly because they have a retail store near Detroit, and it's open Saturdays. I find that, generally, you will have a better choice of quality, too. For any given tool, they sell the top-grade brands and then they also have "import" grades which are often good enough for our uses and a lot cheaper.

4. It would be easy to make a new clamp bar - order up a bit of ground tool-steel stock the right size, cut to length, and drill the holes.

Swagerman
05-05-2007, 08:47 PM
A new tool post cut-off holder is being fabricated by an expert machinest. :drinks:

Jim

dragonrider
05-06-2007, 09:50 AM
With the edge worn or rounded I really doubt that a taller tool will hold any better than the smaller one. A new tool holder as you mentioned is a good idea, it should be made of some tough material like 4150 pre-heat treated. Hope it works out for you.

Jon K
05-06-2007, 11:50 AM
I feel for you , but like everything in machining "Make sure you're right before you go ahead". Everyone makes left and right tools, and size it for your application. My personal choice is KDK or Sandvic, I wouldn't buy anything "Made in India".
A good quality tool will last you a lifetime. "A working man can only afford to buy it once, so buy the best".

Jon

Swagerman
05-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Sorry about the cheap India cut-off blade in the picture, it was all I had at the time.

Where I live in the far north central Wisconsin is like being on the moon for trying to buy any lathe products like the tools mentioned.

All we have plenty of is Cranberrys, ponds of the blasted red berrys are as close as a mile from my house. I live near the cranberry hub of the nation. :mrgreen:

I'm told by the gent who is making my cut-off holder that it will be done in his usual fantastic quality. He didn't say that, but I did...he is one of the best.

Jim

leftiye
05-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Take a dovetail cutter and undercut the edge(s) of that tool holder. First though, maybe mill those overhangs a little deeper. Then it should hold almost any tool of appropriate size well.

Buckshot
05-07-2007, 11:52 PM
............If you still need a blade I'm sure I've got one you can have. Lemme know.

.............Buckshot

Swagerman
05-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks, Mr. B. But the benevolent machinest is fixing me up with one...I think.

Nice of you to offer though. :)

Jim

exblaster
05-08-2007, 10:35 AM
I had the same problem . I drill and taped the side of the holder and added a plate to support the cutter.
Exblaster

Buckshot
05-09-2007, 02:48 AM
.............These are the 2 types of cut off tools I use:

http://www.fototime.com/BE4B06482FE9A4A/standard.jpg

Left is a carbide insert type. That Rex blade on the right looks like the tip is broken, but it isn't (have to look close :-)). Also if you'll notice that Rex blade has a 3/16 bit under it to get the tip up to get it centered. BTW, the Rex AA's I have are 1/2" wide so if you do end up needing one, lemme know.

http://www.fototime.com/2024DF1D694C1DC/standard.jpg

I grind the top of the blade back with 15* backrake.

http://www.fototime.com/D03172DC0FF3AFC/standard.jpg

One of my triumphs (showing off) I hold close and warmly to my bosom :rolleyes: is that I've never had any problems in parting off. I even use power crossfeed sometimes! Seems like a lot of folks can have issues. The guy I bought my lathe from is scared to death of it and usually uses a hacksaw. I just set it up like the book says and no problem.

................Buckshot

Swagerman
05-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Mr. B, that is very good information from your picture on the blade sharpening angle technique.

I will save that in my photo album for future reference. :coffeecom

Many thanks, Jim :drinks:

Buckshot
05-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Mr. B, that is very good information from your picture on the blade sharpening angle technique.

I will save that in my photo album for future reference. :coffeecom

Many thanks, Jim :drinks:

............Just be sure with the extra backrake that the tool doesn't want to get sucked into the work! Gotta watch the feed.

.............Buckshot

Swagerman
05-22-2007, 01:43 PM
update on Kenjuudo master machinest made me a whole new cut-off blade holder for my tool post. It is the knees bees, the beans jeans...it is stupindous piece of workmanship. What a guy ole Jim is.

Its also the first time I've been able to use this type of tool on my HF mini-lathe. And it is rock solid in its performance of cutting.

First thing I tried it on was some thick round aluminum which has always been kind of twitchy to cut smoothly, but this holder and blade make it a sench to cut and turn.

Thank you, Mr. Kenjuudo, you are aces.

Jim aka Swag :drinks:

kenjuudo
05-22-2007, 04:24 PM
You are very welcome, glad you are pleased.

jim