PDA

View Full Version : My first Win 94

Uncle Grinch
05-21-2012, 01:15 PM
I've always had Marlins and never really considered Winchesters, but Sunday, I ran across a Win 94 that I could not pass. It's a 30-30 made in 1980 and was advertised as a used, but good truck gun and was only $200 FTF.

One of the previous owners removed all the blueing so it looks like it's stainless. There's no sign of rust and the bore is good. The only issue I found is the hammer follows the bolt back if I don't rack it completely. Don't know if this is normal for Win 94's or not.

Uncle Grinch
05-22-2012, 10:52 PM
My hammer falls when the bolt goes back in battery. Seems to happen if the lever is operated very slow. I carry it all the way back and it still falls. When I operate the bolt quickly it locks the hammer back.

Any ideas?

Jon K
05-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Somebody tried to do a trigger job...putting more tension on the trigger return spring might work or not. Might need everything redone, or replaced.

Jon

HiVelocity
05-23-2012, 10:48 AM
UncleGrinch-

Its not worth fixing; you should sell it to me..............lol!

I'd find a good smith who could replace the parts you need to make your 94
safe. You've made a good investment in a fine rifle of quality steel. Have the Smith either blue it or CeraCoat it.

I put peep sights on my 1972 Circa Win 94 and love it. Enjoy!

HV:drinks:

TXGunNut
05-23-2012, 11:19 PM
You bought a "handyman's special" but you bought it right, congrats on that. +1 one on having a 'smith work it over and I like the idea of a CeraCoat truck gun. Just one thing to add; make room for another one, they're habit-forming.

Uncle Grinch
05-24-2012, 06:43 PM
That receiver will not take a hot salts bath blue.

OK... I'll bite. Tell me more.

Uncle Grinch
05-26-2012, 06:42 PM
The reciecer of the post 64s is some alloy that doesn't take hot salts bath bluing. I've read that they were iron plated (at Winchester)and then blued, but that may be BS. I polished a lot of guns for a 'smith who did bluing, and I never saw a post 64 that didn't turn out splotchy, and what color seemed to "take" would often rub right off.

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing some 94's that looked like the receiver was anodized instead of blued. Maybe that is why!

olafhardt
05-27-2012, 06:57 AM
I engine turned mine. Used cheap pencils, medium sand paper, and a drill ptess. Cut paper into strips, bend over eraser, tape in place, chuck it in press and go. It might take a handfull of pencils and not much sand paper. Brownells Oxypho will mellow the shine. I have found this finish to hold oil very well and people like it.I think your gun iooks great as is. I think the 94's of that period were the best,superior to the pre 64's,angle ejects etc.