PDA

View Full Version : Herter's Professional NM 390 Shotshell Loader

seagiant
05-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Hi,
I just obtained another orphan in the family and although pretty rough in condition everything seems to be there! I have been everywhere on the Internet to try and find info on this shotshell loader. Was hoping someone here has had or does actually own one.

A gentleman on the "Shotgun World" site scanned me a pic from a 70's Herter's catalog and said it was listed at about $85 sale price! If anyone has any info I would really like to hear about it! Thanks!

LUBEDUDE
05-21-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm sure you will get it looking good and running sweet.

seagiant
05-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Hi Lube,
It's sort of interesting. The one in the pic and mine are the same. Mine has Pat.Pend. cast in the base with Herter's name and Professional 390. It uses a round wire to keep the shotshells against the shellholder. One of these that sold earlier on E-bay did not have the wire and the casting along the edge was raised to keep the shells in? It seems these were made for a few years and went through some small design changes but I'm having a very hard time finding info or pics of them?

I hope someone comes along to give me some kind of info on if they were a good loader or not or what was their reputation in the 60's? It seems if they went thru some design changes at least they were selling. It is a progressive press! I like the way the shot/powder bar is actuated by the rod on the shellholder platform!

Pressman
05-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Seagiant I will get a full catalog page scan to you in a day or so.
In answer to your other question, nearly as I can find out Herter's made all their shotshell tools from their own designs. Some of those designs are really close copies of other brands.
There are some relaoding tools Herter's got from an outside source but that is a story for another day.

Ken

LUBEDUDE
05-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Hey SG, interesting. I did not realize that was another press on ebay. I thought it was a second listing with a lowered price.

I was temped, but as I have said before, I am just plain out of room.

Good Luck and Enjoy

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_75704fbad379a3a2b.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5330)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_75704fbad3e34bd6f.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5331)

seagiant
05-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Hi Lube,
Is that a black model Texan progressive in the corner of the bottom pic? Been looking for one of those!!!!!

LUBEDUDE
05-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Hey SG , yes it is, however it does not have he priming system. I have to single feed.

A while back there was the actuator part of the priming system on ebay and it went for more than many of these presses do.

danomano
08-20-2013, 02:27 PM
I Just got one of these 390 Herter's, 12 ga. Its in pretty good shape. Mine has the spring to retain the hulls and the auto priming attachment. I need to fab a powder bar but it operates pretty smooth even without cleaning it up. Does anyone have a picture or info they can share? To help in the reviving of this old guy. I can see about posting a picture of it if there is interest in seeing it once I get home tonight.
Thanks

seagiant
08-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi Dano,
This is the best pic I've got. I would like to see what you have. Mine is in pieces at the moment waiting to be refurbed!

danomano
08-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Well here is a shot of the one I have.. Pic is a little dark but you get the idea. Don't worry the hammer should not be needed :-o

I ordered a piece of 1x1 aluminum to make a powder bar with so that should be interesting to see how well I can get it to fit the bushings.

I also was thinking about locating a used primer feeder from a Hornady press. I'll see what I can find for a fair price.

danomano
08-20-2013, 11:01 PM
I might have found that Pic too Seagiant. I was looking around at work :) I think I found a different one too, Ill see if I can get it uploaded tomorrow at work.

seagiant
08-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Hi,
That looks good! I am missing the Herter's plastic hoppers and they are pretty much unobtainamum!!! I'll have to figure on that, MEC bottles don't work! You are going to have a hard time (I think?) getting the right size hole for the bushings in the charge bar. I made a new bar for my DL-300 from solid brass and had to use a mill and boring bar to get it right!

danomano
08-20-2013, 11:50 PM
You are probably right.. its gonna be a pita.. If it gets too sloppy I can allways get a new piece and just go at it low tech.. ie drill small and file the rest.

Ps nice set up :)

danomano
08-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Found the other Pic of one of these I had. I'm not sure who's it is or anything. I did notice that it doen not have the priming attachment like mine so I guess I am lucky.

What really stinks is a few days ago on fleebay I saw a buy it now for a few herters powder bottles... 3 of them something like 15 bucks.. I did not even think about it. I should have snagged them :(

danomano
09-04-2013, 09:48 AM
I did a little looking into the 390 press I have and it appears that in its lifetime it had a MEC primer feeder added to it. It matches really close in design at least. See pic in post #10. So I guess I will have to look for a MEC feeder upper part. I also got my piece of 1*1 aluminum for the powder bar. Now I just need to find more time. :smile:

Copperstar94
09-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Hi Guys, Im new to shotshell reloading and I was at a gunshow this weekend and I picked up a MEC 600 jr and a Herters 390, both for $140. The 390 is in great shape. I did some research and found that it is mentioned with a full page ad in the 1965 Herters catalog #75, but it looks slightly different on the shell plate. Also found it in the 1972 catalog, looking more like the one I have and what is posted here. It was no longer mentioned in the 1973 catalog, except for available parts.

LUBEDUDE
09-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Welcome to the forum Copperstar. Looks like you got a bargin.

danomano
10-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Good find. I am unfortunately in a holding pattern on my 390, we are getting the house ready to sell. Got any pictures of your 390?

I am going to have to see if the #75 catalog is one of the one's I have.

Welcome to the Forum!

danomano
10-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Well I found the 390 in the 1962 Handloaders Digest on page 102. I attached a pic of it.

LUBEDUDE
10-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Cool info Dano, says that sumbuck weighs 55 pounds. That's hardcore !

seagiant
10-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Hi,
Well, my 390 is in pieces in a box waiting to be rebuilt! Probably be this winter! The MEC bottle did not seem to fit? Might have to make something custom. I have never seen any Herter's bottles?

danomano
10-18-2013, 11:58 AM
There are two herter's bottles on fleebay right now. I think 20 something after shipping for the both. not worth it to me, but I the item # is 121193342460

seagiant
10-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks Dano! The first ones I've ever seen!

danomano
10-18-2013, 11:50 PM
I hope you win them :)

Its actually the second set I have seen on there in the past year.... Maybe Ill try for a set after I get my 390 fixed up.

I'm not to concerned on mine if they are Herter's bottles. Actually I have Herter's bottles on mine already but someone cut the tops, well bottom, off them so they are open up to the air when mounted. They look terrible!

danomano
04-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Well its been a while on this one.... Okay long while.. but I found an actual powder bar for this. Like the real one for it. It even fits. I am going to get a pic of it tonight so I should be able to post up over the weekend.

I have actual herters bottles now too. so pretty complete set up.