PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Base .44 mold

Slinger
05-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Could you fellas steer me in the direction of companies/persons who make a hollow base SWC design in .44 caliber like the Lyman 429422? Thanks!

happy7
05-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I don't believe anyone does that. I can't say for 100% certainty, but I am familiar with just about all the mold makers out there. Now NOE or MP could do it, but you would need to organize a group buy and then you would have to wait a year or more.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could get one made for you. The problem is that it would have to be a nose pour mold. Not many do that. Hoch makes nose pour molds, but I don't think his pistol molds are nose pour. Maybe you could get him to make you one. Accuracte molds would be another possibility. He might make you one. Old West molds probably would. I would try those three first. Then you will have to send the mold off to someone like www.hollowpointmold.com to get the hollowbase plugs made. By the time you are done, your wallet will be considerably diminished.

HDS
05-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Accurate doesn't do hollow base or nose pour molds, asked him about that just the other week as I was looking for a custom 12ga slug mold.

GLL
05-21-2012, 10:53 AM
About the only reasonable way to pull that off would be to start a Group Buy with Mihec at MP molds. He has run several full wadcutters with hollow base. I have a couple and they are very nicely done !

Jerry

Slinger
05-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Well, thanks fellas. It was a thought, but it's not worth the expense and time for me to pursue it.

Forrest r
05-22-2012, 06:11 AM
There would be no real gain by using a hb on a swc over the hbwc mp has already made. You can only drive a hb bullet so fast before you blow the hb out of the bullet.

The 220g hbwc is the way to go, they are extremely accurate & are 1 of the badest things in the valley when they're turned around.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/44hbwcaround.jpg

Another hbwc for the 44, this time it's jacketed. It's a 40s&w case with a 158g bullet in it making the total weight 220g. And yes they are also very accurate when loaded as a hbwc & can also be turned around to make one heck of a hp.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/hbwc.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/hp.jpg

Slinger
05-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the interesting post! The first pic of the 220gr. HBWC wasalso recommended by a fellowI talked with. Finding an old lyman mould is the hard part. Do you have a mold # for this one?
The 40 cal. case/158 gr slug concoction is a new one on me. I would have to wonder how hard the 40 caliber case is on the bore........but perhpas no worse than some of the other metals used in jacketed bullets that I've seen.

happy7
05-22-2012, 12:33 PM
That mold is the Mihec mold. You could try him to see if he has any left. You might get lucky. Otherwise he will probably eventually run it again, but it could be a few years.

I also sell those bullets (just the bullets, not the mold). Click on the link in my signarture if you are interested.

MtGun44
05-22-2012, 11:15 PM
What was the reasoning behind the HB SWC? Elmer designed that one to fix guns with
a way oversized throat diameter, at the cost of limiting max pressure to well below what
a solid base design will take.

Bill

Slinger
05-23-2012, 03:17 PM
That mold is the Mihec mold. You could try him to see if he has any left. You might get lucky. Otherwise he will probably eventually run it again, but it could be a few years.

I also sell those bullets (just the bullets, not the mold). Click on the link in my signarture if you are interested.

I went to the Mihec site, but didn't see where he had one of these molds for sale.

I might just get in touch with you and order some of the HB wadcutters. I've been to your website so I know what you have available. Thanks for the post.

happy7
05-23-2012, 03:30 PM
I will be happy to sell you some bullets.

But on the Mihec molds, I am pretty sure his web site is not up to date at all. I would PM him to see if he has one. That would be the only way to be sure.

Johnny_Cyclone
05-23-2012, 05:15 PM
If it could look something like this in at least a 2cav I'd be in..

Maybe a Group Buy discussion is in order?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?pictureid=4265&albumid=559&dl=1316225507&thumb=1

in the proper area of course: Group Buy Discussion :)

With different style pins it could be made solid base or hollowbase..

beagle
05-26-2012, 11:53 PM
The original Ideal 429422s and some 3584341 HB moulds and some 358395 HB WC moulds were made with a plug for making either HB or flat base bullets. The plug was drilled and tapped in the center for a screw that was a loose fit through the side of the mould and allowed the pin some movement so the bullet could release. This allowed the user to switch the plug and make either HB or flat base bullets. Normally these will have the plug numbered to the mould blocks. Something to consider if you're anticipating making a group buy.

The old HB designs are kinda neat and I have several but they're no practical for modern day shooters unless you need expansion for oversize dimensions and you can't push them too hard./beagle

HARRYMPOPE
07-16-2012, 11:00 PM
I have one like shown in post #12 on the shelf i never use for for the reasons beagle states.What are they selling for these days?

George

Wayne Smith
07-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Does Bernie at Old West Molds do HB molds??

HARRYMPOPE
07-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Does Bernie at Old West Molds do HB molds??

he used to.