PDA

View Full Version : Help figuring out this S&W

PB234
05-21-2012, 08:16 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284783646

I think this is a 1905 M&P Model of 1905 as the serial number lacks the V serial prefix of the 28/200 British Service Revolver. It has been converted to 22 LR by having inserts installed in the chambers. The firing pin has been adjusted for rimfire.

The rear sight is interesting.

From the pictures the markings show it to have been in England and then I think in Silesia, a part of Poland/Germany (depending on the year).

I can guess it went from the USA to England in WW2 and then to Silesia, but then returned to England where the 22 conversion was done and eventually back to the USA?

The workmanship of the conversion is excellent. The depth rifling in the barrel is slight. To see the grooves one has to hold it to the light just right.

The markings and the trip from the USA to England to Silesia and then probably back to England (marking on barrel) and then to the USA (?) make me wonder if anyone has any idea what the story might likely be.

MtGun44
05-24-2012, 01:26 AM
There are many guns that I own that I wish they could talk! This old girl would probably have
some good stories, too. I wonder if the bbl is sleeved too.

Bill

gunfan
05-24-2012, 09:15 AM
There are many guns that I own that I wish they could talk! This old girl would probably have
some good stories, too. I wonder if the bbl is sleeved too.

Bill

With a barrel that has been rollmarked that perfectly, I sincerely doubt it.

Scott