PDA

View Full Version : What are the gun laws in New Mexico

Jamesconn
05-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Well it turns out I'm movin to albequrque NM instead of Louisiana.

How are the gun laws for CCW, general possetion of guns, and defending yourself in your own home

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-21-2012, 08:01 AM
, day!

Nobade
05-21-2012, 08:08 AM
I believe they changed the CCW bit so that if you qualify with one caliber you can carry that and anything smaller. It was changed a year or two after CCW started.

Other than that the laws are quite good. Your car is an extension of your home so you can have a loaded gun in the glove box with no problem. Open carry is legal (though not always wise), Class III stuff is allowed, and the state doesn't put any extra foolishness on top of federal laws. We still have gun shows, and shooting competition is going strong in many different disciplines here in Albuquerque as well as around the state. Plus we have the Whittington Center about three hours to the north.

When you move here if you want to shoot cast boolit matches with rifles or handguns give me a shout. We do a lot with them at Zia Gun Club.

Jamesconn
05-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Also I was going to join the navy reserves when I get out of highschool, because in Texas if you are or were in the military you can get your CCW permit even if your under 21.

Moonman
05-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Contact the New Mexico Attorney Generals web site for CCW and gun laws.

Char-Gar
05-21-2012, 11:15 AM
I love New Mexico and think you will also. They have very good guns laws, with open carry, carry in your car and concealed cary with the permit. Great state, great people, lots of places to shoot.

Aunegl
05-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Well it turns out I'm movin to albequrque NM instead of Louisiana.

How are the gun laws for CCW, general possetion of guns, and defending yourself in your own home

I used to live in ABQ for a few decades. There's a good public shooting range at the west side of town near the Double Eagle Airport. I had no issues with gun ownership. I've been gone for a decade so check with latest laws and regulations.

tryNto
05-21-2012, 03:17 PM
USACarry has info on all states.

http://www.usacarry.com/new_mexico_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

41 mag fan
05-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Bet they're better than IL, CA, NY, NJ, MA, ME,WI and probably a few others I can't remember

nicholst55
05-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Bet they're better than IL, CA, NY, NJ, MA, ME,WI and probably a few others I can't remember

Add MD to your list.

jmsj
05-21-2012, 11:15 PM
James,
Nobade pretty much covered it. I'll add a couple of things, There are 2 catagories of hanguns, semi auto and revolver. You can only carry the type of weapon that you have qualified for but you can qualify for both revolver and semi auto. As Nobade has said, when you qualify using a certain caliber and type of handgun say a .45 semi auto, you can carry any semi auto of .45 caliber or less. Same goes for revolvers. When you qualify you can qualify for one or both catagories.
Here in New Mexico we have the "Castle Doctrine" which allows the use of deadly force to defend yourself and those in your home with lethal force. This "Castle Doctrine" extends to your vehicle. I probably have missed some points. It will be awhile before you can carry CCW so do a search on the laws and educate yourself.
I live up in the North east corner of the state. Good luck with the move.
jmsj

Char-Gar
05-22-2012, 11:28 AM
In Texas to have a CHL you must quality with a caliber no small than 9MM in the autopistol or 38 Special in the revolver. If you quality with an autopistol you can also carry a revolver. If you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. Once you qualify with either, you carry wherever caliber you want.

David2011
05-22-2012, 05:33 PM
NM has a few laws that are different than what I would consider normal. On the CCW qualification issue, you would probably want to qualify with the biggest bore revolver and autoloader you can get your hands on. You can only carry the type of handgun with which you qualify and may not carry a larger caliber than that with which you qualify. Revolver and autoloader qualifications are completely separate in NM. When my current license expires I'll qualify with a 1911 in .45ACP and a .45 revolver. After all, a .45 Colt is a bigger caliber than .44 Mag.

Some of the hunting laws are kind of unusual, too, compared to other places I've lived. All birds, even pests, are protected. You can shoot a mountain lion that's attacking a human, your lamb or calf but not your dog or cat. All big game hunting is by draw.

Most of the state is public land, owned by the state or managed by the BLM. Charts that show the land ownership are available for $4.00 per area at BLM offices. Varmints are plentiful most everywhere in NM.

David