PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lubrasizer technique question

Dead Dog Jack
05-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Do you RCBS lubrasizer users crank the lube handle before the bullet is down in the die or when it is down in the die?

10mmShooter
05-21-2012, 07:23 AM
I use Lyman 4500 similar design, I apply pressure(crank handle via small rachet) while the bullet is at the bottom of the die/stroke. The amount of pressure will vary with the bullet and "feel'.

I believe most will agree this is the standard practice.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Yes, I bump the pressure up only when the boolit is down.

Also, on the Occasion when there is a leaking issue and I'm not lubing
too many boolits, I crank the pressure up when the boolit is down
then reduce the pressure before I raise the boolit. Yeah this takes
more time and it's better to solve the problem another way,
ie, adjust the heat or preheat the boolits.
Jon

Hardcast416taylor
05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
I have seen casters use both methods of working the lube pressure wrench. However, the larger percentage use the bottom of the stroke method as well as do I.Robert

quasi
05-21-2012, 08:56 PM
bottom for mine

kbstenberg
05-21-2012, 09:43 PM
looks like i will be changing the way i opperate my sizer.

Danderdude
05-24-2012, 11:00 AM
I've optimized my lubesizing method since it is by far my least favorite portion about casting and reloading.

Pile of bullets on left side of LAM2
Right hand on ram handle
Insert bullet with left hand
Stroke the ram down with right hand
"Top off" the pressure with left hand, while bullet is still in the die
Upstroke with right hand
Remove sized bullet from the die with right hand, dropping into box between legs
While the previous two motions were in action, be grabbing a new bullet, doing a quick QC glance at it and placing it on the die with left hand.

The key is that it becomes an extended fluid motion, and all attention stays on the left hand, since the right (pulling the ram and kicking out the sized bullet) is basically on autopilot.

I've done around 300 in 15 minutes with this method, and I don't think you can get any faster with this type of lubesizer. However, I'd welcome being proven wrong. A leisurely 750 in an hour with two short breaks is entirely reasonable.