PDA

View Full Version : First attempt w/ star = SUCCESS!!!

Powellcole5490
05-20-2012, 09:09 PM
So let me give you the run down. Yesterday was my first day trying to cast boolits. After a few trial and error moments I got it up and running and cast about a thousand .357 SWC. Today's challenge was trying to get the star working. After a few messed up boolits I got it working! (thanks to people on here) Anyway I just wanted to show off a little bit and say thanks to everyone. I first had issues with lube on the nose of the boolits so I turned down the pressure. Then I had to adjust the depth. For some reason I had issues trying to figure out which way was up and which was down. Once I got over that, it was smooth sailing!!! Absolutely love this, I am deffinately addicted! Attached is a picture of the first few rounds. On the right is the bullets process when I was having issues. On the left is the finished product.

VHoward
05-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Looking good

ReloaderFred
05-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Good job. I can't even remember when I started casting............

Fred

OneSkinnyMass
05-20-2012, 10:44 PM
load em up and a range report is next
Looking great so far

Skinny

Dennis Eugene
05-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Looks good , but I might add one small thing . On my GC boolits I like lube down at the base of the gas check also, I see you have none. I don't know if your die has more than one hole and the others are pluged and maybe it isn't nessacary it's just the way I like it. Dennis

captaint
05-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Very rewarding when we get it working well, is it not ??? Congrats... enjoy Mike

Powellcole5490
05-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Oh yeah! I ran inside and let my wife see the first boolit that came out like it should! I think I will try to lube up some more this evening. I should have a package of carnauba red in the mail!

Rockchucker
05-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Great Job!

wymanwinn
05-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Oh yeah! I ran inside and let my wife see the first boolit that came out like it should! !

congrats...i remember doing the same thing...my wife just rolled her eyes....they just don't understand....LOL

:lovebooli

Powellcole5490
05-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Question for you guys. I did a little more sizing tonight. As time went by the lube didn't quite fill the entire lube groove. I tried adjusting the pressure and the heat but I couldn't find the right combo. Any suggestions?

VHoward
05-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Are you pausing at the end of the downstroke> Or are you going as fast as you can? If you go too fast, you can end up using up the warm enough lube and start pushing cold lube and you won't get good groove fill in.

Powellcole5490
05-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Oh good thought! I was trying to speed through them. I shall slow down in the future. Thanks!