PDA

View Full Version : Range Report - Sorta.

Uncle R.
04-16-2007, 10:46 AM
I finally got the new P.D. rifle out to the range yesterday. I spent a couple of hours doing barrel break-in with the whole fire one shot - clean thoroughly, fire one shot thing. I was just putting them into the berm, but tweaking the scope as I did.
About the fourth or fifth shot the tiny twig I was aiming at just disappeared in a shower of dirt so I decided I was close enough to put up some paper. The next three shots with cleaning in between went about 5/16" @ 100 yards with factory ammo and a pretty blustery wind. By then I was out of time and had to leave.
One three shot group doesn't prove much but it looks encouraging...
:)
Uncle R.

Pat I.
04-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Great to hear you're happy so far, with good reason! If that keeps up it won't be long before you're be telling us how pretty those Savage actions are.

Pat

dk17hmr
04-16-2007, 08:31 PM
I am going to go out on a limb here and say you are going to be pretty happy with that rifle once you start shooting handloads through it.

The 112bvss 223 my dad has will shoot 1 small hole at 100 yards for 5 shots, .3" is pretty common with the 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Handloads we shoot.

Uncle R.
04-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Great to hear you're happy so far, with good reason! If that keeps up it won't be long before you're be telling us how pretty those Savage actions are.

Pat

:roll: It's already looking better....
Maybe Savage rifles GROW on you - like athlete's foot.
That big black Nikon Monarch in black rings on a stainless rifle is - well - very businesslike. It looks like serious hardware, and if it proves to perform like serious hardware I might be telling you how pretty it is. Don't believe it though, it's STILL a Savage.
:-D
I'll spend a couple of evenings putting together some testing loads - and hopefully get some more range time in next weekend.
Uncle R.