PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mould Quality Question

Vernon Hayes
05-19-2012, 09:11 PM
OK this is the second one like this! Sent the first one back and they sent me another to replace it. Both moulds had the same hole and pin screw up. Bought it New off ebay from seller named Tactical-Store. So far they have done me right, and I don't think the problem with the mould is their fault. I say Lyman is at fault.

What do you guys think is this typical quality from Lyman? Am i getting upset over nothing or what?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_237684fb841d0cc5ff.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5301)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_237684fb843189abd6.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5302)

Ben
05-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Doing business with Lyman is like spinning the marble at the roulette wheel. " Iffy" at best. I will consider buying old IDEAL molds, but stuff made today at Lyman, NO.

Ben

05-19-2012, 10:20 PM
That is totally unacceptable! Return it to the seller for a full refund -- including shipping -- and look elsewhere -- like the Swappin' & Sellin' sub-forum.

geargnasher
05-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Sounds like somebody's swiping moulds out of the reject bin and reselling them. Lyman's had a lot of problems with their moulds in past few years, but that's the first one with an obvious defect of an alignment pin I've seen.

Gear

runfiverun
05-19-2012, 11:16 PM
no don't look there that's where i look.
just buy rcbs,or custom.
we need to give lyman time to make thier molds properly.

geargnasher
05-20-2012, 12:50 AM
They have forever as far as I'm concerned 'cause I swore off of them after about the tenth new defective one I got in the past few years. My good money is going to better places like Accurate, MP, and more recently an up-and-comer to the custom mould world.

Gear

Wilsknife
05-20-2012, 03:19 AM
Hollow Point Mold Service and Ranch Dog both make excellent molds. Was casting keepers after just 2-3 pours.

geargnasher
05-20-2012, 05:07 AM
Hollow Point Mold Service and Ranch Dog both make excellent molds. Was casting keepers after just 2-3 pours.

As far as I know neither of those guys make moulds. RD orders custom runs from Lee (but does QC on them himself), and Erik modifies Lee designs and does fabulous modifications/tune-ups to other brands. Not saying they're not good, just that they're both Lee-made basic moulds.

If you want the best, in my experience RCBS is still making super-primo production moulds, and if you go custom, Accurate Molds and MP Molds are two of the best you can get these days, especially if you order brass versions. I hear that Mountain Molds is also excellent, and there's also Ballisti-Cast, but I can't personally vouch for either.

Gear

Vernon Hayes
05-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Woke up this morning and my backside is still some what chapped over the quality of this mould. It's going back to the seller for a refund, I'm not taking a third chance on getting a good one. Thinking about shooting Lyman a email asking if this is typical of their moulds or if like Gear said, somebody's swiping moulds out of the reject bin and reselling them.

Looking at the rcbs bullet mould 82043 .44-245-SWC 241 on their web site and not seeing any where telling if it is a 2 or 4 cavity. Anyone have this one?

GLL
05-20-2012, 11:32 AM
VH:

RCBS does not make 4-cavity molds. All of us sure wish they did though ! :)

Jerry

Hardcast416taylor
05-20-2012, 11:38 AM
That RCBS mold is a 2 cavity "Keith" style for .44 cal. use. I have had this mold for as many years as I have been shooting .44`s, 30 or more years. It drops good bullets literally from the start. For everyday shooting I use a 50/50 alloy with some tin added for better fill out. I too have problems with Lyman to the extent of avoiding them unless they are older Ideal molds.Robert

Cmemiss
05-20-2012, 11:48 AM
If I recall, RCBS sells Saeco 4 cav molds, If you want to spend the $$$.

Jack Stanley
05-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Lyman is still on my "upon acceptance" list . The deal goes like this , Lyman wants me to buy their stuff so I tell them to send me one . IF ( yes that is a big IF ) the mold is acceptable , I pay them for it after I've used it .

No , .........so far Lyman hasn't co-operated with the program I've offered them . the plus side is that I haven't spent any money on their rejects for the last three years and won't untill they comply with the program . :coffeecomI have saved so much money since I began this list :lol:

Jack

skandic
05-20-2012, 06:32 PM
I have only 2 lyman molds a 358-667 and a 429-421 both seem to be excellent molds except the 429-421 throws slightly smallish bullets that dont completly engage a .430 die.
Vernon check out accurate molds #43-250K get it in brass whet ever size you want you wont be dissapionted

atr
05-20-2012, 07:21 PM
about 2 months ago I purchased a Lyman dbl cavity 245 gr for .44 cal.... #429421
perfect mold !
drops the bullet at the correct weight and size....
Lyman got it right, so I know they can do it
atr

Larry Gibson
05-20-2012, 07:55 PM
I have to agree with Gear on; Sounds like somebody's swiping moulds out of the reject bin and reselling them. I have a lot of Lyman moulds, have had many others and have seen a lot more and never have I seen that. Quite frankly I've not seen any more problems with Lyman moulds than with any other standard commercial maker. Custom moulds at 1 1/2 to 3+ times as much are always very good because they get a lot more hands on treatment and inspection. I like Lyman moulds and have not had any problems getting satisfactory cusomer service.

Larry Gibson

Vernon Hayes
05-20-2012, 08:36 PM
I just finished emailing Tactical Store to get a refund, we'll see what they say in a day or two. Hopefully.
Also went to Lyman website and shot them a email about the moulds and the name of the seller. If I don't hear back from them in a couple days, think I'll give them a call.

05-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Did the two moulds arrive in factory sealed boxes, or had they been opened?

If they were in factory sealed boxes, the seller would not be aware of their condition, and the fault lies entirely with Lyman.

If the boxes had been previously opened, and the moulds were sold as new, that indicates that the seller is being less than honest, and ebay needs to be notified. That way, other buyers won't be in your position.

Either way, you should be entitled to the shipping charges.

As to Lyman, you might get faster and better results by phone.

geargnasher
05-20-2012, 11:09 PM
462 makes some good points. I've seen a lot of poorly cut Lyman cavities, off center, out of round, undersized (even for the correct alloy), but never have I seen a glaring defect like that. Usually the pins are right, the blocks fit correctly and are finished well, and the sprue plates are correctly made.

Gear

Lance Boyle
05-24-2012, 10:17 PM
This doesn't give me a lot of hope. I sent back a 311291 2 cavity for casting one cavity at .3075ish and the other at .3095ish. It's been a few weeks and I keep getting home after work looking for a package from them.

So far not a peep.

John Boy
05-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Vernon, do you happen to remember the lady's name on the Inspected By paper that comes with Lyman molds? I'd give her a call!:smile:

Potsy
05-25-2012, 09:43 AM
I've got 3 Lyman molds and every one of them are undersize.
Kinda doubt I'll ever own another one.
Particularly with folks like Miha and others on this site making a far superior product for not much more money.
Heck, even $20 Lee .45 200SWC mold won't leave room in a .452 die.

Larry Gibson
05-25-2012, 10:59 AM
I've heard tell of a lot of Lyman moulds casting "undersize". I've yet to see one. Everyone of the so called "undersized" Lyman, Lee and RCBS moulds that were so called "undersized" by their owners that I've tested cast to nominal diameter or larger when the correct alloy was used and the correct casting technique.

Now I'm not questioning anyone's veracity here, just stating I've yet to find the so called "undersized" mould. Even Lyman moulds marked "U" for undersized have always cast the nominal diameter when a proper alloy was use. What I've found most often was the use of plain WW alloy and/or a mistake was being made in casting technique. If you are expecting nominal or larger diameter cast bullets WWs alone is not a "proper" alloy for moulds made to cast a certain diameter with a better alloy such as Lyman's #2 alloy. I can easily make any Lyman mould cast .002 - .004 less diameter with WWs by varying the temp, the casting tempo, the distance from the spout to the sprue plate, with the spout not open enough or with a poor ladle pour technique. By verying any of those you can easily very the cast diameter of your bullets. I know what Lyman's chart says but those were just tests of various alloys and not of casting technique. Add a poor technique and the size of the varience can easily double if not tripple.

BTW; getting a mould with a nominal diameter of .311xxx, .358xxx, 429xxx or 452xxx and expecting it to cast .002 - .003 over that nominal diameter with WWs is not a realistic expectaion. Before we give blanket condemnation let's make sure we are not the fault here. I'd be happy to test any mould, especially Lyman moulds for casting diameter for anyone. Again, I'm not criticising anyone here but pointing out that many times we think we are doing everything right so it's the mould, not necessarily so. I've done done a test very recently for a poster here and showed him his Lyman double cavity mould cast perfectly good bullets at .001 - .002 above the nominal diameter with WWs + 2% tin alloy. Seems he just doesn't want to admit it but that's ok. I offered to buy the mould but he kept it, 'nough said.

Larry Gibson

mainiac
05-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Just bought a brand new 375449,and im very happy with it.It casts flawlessly right from the beginning,and ive cast a few hundred boolits with it,and have never yet had to tap the hinge pin,,every drop,the boolits fall out of the mold. WW alloy they drop @ .3765,and shot very tiny groups.

Lance Boyle
05-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Larry I don't doubt you but I did try a lot of things before figuring out one cavity always cast small.

-first varied the temps
-then the ladling pour vs a touched nozzle to sprue plate and flip
-then I tried upping the tin with solder
-cleaned molds with a soft toothbrush even though they looked clean
-then I tried a new to me RCBS bottom pour and tried temps again and varied distance
-adjusted sprue plate tightness back and forth
- it was around this time when I pushed more tin and was getting some mild finning that I figured out my mold had two distinctly different cavities.

Anyways after 3+ weeks I sent off an email inquiring as to what Lyman found. Today I got a response that they recut the mold.

Ben
05-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Lance Boyle

Today I got a response that they recut the mold.

I don't suppose that Lyman would have
spent their time re-cutting a perfectly good mold, now would they ?

Ummm, looks like that is PROOF that Lyman can release molds that are capable of casting undersized bullets !

I've known for a long time that Lyman was very capable of releasing molds that were casting undersized bullets. ( Of course in their defense, Most anyone making molds is capable of releasing a flawed mold.....some more prone than others. )