white eagle
05-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Someone care to enlighten me on this
I am considering getting one in a BFR
but would like to know more on it
what boolit weights,velocities parent case,dies to use.. those sort of things

subsonic
05-19-2012, 05:44 PM
No more than about 490gr, likes 440gr or thereabouts at 1300ish, maybe a little more. Any .500 S&W boolits will likely work, as long as the nose isn't too long.

Based on the .500 S&W cut back .200", but you can buy the .500JRH brass from Jack Huntington for the same price as .500 S&W brass. Unless you like trimming?

Can be loaded with most .500 S&W dies, as long as the crimp shoulder is low enough.

Shoots good.

The downside is that only RCBS makes carbide .500 S&W dies (Hornady are NOT) and you can only shoot about 490gr boolits because the case web is so thick and deep. Only about .530" boolit shank will fit in the case.

ole 5 hole group
05-19-2012, 11:20 PM
I know Redding makes carbide dies for the 500 S&W because I have used them for a couple years now. If you want to shoot a heavy jacketed bullet, the 500 grain Hornady will get the job done in fine fashion - fits the JRH case, as if it was made for it.

The 500 JRH in the BFR is a nice setup and if you run the 440 grain much past 1250fps you'll have your hands full and your trigger finger just might take a beating - I know my trigger finger loses a little blood if I don't wear gloves once I get around 1,350fps or more with that 440 grainer.

jwp475
05-20-2012, 04:51 AM
The rim diameter is smaller than the 500 S&W on the 500 JRH

subsonic
05-20-2012, 09:59 AM
I know Redding makes carbide dies for the 500 S&W because I have used them for a couple years now. If you want to shoot a heavy jacketed bullet, the 500 grain Hornady will get the job done in fine fashion - fits the JRH case, as if it was made for it.

The 500 JRH in the BFR is a nice setup and if you run the 440 grain much past 1250fps you'll have your hands full and your trigger finger just might take a beating - I know my trigger finger loses a little blood if I don't wear gloves once I get around 1,350fps or more with that 440 grainer.

Thank you! I didn't even know redding made .500 S&W dies.

So it's either Redding or RCBS if you want Carbide.

Don't plan on shooting 500gr or more cast. The Hornady barely fits because the base has a slight bevel. I guess you could make a bevel base 500gr cast boolit, if you can stand running bevel bases through your lubrisizer. Guess you could get a gas checked 500gr+ and leave the checks off to clear the case web.

subsonic
05-20-2012, 10:01 AM
The rim diameter is smaller than the 500 S&W on the 500 JRH

True, but the BFRs are cut so that the .500 S&W rim will fit.

Can't say the same about the smaller cylinder FA's - not enough room for the rims - they will overlap. I don't know about custom guns either, but I bet Jack Huntington cuts his to fit S&W brass.

jwp475
05-20-2012, 06:08 PM
True, but the BFRs are cut so that the .500 S&W rim will fit.

Can't say the same about the smaller cylinder FA's - not enough room for the rims - they will overlap. I don't know about custom guns either, but I bet Jack Huntington cuts his to fit S&W brass.

The 500 JRH was designed to fit into the FA-83 and all of the 500 JRH brass that Jack has, is with the smaller rim diameter.Yes a Ruger or BFR can be chambered for the larger 500 S&W brass diameter rim. The "500 JRH" is a smaller rimmed case and that is/was the point of my post since the OP asked about the "500 JRH"

subsonic
05-20-2012, 07:28 PM
That's true. All of the brass I got from Jack has the smaller rim. I don't know what will happen when Jack runs out.

snowwolfe
05-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Just bought a BFR 500 JRH, picked it up from Grabagun for just over $820 and dealer transferred it to me yesterday. This is my first BFR and while I have not shot it yet I am very impressed at the fit and finish. In the past I avoided buying a BFR because one, never seen them in gun shops. And two, didnt like those longggggggg cylinder models.

If a Freedom Arms is a "10" the BFR is a "9" but at less than half the cost of a new Premier grade 500 WE. And this is coming from a person who thinks FA is the best production revolver built today.

Trigger pull is superb. Breaks at about 3.5 pounds with just the smallest amount of creep. Not to sure how the rubber grips will work with all that recoil. One minor nit pik is the length of the barrel. It was supposed to be 5.5 inches long but is actually 6 when you measure the barrel end to end. I can live with it:)

subsonic
05-21-2012, 12:28 AM
grabagun.com is the place where I got mine.

So far I like it, but haven't had much of a chance to give it a real workout. Mine showed up with the 7.5" (8.25") barrel and they cut it for free. While it was there, I got a trigger job, cylinders numbered, and black micarta fitted. I have not had a chance to shoot it since.

The rubber grips work surprisingly well.

Definitely tell us what you think after you shoot it.

Whitworth
05-21-2012, 06:52 AM
That's true. All of the brass I got from Jack has the smaller rim. I don't know what will happen when Jack runs out.

More will be produced.

Subsonic is correct, the rubber grips work surprisingly well -- thet just don't look very good, but they are purely functional.

44man
05-21-2012, 11:00 AM
The rim is .010" smaller but I am not sure if the S&W rim will fit the BFR. I would need a case cut down to see. I am inclined to think the BFR is cut large enough for either.
If anyone has a spare S&W case, cut it and see if it fits the BFR as is.
Freedom with their tiny, short cylinders has caused more bullet and case changes out of specs then any maker.
OK. I found a .500 S&W case, cut it down and it fits the BFR, JRH perfect, spins free.
So you CAN cut S&W brass down for your BFR. Smart gun maker!

Whitworth
05-21-2012, 11:03 AM
The BFR in .500 JRH will take a full-sized .500 Smith & Wesson rim.

44man
05-21-2012, 11:10 AM
See the gap difference between the JRH and the S&W rims? Not much, but enough. Yeah, just .005" but you will need the smaller rim if you ever get a Freedom chambered in the JRH. The cylinder will not support S&W brass.

Whitworth
05-21-2012, 11:26 AM
See the gap difference between the JRH and the S&W rims? Not much, but enough. Yeah, just .005" but you will need the smaller rim if you ever get a Freedom chambered in the JRH. The cylinder will not support S&W brass.

The .500 JRH was designed to be used in the FA83 -- those are its origins, hence the smaller rim.

44man
05-21-2012, 12:00 PM
The BFR in .500 JRH will take a full-sized .500 Smith & Wesson rim.
Is that before or after I showed?
JWP made a big deal over it saying the BFR or Ruger CAN be chambered for the larger rim but it seems the BFR already is. Custom makers also account for the rim. Only Freedom needs smaller.
Fellas, feel free to cut down S&W brass for your BFR, it fits. Better to just buy brass from Jack unless you have pick ups from the range.
Starline makes the brass but I don't know why it is not listed as standard brass. If Jack has a lock on it, good for him! He charges no more but makes a living.
The round was designed for the Freedom but the rim was too large to fit without cutting into the ratchet because of the small diameter cylinder. Jack cut the rims. Then Freedom does not make the gun anyway. Freedom went to the AE and the WYO Exp. I ask why? It is because they do not want to pay Jack for his work. Was Jack raked over the coals?
Who do I side with? I will be on Mr. Jack Huntington's side all the way. You can stick a Freedom where the sun does not shine.

Whitworth
05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Is that before or after I showed?
JWP made a big deal over it saying the BFR or Ruger CAN be chambered for the larger rim but it seems the BFR already is. Custom makers also account for the rim. Only Freedom needs smaller.

Before you showed what? Two posts ago you asked if the BFR takes the large rim and I told you they do. I have known this from before I took delivery of mine as I asked Magnum Research (and Jack told me that was the case). No, a custom .500 JRH from Jack Huntington will get the small rim as the cartridge spec calls for unless the customer specifies. What custom makers do you speak of? I know Clements builds them but he calls 'em .500 Smith & Wesson 1.4-inch case or something to that effect. Why would Jack Huntington be raked over the coals by Freedom Arms?? Sorry, I don't follow.

ebner glocken
05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
You all are really giving me the itch to get a JRH cylinder fitted to my 50AE BFR. On paper it seems to be the best 50 out there in a revolver. Haven't shot one yet but it seems to be in my future.

Ebner

Whitworth
05-21-2012, 01:48 PM
You all are really giving me the itch to get a JRH cylinder fitted to my 50AE BFR. On paper it seems to be the best 50 out there in a revolver. Haven't shot one yet but it seems to be in my future.

Ebner

Ebner, it really has no flies on it. Crazy accuracy seems to be the norm.

44man
05-21-2012, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=ebner glocken;1717484]You all are really giving me the itch to get a JRH cylinder fitted to my 50AE BFR. On paper it seems to be the best 50 out there in a revolver. Haven't shot one yet but it seems to be in my future.

Ebner[/QUOTE
Much better then AE.

subsonic
05-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Get one. You'll like it if you can handle it.

44man
05-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Before you showed what? Two posts ago you asked if the BFR takes the large rim and I told you they do. I have known this from before I took delivery of mine as I asked Magnum Research (and Jack told me that was the case). No, a custom .500 JRH from Jack Huntington will get the small rim as the cartridge spec calls for unless the customer specifies. What custom makers do you speak of? I know Clements builds them but he calls 'em .500 Smith & Wesson 1.4-inch case or something to that effect. Why would Jack Huntington be raked over the coals by Freedom Arms?? Sorry, I don't follow.
Did Jack do all the design and work to have Freedom go to other calibers instead?
More goes on behind the scenes then the average shooter knows about.
What two posts ago about the S&W and JRH rims? This was my very first answer to the question. I really did not know about the BFR rim size so I checked. You have nothing from me different. Parent case but not rim size.

subsonic
05-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I think what Whit is getting at is that he answered me before I got my .500JRH about the rim sizes....

The S&W rim will definitely fit the BFR - I have both kinds of brass I'm playing with.

Whitworth
05-21-2012, 02:18 PM
The rim is .010" smaller but I am not sure if the S&W rim will fit the BFR.
OK. I found a .500 S&W case, cut it down and it fits the BFR, JRH perfect, spins free.
So you CAN cut S&W brass down for your BFR. Smart gun maker!

You were unsure in this post -- that is what I was refering to.

Whitworth
05-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Did Jack do all the design and work to have Freedom go to other calibers instead?
More goes on behind the scenes then the average shooter knows about.

Freedom decided not to chamber revolvers in that particular caliber.

44man
05-21-2012, 05:39 PM
You were unsure in this post -- that is what I was refering to.
Simple, I went and found out, didn't I? I was able to do find out in the end.

44man
05-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Freedom decided not to chamber revolvers in that particular caliber.
I ask why. Did the work Jack did require payment that Freedom refused? He is your friend, get the facts or I will.

cottonstalk
05-21-2012, 07:14 PM
White eagle it seems to be a great round. I just recently acquired a custom and like other rounds it can be mild to wild. It doesn't have to have a case full of 110 or 296 to be accurate or take animals. Just messing around with 440s at 950,350s in the 1400+ range, 390s, and 440s at 1350 all were hunting accurate. I'm going to guess my primary load will be in the 1000-1100fps range and I'll keep some 1350s around for really big stuff that needs pixie dust ammo(buffalo,big six,grizzlies etc.) If ya get a chance pick you up one and enjoy

Whitworth
05-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Simple, I went and found out, didn't I? I was able to do find out in the end.

Jeez, what are you getting defensive about. I come in peace, man.

Whitworth
05-21-2012, 07:22 PM
I ask why. Did the work Jack did require payment that Freedom refused? He is your friend, get the facts or I will.

What in God's name are you talking about, Jim? They decided not to go with the .500 JRH, nothing more, nothing less. Get the facts or you will? From whom? What difference does it make why? There's no secret, no conspiracy. Freedom decided to do their own thing.

white eagle
05-21-2012, 07:47 PM
wow !!

jwp475
05-21-2012, 09:06 PM
wow !!

Exactly

jwp475
05-21-2012, 09:07 PM

You, go girl!!!

bigboredad
05-21-2012, 09:33 PM
we're having fun and learning so much. This what we talked about Whitworth

ebner glocken
05-22-2012, 01:44 AM
Get one. You'll like it if you can handle it.

I'm guessing I could manage the recoil. I have a similar revolver in 500 S&W and a thompson bbl w/o porting in 45-70. To tell you the truth the T/C beats me up way more than the 500 SW.

Recent health issues in my household have inhibited my disposable income that is usually budgeted for such things. $240 for a cylinder ain't gonna happen this month, or probably next for that matter. I do enjoy reading about y'all that do have such things, will have one in the future.....just not the really near future.

Ebner

44man
05-22-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm guessing I could manage the recoil. I have a similar revolver in 500 S&W and a thompson bbl w/o porting in 45-70. To tell you the truth the T/C beats me up way more than the 500 SW.

Recent health issues in my household have inhibited my disposable income that is usually budgeted for such things. $240 for a cylinder ain't gonna happen this month, or probably next for that matter. I do enjoy reading about y'all that do have such things, will have one in the future.....just not the really near future.

Ebner
Yes, a TC will eat you up. I sold all of mine.
But nobody answered why Freedom will not chamber the JRH after the round was designed for it.

Whitworth
05-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Yes, a TC will eat you up. I sold all of mine.
But nobody answered why Freedom will not chamber the JRH after the round was designed for it.

Again, they chose not to. Here is the number (307) 883-2468. Call them and ask for Bob Baker, and then ask him why he chose not to use it. He was under no obligation -- monetarily or otherwise -- to chamber his products in that particular cartridge, and he chose not to. Seems like you would like there to be some controversy where there isn't any. Also, it was designed to fit in the Model 83 -- it was not designed for Freedom Arms -- you need to draw that distinction.

paul h
05-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Jack has long had a history of modifying FA's. He converted mdl 83 454's to 475 linebaugh before the factory offered the 475 chambering. Then he went on to develop other rounds.

FA decided not to offer the JRH as a business decision. Often work and designs that make sense for a custom gunsmith are not the same designs gun manufacturers choose.

jwp475
05-22-2012, 06:18 PM
paul h is spot on here.

Aaron
05-22-2012, 09:34 PM
For what it is worth, S&W rims fit the recessed chambers of my Jack built JRH as well.

Aaron

44man
05-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Again, they chose not to. Here is the number (307) 883-2468. Call them and ask for Bob Baker, and then ask him why he chose not to use it. He was under no obligation -- monetarily or otherwise -- to chamber his products in that particular cartridge, and he chose not to. Seems like you would like there to be some controversy where there isn't any. Also, it was designed to fit in the Model 83 -- it was not designed for Freedom Arms -- you need to draw that distinction.
You are funny! :kidding: Baker hates me! Did you know I cleaned the bore on a Freedom, oiled it, pushed a pure lead ball through to find it out of round and over size. .359" to .3599" with .357 throats. Then I cleaned the bore again but he said I left lead in the bore and shooting it expanded and ruined the bore. How about the .454 that ate out the throats, forcing cone and rifling sideways?
He is just too smart for the normal shooter.
Taffin also hates me.
Get real and stop defending idiots.
Did I ruin any of your guns by slugging them? How many here slug guns?
The last thing I will ever do is suck coat tails but to lie about their guns and place blame on others for rotten workmanship is the worst thing ever.
Tell the guys here how many times I shot 20 yards and only counted the best 3 out of 6. You need WHUPPED!
How about a great company? My neighbor inherited a Ruger no 1 with a 6X20 leupold scope. The gun must have been dropped, the scope was bent. I told him to send it back. They sent him a new scope free, no questions at all.
Never, ever tell me about Baker! He charges $100 for a trigger job that ONLY takes a spring change, I wind one in 10 minutes. He is a leech, don't tell me to call him.
Everything I ever done for you never cost you a single cent but I do like booze.
Have you used me? Are you a leech? I sure hope not. I consider you a friend so when will you quit?
To the rest of you, I was a world class archer, invented the lighted bow sight. I figured out how to tune a compound for broad heads. Won almost every IHMSA shoot, took home thousands of dollars of groceries with a flintlock or percussion. I made the revolver shoot out of box to under 1" at 100 yards. I fool deer so they come to you and feed all around you. It goes on and on but I lost all because I never had money and everything was stolen.
I made rifles so you could shoot a chuck in the eye at 600 yards, forget body shots!
I give freely to friends and all of you but to be taken advantage of is the worst.
I truly expect to see my information in articles without my name mentioned.
I am not stupid and see things when I am taken for stupid. You lose in the end. You lose a friend because of your pocket book.

Whitworth
05-23-2012, 01:40 PM
You are funny! :kidding: Baker hates me! Did you know I cleaned the bore on a Freedom, oiled it, pushed a pure lead ball through to find it out of round and over size. .359" to .3599" with .357 throats. Then I cleaned the bore again but he said I left lead in the bore and shooting it expanded and ruined the bore. How about the .454 that ate out the throats, forcing cone and rifling sideways?
He is just too smart for the normal shooter.
Taffin also hates me.
Get real and stop defending idiots.
Did I ruin any of your guns by slugging them? How many here slug guns?
The last thing I will ever do is suck coat tails but to lie about their guns and place blame on others for rotten workmanship is the worst thing ever.
Tell the guys here how many times I shot 20 yards and only counted the best 3 out of 6. You need WHUPPED!
How about a great company? My neighbor inherited a Ruger no 1 with a 6X20 leupold scope. The gun must have been dropped, the scope was bent. I told him to send it back. They sent him a new scope free, no questions at all.
Never, ever tell me about Baker! He charges $100 for a trigger job that ONLY takes a spring change, I wind one in 10 minutes. He is a leech, don't tell me to call him.
Everything I ever done for you never cost you a single cent but I do like booze.
Have you used me? Are you a leech? I sure hope not. I consider you a friend so when will you quit?
To the rest of you, I was a world class archer, invented the lighted bow sight. I figured out how to tune a compound for broad heads. Won almost every IHMSA shoot, took home thousands of dollars of groceries with a flintlock or percussion. I made the revolver shoot out of box to under 1" at 100 yards. I fool deer so they come to you and feed all around you. It goes on and on but I lost all because I never had money and everything was stolen.
I made rifles so you could shoot a chuck in the eye at 600 yards, forget body shots!
I give freely to friends and all of you but to be taken advantage of is the worst.
I truly expect to see my information in articles without my name mentioned.
I am not stupid and see things when I am taken for stupid. You lose in the end. You lose a friend because of your pocket book.

I am defending no one. You wanted to know why FA decided not to chamber in the .500 JRH and I told you to call the source -- the actual source. Nothing more, nothing less....... You seem to be searching for some conspiracy where one doesn't exist.

ole 5 hole group
05-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Take a deep breath Jim and relax. I think you knew the answer to your question before you asked it, as paul h said it as tactfully as he could. Jack is a damn good gunsmith and modified FA’s to his liking but Baker owns the company and made his decision based on what was best for HIM – and that’s sometimes how the business world works and we don’t have to agree with it or accept it but that is how it sometimes is and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it. Jack moved on to bigger & better things and is doing well. Baker puts out 1st rate revolvers that is considered the Gold Standard of Revolvers by many and yes, most of us know your opinion on that also but most don't care about your opinion relative to FA's.:D

As for your accomplishments – good for you and good for the rest of us that you were the spark plug – the problem with you back then is you were ignorant of intellectual property laws, as were most of us back then. Benchrest shooters were using a crude barrel tuning device I think was 1st used by Nate Bloop and all of a sudden Browning came out with the BOSS – same concept. I & others were using play-do for stock pressure points if free floating didn’t work and we didn’t feel like rebedding – sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t – I was using the Lindy Rig many years before that came out and I copied it from a guy living in Wisconsin that I saw fishing with it and asked to see just what he had – where he 1st saw it or when he came up with the idea I don’t have a clue but very few guys ever thought about patents and trying to make money off “hobbies”. Some are wired that way and some aren’t – you, I and others weren’t and I don’t begrudge anyone who was wired right and made a fortune – all I say is good for them and theirs and I’ll maybe do things differently in my next life.

bearcove
05-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Not much new these days. I have ideas once and a while and always have found it wasn't original.

Some feel they are rich in winning the business game. More and more I don't care about money beyond being to able to persue my interests. And finding a simple cheap way to do that is satisfying.

All the I did this and I do that, gets boring.

I've had a few good days along the way too! I hope we all do.

44man
05-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Not much new these days. I have ideas once and a while and always have found it wasn't original.

Some feel they are rich in winning the business game. More and more I don't care about money beyond being to able to persue my interests. And finding a simple cheap way to do that is satisfying.

All the I did this and I do that, gets boring.

I've had a few good days along the way too! I hope we all do.
Good for you. I never expected to get rich either but once in a while I should be mentioned.
Easton arrows is using my tuning method. My mistake was sending it out to see if it would get in print. Reject after reject---so be it. But it spread.

bearcove
05-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Today is the first day of the rest of my life. Corny as hell!

But true.

Also kind of refreshing on those mornings when you KNOW you did something stupid or were done wrong by someone you trusted.

white eagle
05-23-2012, 09:20 PM
man! !

bearcove
05-23-2012, 09:34 PM
I know! I'm getting all warm and fuzzy. I'll feel better tomorow when I wake up grumpy.[smilie=l:

bigboredad
05-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Hey .44man just curious if you have lived in West Virginia your entire life

44man
05-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Hey .44man just curious if you have lived in West Virginia your entire life
No, I am from Ohio. Had to move when transferred to Dulles working for UAL. No sane working man could afford to live in VA! [smilie=l:
I worked at CLE Hopkins until the hub closed.

44man
05-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Sounds corny but I never expected much with any information I came up with. I went through it for years with UAL and the system that paid for finding a fix for something. I turned in many solutions and never made a dime but a year later after my suggestions ran out, there they were, in use.
The worst are "friends" that use you and take your findings to the bank. I seen too many on the archery circuit. I made the first lighted bow sights, hunted with them and used them for night shoots. Next thing I knew they were being sold. At the time I might have been making $2.25 an hour.
I even had mercury switches to turn the lights on for whatever position I set them for. I made proximity switches to turn lights on when the broad head got next to it. I made use of reed switches.
See the light bulb? It fits in a 1/16" hole, fiber optic takes the light to the lens I made. Then I went to diodes, paid 3 cents apiece.
Even today, a few come, suck information, then reject when all I ever asked is one comment---JIM DID THIS! To take what you learn and tell the world you are smart----well what can I say? :shock:
Pay more attention to what I post, I tell anything I find as does everyone else here but are there rag writers taking?
Let me talk about Baker. We never, ever talked. I found stuff I did not like and he blamed me with pretty vile remarks to friends and put all the blame on me. I ruined his barrels by slugging them so all of you that slug barrels, better toss them out!
He sits where the sun never shines in my opinion.

bearcove
05-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Just send those ruined barrels to me. I'm a devoted recycler.:drinks:

TCTex
05-26-2012, 07:18 PM
500 JRH anyone???

:2 drunk buddies:

:drinks:

bearcove
05-26-2012, 07:27 PM
:)Big boolit, big boom, Short cylinder.

44man
05-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Never, ever shoot a deer facing you! :mrgreen:

bearcove
05-26-2012, 09:23 PM
I bet if someone handed you a 475L and a 500JRH both the same and loaded, and you shot both, You wouldn't notice much difference.

Neither would what you were shooting.

44man
05-27-2012, 08:33 AM
I bet if someone handed you a 475L and a 500JRH both the same and loaded, and you shot both, You wouldn't notice much difference.

Neither would what you were shooting.
That's about true. It seems the .475 has more torque is all.
No deer I have hit with either has gone out of sight and some just dropped without a wiggle .
Not many revolvers have deer run headlong into trees after being hit! [smilie=l: