PDA

View Full Version : Surprise!

Echo
05-19-2012, 11:55 AM
I found a Lyman 4-banger in 358429 on eBay, bid on it, and won the auction. I already have a 2-cavity in that persuasion, but thought that maybe, if this one cast nicely, I could double my output and sell the 2-banger. Surprise! When it got here, it wasn't a Lyman! It is an IDEAL! In a Lyman box, complete with correct nomenclature on the sticker (sticker marked 'Lyman') and form-fitting foam insert to stabilize the blocks for shipping. If I didn't know better (I don't) I would think that Lyman is making 'Heritage' molds.
SO - my question is, Did Ideal make 4-banger molds? I guess they did, but I thought they mainly made 1- & 2-bangers.
Anyway, I haven't cast any yet - more on that subject later.

GP100man
05-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Lucky DOG !!!!

Yes IDEAL cut 4 bangers ,but not in the quanitys Lyman does .

I`d have the 2 holer HPed .

Hope it serves ya well !!!

rintinglen
05-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Lyman made a lot of 4-cavity molds marked Ideal. If you have a 358-429, then it was Lyman manufactured--Lyman bought Ideal in 1925, while Elmer Keith didn't finalize his design until the late 20's. Ideal had an excellent reputation with shooter's back when my Grandpa was in short pants, and Lyman wanted to keep the good reputation and capitalize on it. Consequently, you bought Lyman gunsights, but Ideal molds. ( At least up until some time in the 1950's or 60's.) The four cavity molds came into being in the 1950's, according to my battered old Lyman 3rd Edition CB Handbook.
Back in the day, you could get just about any mold they made that way. In those days, most "experienced" casters advised that a single cavity was best to minimize boolit to boolit variation, as well as a certain pundit opining that a single cavity mold could easily produce (ladle casting) 300 boolits an hour. Lot of shenanigans to be called on some of those old timers.