PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XDs .45 acp

Matthew 25
05-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I'd like to get the opinions of you guys on the Springfield XDs.
http://www.xdspistol.com/specs.php

I think it looks like a great carry gun, but I got to wondering if there is more hype than is necessary. It's a very small 5+1 .45 acp. It's a little smaller and a little lighter than a compact 1911 (such as the Kimber UCII) and has a trigger mechanism maybe more people are comfortable with.

I compared the XDs (on paper) to the Kimber UCII, the SP101, and the Springfield XD subcompact in 9mm. That's when I began to wonder if it's really as wonderful as the gun press is suggesting.
-it's 5oz lighter and a little shorter than the SP101 with 1 more round
-it's 3.5 oz lighter than the 1911 Kimber UCII and holds 2 LESS rounds
-it's 4.5 oz lighter than the XDsc in 9mm but holds 8 LESS rounds!
-it's a little thinner than all of these as well.

I know there is no real answer, but I respect the ideas and opinions I read from you all.

garym1a2
05-19-2012, 06:41 PM
I had a full size XD .45acp and while it had possibilities the recoil spring was too heavy for me and it made the slide too hard to rack. Check it if you want to buy one.

I'd like to get the opinions of you guys on the Springfield XDs.
http://www.xdspistol.com/specs.php

I think it looks like a great carry gun, but I got to wondering if there is more hype than is necessary. It's a very small 5+1 .45 acp. It's a little smaller and a little lighter than a compact 1911 (such as the Kimber UCII) and has a trigger mechanism maybe more people are comfortable with.

I compared the XDs (on paper) to the Kimber UCII, the SP101, and the Springfield XD subcompact in 9mm. That's when I began to wonder if it's really as wonderful as the gun press is suggesting.
-it's 5oz lighter and a little shorter than the SP101 with 1 more round
-it's 3.5 oz lighter than the 1911 Kimber UCII and holds 2 LESS rounds
-it's 4.5 oz lighter than the XDsc in 9mm but holds 8 LESS rounds!
-it's a little thinner than all of these as well.

I know there is no real answer, but I respect the ideas and opinions I read from you all.

DRNurse1
05-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Interesting question, but I might ask what do you plan to do with this tool first. If you are looking for a back up gun for your existing .45ACP...or do you want a plinking gun...target gun...?
If the first, the small size of the XD might be nice, but only if it accepts your existing magazines. For the other options you could find a better tool. I think this is designed to be a back up carry gun for someone who carries an XD. Just my $.02.

birddog21
05-19-2012, 08:06 PM
I will have one when they come but none have shipped yet but I am a Springfield guy xdm compact and 4.5 40cal and the wife has xd sub compact 9mm

bigboredad
05-19-2012, 09:35 PM
I have a carry a .45xd compact and I love the gun and the way it shoots but there are times a lighter slimmer gun would be nice. It really comes down to what do you want the gun for

W.R.Buchanan
05-20-2012, 06:23 PM
My experience with the .45 XD is the same as Garym1A2. A friend bought the gun and sold it because he couldn't run the slide. I tried it as I have a better grip than he does and it was very hard to rack the slide. This was a full sized gun, and a smaller gun would only be harder to manipulate.

I have a Glock 21SF .45ACP and it is nothing like the Springfield XD in this regard and my friend has no problems running the slide on it. It is just and easier gun to run.

If you are proficient in running an auto pistol then it would be easier for you to learn to run this gun ... If you are a novice or beginner and don't have all of your gun handling skills well established, then this is not the gun for you to learn on.

A full sized 9mm or .40 S&W XDM would be a far better choice to learn on.

Better yet, get a Glock 17, 19, 22, or 23 or even a used one, you'll pay less and the gun will serve you for the learning experience better and if you decide you want to change to something else later you can always get your money back out of a Glock. A Glock is about as liquid an asset these days as there is. Lots of people want them. They are essentially the VW bug of pistols.

Randy

c3d4b2
05-20-2012, 10:39 PM
You can find a lot of information at the following site.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/

Matthew 25
05-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for that link, I wasn't aware of of that site, it looks pretty good.

I do have an XDM 45 and it must have a different spring in it, it's easier to rack than a stock 1911.

Thanks for the input. I only recently became aware of the plastic guns' merits. I was a huge un-fan, but now that I own the XDM I kinda like them. They're still ugly and feel like a brick, but man it's easy to shoot accurately and pretty fast.

MtGun44
05-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Thin is very helpful in CCW. XD is anything but thin.
Nice gun in many ways, but a thinner gun is much easier to conceal.

I normally carry a ltwt Commander SS. Very thin.

Bill

warf73
05-22-2012, 05:30 AM
I,m looking at the XD Slim and the Shield in 40S&W, both seem to be very nice guns for CCW. Both are lighter than my sp101 and both have alot more knock down than my summer carry 380. Number of rounds don't play a big factor for me as the 380 is 6+1 and the sp is only 5. My biggest concern is weight, width and pistol grip legth. I carry a xd 40 alot and the biggest issue I have is the handle printing. I have to hold the slim before I make up my mind and drop the cash.

xringshutr
05-22-2012, 05:49 AM
Another thing to consider. I have a buddy that has an XD 45 and it does NOT feed SWC's at all. In case you wanted it for range work. Just FYI.

bigboredad
05-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Another thing to consider. I have a buddy that has an XD 45 and it does NOT feed SWC's at all. In case you wanted it for range work. Just FYI.

the sw is only a issue with the xd's the newer xdm's can shoot sw with no problem

odfairfaxsub
05-22-2012, 11:43 AM
i shot 255 gr swc out of mine no problem

bigboredad
05-22-2012, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=odfairfaxsub;1718628]i shot 255 gr swc out of mine no problem[/QUO

was that out of the xd or xdm? I tried the 200gr swc but not very hard. After a mag full of nose dives I figured they were right and I gave up. The 255gr Lee rnfp work great out of it and I still use them

Matthew 25
05-22-2012, 09:10 PM
I just ordered a bunch of 200g RNFP for the xdm and the repro 1918. They work great in both.

bigboredad
05-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm shooting a 200gr rnfp from accurate mold that I totally love. It shoots great out of the xd and out of my 1911. I looking at some of his 230gr molds I really like to get a 4 or 5 cavity so i can really crank out the bullets

odfairfaxsub
05-22-2012, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=odfairfaxsub;1718628]i shot 255 gr swc out of mine no problem[/QUO

was that out of the xd or xdm? I tried the 200gr swc but not very hard. After a mag full of nose dives I figured they were right and I gave up. The 255gr Lee rnfp work great out of it and I still use them

that was out of a circa 2004-5 xd fullsize.

c3d4b2
05-22-2012, 10:03 PM

I tried SWC's in the XD with only 1 in the mag and did not have any feed problems. After 10 successfully attempts I loaded 3 in the mag and this is when the problems started. The reason for the chambering issue was: as the empty case ejected it was impacting the square shoulder of the SWC (at the mouth of the case) and was deforming the bullet and case mouth. Once the bullet and case mouth was deformed the bullet would not chamber.

MtGun44
05-23-2012, 09:57 AM
I have read that newer XDs have a bump on the bottom of the slide that holds the
top round down slightly as the slide moves back while extracting the fired case.
Apparently this is enough for the rim of the extracted case to miss the SWC shoulder
and let the gun work with SWCs.

My brother has one of the early ones and it will not work with SWCs.
Bill