PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Rifle

DCP
05-19-2012, 07:57 AM
Shipping a Rifle

I just bought a Rifle. [smilie=w:

The gentleman figures shipping at $30.
I get an email that it cost him $85.00 through UPS and how does everyone ship for $30.00

When I ship a long gun shipping is less than $25.00 USPS

What has happened at UPS. :holysheep

This is what I know as of now

UPS ground TX to IL 3 days

He bought a 48inch shipping box included in the shipping cost of $85.00

Weight 15.90 lb.

Insurance $500.00

Thanks

oneokie
05-19-2012, 08:13 AM
He didn't know or was not aware that he could ship USPS by shipping it to your FFL?
Or, if it was a C&R gun, he could ship it directly to you via USPS if you have a C&R license?

UPS requires overnight shipping to cut down on the theft of firearms by their employees.

DCP
05-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Its was shipped 3 day ground and its a Rifle. Even for UPS This shipping seems outrageously high.

He didn't know or was not aware that he could ship USPS by shipping it to your FFL?
Or, if it was a C&R gun, he could ship it directly to you via USPS if you have a C&R license?

UPS requires overnight shipping to cut down on the theft of firearms by their employees.

Geraldo
05-19-2012, 09:11 AM
$30 would have been ground service, 3 day is more. Insurance also jacks up the price, which is really insuring it against UPS losing, destroying, or stealing it.

DCP
05-19-2012, 09:30 AM
It was shipped UPS Ground it will just be here in 3 days ( Wednesday)

UPS Ground
Get guaranteed, date-scheduled, cost-effective delivery for commercial and residential shipments

Delivery Commitment Day-definite delivery typically in one to five days

Service Area Destinations and Origins:
All 50 states and Puerto Rico

Benefits Prompt, dependable, cost-effective shipping
With guaranteed delivery, know in advance when your shipment will arrive
An economical choice for all of your routine shipments

$30 would have been ground service, 3 day is more. It Insurance also jacks up the price, which is really insuring it against UPS losing, destroying, or stealing it.

darkroommike
05-19-2012, 09:46 AM
AND if he bought the box and packing materials from a UPS store and shipped through a UPS store there would be all sorts of extra cost involved. The stores are franchised and very profit driven.

Kraschenbirn
05-19-2012, 10:10 AM
When firearms/ammunition have been involved, my experience(s) with our local UPS have never been what you would consider 'warm & fuzzy'. Once, when I wanted to ship a barreled-action to a 'smith for rebarreling, I had the Terminal Manager tell me, quite loudly, that it was against federal law for ANY non-licensed "civilian" to ship ANY firearm by ANY means and that all shipments had to be FFL-to-FFL and threated call the feds and have me arrested. (A call to the regional office got my packaged shipped but no apology for their manager's rudeness.) Last time, I needed to return a half-dozen boxes of factory ammo to Grafs (my error) and was told by their counter person that "UPS doesn't ship hazardous materials"...and the box I was trying to return had still had its original UPS address label and ORM-D sticker!! (Took the package down the street to FEDEX and received Graf's e-mail confirmation of my return three days later.) My local post office branch doesn't even ask to see a copy of the addressee's FFL or business card/letterhead when I ship a long gun.

Bill

Rex
05-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Do not buy your box or have ups package it for you! I did once! I sent a shotgun barrel from Nebraska to Mass. for some work and my-oh-my their packageing, etc in the store gets pricy in a hurry.

DCP
05-20-2012, 09:52 AM
The gentleman told me the box and bubble wrap was $30.00

The box was 48x12x12 he laughed when he said he could have shipped a bag of golf clubs in it

If you take $30.00 off for packing and box your still a staggering $55.00

condorjohn
05-20-2012, 10:35 AM
The other day I sent a rifle, from OR to MN, USPS Priority insured for $400. Cost was $48.50.
If I remember correctly, a year ago one like it was around $12 less.

Lloyd Smale
05-21-2012, 05:50 AM
just sent one back regular ground to remington through ups and it was 24 bucks. Regular groud is ok for rifles but not handguns. My guess is that the ups agent where it was send didnt realize that. But then i allready had it boxed up.

Reload3006
05-21-2012, 07:58 AM
If you dont mind the shocked stares, The wait for the postal employee to search in there Catalog of rules and regulations the USPS is the way to ship any long gun. I needed to send my shot gun to Remington for repairs. Took it to a UPS store they wanted to ship it Fed EX was going to be over a hundred ... I told them to kiss it and took it to USPS and sent it for 25 insured with delivery conformation. I have found that it is much cheaper and more dependable to do all my shipping with the postal service.

Jim
05-21-2012, 08:18 AM
I've shipped several long guns by USPS and had no problems. Packed it to 'bomb proof' level, insured for a figure similar to the national debt and it got there in good time without any issues.

Goatwhiskers
05-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Many people have had all sorts of problems shipping firearms thru a UPS "store". These are privately owned and the operators are not educated in the actual rules applicable to shipping firearms. You may also be the victim of the store operators personal prejudice against guns. Best is to take the item to a UPS terminal and ship it there, there's one in most larger towns. I agree about shipping thru USPS, much simpler and cheaper, just remember that it is illegal to ship any handgun thru USPS, ever. Also that you cannot ship to an individual unless he has an FFL and make sure you have a copy if questions ever should be asked. Goat

Geraldo
05-21-2012, 09:23 AM
The "golf bag" box (UPS's name for it) is pricey. I had to buy one to ship a rifle that I couldn't break down. Normally I scrounge shipping boxes from gun shops, but as I said, the rifle wouldn't fit in anything normal sized.

As for UPS, expect the stores to freak out or refuse to ship. I ship at the terminal, and even there the employees are clueless. I walked in one day to see a new sign saying that UPS policy is to ship only from FFL to FFL, yet they shipped my rifle. If at all possible, I ship everything USPS.

Shipping guns is one area where the government's rules are more reasonable than private industry.

DCP
05-21-2012, 10:06 AM
I found this

They weren't even supposed to ship it.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities).

Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via, UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.

When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.

lcclower
05-22-2012, 01:10 PM
I just shipped a rifle from a UPS Customer Center for $20.90 including signature and insurance ($400),
the box from "Boxes to GO" or some such place was $5 for a gun-specific box, and a sheet of styrofoam from Homely Despot was $10 and I have 2/3 of it left.