PDA

View Full Version : Silver plated H&R Trapdoor v Pedersoli Sharps carbine?

Four Fingers of Death
04-16-2007, 03:18 AM
I have bought a nib Silver plated H&R commemmorative, which is still at the gunshop. Every time I get a permit to acquire it, I see a nice milsup rifle or lever gun :(

This is a nice rifle, but I can't abide a rifle that I can't shoot and I feel that it would be a shame to shoot this one and it would be a bear to keep clean and stop the silver plate tarnishing (BTW, these were $US1200+ in 1967!!!!).

I am yet to pick the rifle up, but the shop has a new Pedersoli 45/70 in a cavalry carbine trim and I can take either. The pedersoli would be way more practical, but the H&R is a real trapdoor (albiet new) and it is purtyyyyyyyyyyy!

Before you say it, I can't afford both.

here is the H&R, I don't have a pic of the pedersoli, but it is a standard one, metal is nicely done with colour case hardening, well finished with pretty ordinary wood.

Suggestions?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Single%20Shots%20and%20Target%20Rifles/c9ba8a1b-1.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Single%20Shots%20and%20Target%20Rifles/326e9138.jpg

Mick.

I will be glad when I'm completely broke, I won't have to make these confounded decisions.

I suppose I could hard chrome plate the harddware as it tarnished.

Buckshot
04-16-2007, 03:32 AM
...............I would buy the one you would shoot. I suspect that would be the Pedersoli :-). I cannot afford to buy a gun I can't shoot, and even though the H&R is for sure shootable, do you want to? But then again, if you didn't pay a collectable price for it, shoot it! If you can shoot it and already have a Sharps, get the TD :-)

.....................Buckshot

SharpsShooter
04-16-2007, 05:06 AM
Mick

I suspect that a "safe queen" is just what you don't need. Like Buckshot, I personally can't afford something that would not get used. I'd vote for the Pedersoli unless the H&R is a good enough deal to buy now and use for trade goods later.

SS

Four Fingers of Death
04-16-2007, 07:28 AM
I did get it pretty cheap, considering. I have to wait a month or so for another permit, so I will ponder on the matter. It might bring a good price at an auction.

C1PNR
04-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Mick,
Get the Officer's Model H&R! It's a beautiful example of the genre, and you WILL shoot it! OK, maybe just with smokeless, but it begs to be fired!

And what the heck, a few rounds of 45/55/405 in the Holy Black out of that Carbine surely would give one an idea of what Custer's troops went through (different targets, of course).[smilie=1:

Four Fingers of Death
04-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Sorry, I've betrayed the fold :( and accepted an offer of a new Police Remington 308 Pump gun, 120x rounds of Remington 180Gn Corelokt ammo, a spare mag and leupold q/d mounts and rings. I'll have to stick to shooting my BPCR Browning for awhile. I think I will keep my eyes open for an original Trapdoor, or our equivalent, the Snider. Mick.

montana_charlie
04-17-2007, 01:33 PM
I am yet to pick the rifle up, but the shop has a new Pedersoli 45/70 in a cavalry carbine trim and I can take either. The pedersoli would be way more practical, but the H&R is a real trapdoor (albiet new) and it is purtyyyyyyyyyyy!

Suggestions?

Sorry, I've betrayed the fold :( and accepted an offer of a new Police Remington 308 Pump gun, 120x rounds of Remington 180Gn Corelokt ammo, a spare mag and leupold q/d mounts and rings.
A fairly fickle four-fingered foreigner, for sure...

Bad Flynch
04-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Some of the H&R Trapdoors had a problem with the breech block latch. Eventually they would get so that the breech blocks would open when fired and auto-eject the cases. It was fixable, but the Pedersoli has had no such problems.

Four Fingers of Death
04-20-2007, 02:24 AM
"breech blocks would open when fired and auto-eject the cases"

That's a bit disconcerting! :(

KCSO
04-20-2007, 10:58 AM
The H and R Trapdoors are not really shooters. H and R (according to Walters in Handloader) said they are not warrented with anything but B/P equivlant loads. In addition the H and R folks to avoid some machining made the trapdoor lever in two pieces and it is held together with a set screw. This screw backs out in use and pretty soon you are stuck with a gun that had to be repaired before you can unload it. For the pricve of the silver plated wall hanger you can get a fine Sharps or a modern Trapdoor or even a nice original. I had an H and R new in about 1980 and was some dissapointed with it. I traded it for an original that was some beat, but had a good bore and was much happier.

Four Fingers of Death
04-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I think my decision to hang out for an original was a better one.