PDA

View Full Version : question about chick change bushings for dies

seasidehunter
05-18-2012, 08:31 PM
so I was thinking of getting a Lee "Kit" and using quick change bushings.

is it correct that I can only use the Lee bushings? can't use the Hornady system with Lee? is that right?

thanks for the help & advice

troyboy
05-18-2012, 08:36 PM
That would be a correct assumption. Nothing wrong with the Lee system. If you want to use the dies without the QC just leave the bushing in the press.

05-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Man, I thought this was about a new system that used chicks to change the dies.

GT27
05-18-2012, 10:51 PM
I'll take 2 please!

geargnasher
05-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I thought at first Lee was trying to one-up Dillon Precision by supplying the actual chicks instead of just pictures of them. Oh, well.

Gear

wallenba
05-18-2012, 11:47 PM
The only Lee press that can use the Hornady bushings is this one http://www.midwayusa.com/product/317831/lee-classic-cast-single-stage-press
You must use the conversion kit > http://www.midwayusa.com/product/858110/hornady-lock-n-load-press-and-die-conversion-bushing-kit

1hole
05-20-2012, 06:47 PM
I don't see any effective difference between Lee and Hornady bushings but IF I had one I'd just buy what I needed.

Actually, it only takes me about 40 seconds to exchange dies normally - by hand - so even if bushing dies exchanged instantly I can't imagine that saving a minute or two per reloading session could change the quality of my life. Thus, there will be no "quick die swap" gimmicks on my press.

9.3X62AL
05-20-2012, 08:17 PM
I don't see any effective difference between Lee and Hornady bushings but IF I had one I'd just buy what I needed.

Actually, it only takes me about 40 seconds to exchange dies normally - by hand - so even if bushing dies exchanged instantly I can't imagine that saving a minute or two per reloading session could change the quality of my life. Thus, there will be no "quick die swap" gimmicks on my press.

But a Chick Change Die Set would have a PROFOUND effect on my quality of life.......as in, make it MUCH more complicated. Six daughters and a spouse was quite enough, thank you.

wallenba
05-21-2012, 07:35 PM
I like that the Hornady lock rings hold the settings perfectly without pushing a set screw into the threads, and the bushings just speed things up. The new Lee bushings also have a cinch lock on the ring too.

r1kk1
05-22-2012, 11:23 AM

+1

same here,

r1kk1

MtGun44
05-22-2012, 11:18 PM
I just change my own, takes too long getting the chick over to the house.

Bill

KYCaster
05-23-2012, 04:23 PM
I kept having to buy it food and shoes. I agree with Al.....much less complicated without the chick.

I have the Hornady bushings on two L&L presses. One stays set up for 45ACP, so no help there.

The other gets changed occasionally, so the bushings save a few minutes with the change over, but you have to have four or five bushings for every caliber you load. That could add up to $ pretty quickly, but I guess its still cheaper than buying shoes. :violin:

Jerry

geargnasher
05-24-2012, 02:03 PM
If you use a hand press at the range, the Lee quick-change bushings are the bee's knees.

Chicks require a lot more than 40 seconds to exchange.

Gear

seasidehunter
06-10-2012, 06:23 PM
hahaha

chick change

sorry guys

canyon-ghost
06-10-2012, 06:47 PM
9.3X62AL has the idea, chick change is hard to come by.