PDA

View Full Version : Tech Advice on 1863 Zouave requested

Omnivore
05-18-2012, 04:48 PM
I want to set up an Armi Sport Zouave as a shooter, for a friend. The rear sight leaves flop around with no resistence. Useless. I was going to install a leaf spring and detent system, but the whole rear sight assembly is junk. The leaf screw is drilled at a horrible angle.

Anyway, I figure I can get a new rear sight assembly, either original repro, or something else.

Questions;

1. For what load (powder and projectile) are the factory leaf settings calibrated? Or at least; where do we start? I assume you have to file for windage zero and for tweaking the elevation, 'cause neither front or rear sights are on this rifle are adjustable any other way.

2. He has the removable "sniper" front sight also. How is that meant to be used? It's a lot taller than the factory front sight, so I have to assume that it is designed to be used with a different rear. Maybe a tang aperture sight? But I don't see one sold anywhere for that setup. DIxe sells the front "sniper" sight for the Zouave, but says nothing about it whatsoever.

I'm thinking of either replacing the factory rear with another like it, hoping that it will not also be junk (if my friend wants to keep it more original) or installing a filler wedge at that position and installing a tang sight of some kind. Maybe we'll forget the "sniper" front sight altogether-- it seems pretty rinky-dink, being held on with a set screw.

Janoosh
05-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I have an old Navy Arms Zouave. The rear sight on mine is just a half dove-tail and a clamp to hold the sight in place. To cure the "Flops", pinch in the sides of the sight. Take it apart first. Moderating the sights......Hoo Boy, now your talkin. I read that you could drill a hole in the second two of the three blades to use as a peep. It works, be patient. I filed the first blade to print dead on at 50yds at 60 grns of the Holy Black (2F). A round ball is the most accurate in mine. Also 575494.

05-18-2012, 07:36 PM
"Hoo boy" That's an understatement. I suppose sometime 1863 or earlier they were "regulated". More or less regulated for elevation to the issue minie and charges in use would be closer to the truth. For windage I think they just set it up more or less on center and called it good.

If the repro rear is like the original there is a single screw that holds the flip up blade. I removed the screw and flip up blade. I fashioned a slightly taller single blade in the shape of an L. I knew from shooting the original blade as to where the center of the top of the front sight had to be for POI=POA at 50 yards- it needed a hair left windage and as low as it could be drilled. I drilled a hole at that location in the new blade and installed it in place of the as-issued blade. I bagged, marked and stored the original so I could replace if I wanted it back to original condition. I fashioned an add-on taller front blade and glued it on the front sight with JB Weld. Got a little lucky and it was within 3/4 inch at 50 yds for my minie and charge.

If you are talking about one of the add-on X tube sights for the front. It is designed fairly tall so when placed on an average military rifle with battlefield regulated rear sights you'd have a better chance of being close on elevation. Normal pre-20th century military sights have a minimum zero setting that is way too high for more modern uses. The worst I have is an 1879 Rem RB in 43 Spanish that had a minimum rear zero of about 12" high at 50 yards. The only way to cure that was to use a taller front sight and redesign the rear sight. The same even applies to Trapdoors where you have to add a much taller front blade to get to reasonable minimum zero. At least with Trapdoors the front blade is removable. Unforturnately many of the older military arms were made with permanent type barley corn fronts.

Janoosh
05-18-2012, 08:24 PM
+1 405, "regulation" of the sights. Must be a lost art. LOL. I bought my Zouave to hunt with. So... I first shot groups at 50yds to see which load printed best. 60-70 grns of the Holy Black 2F. Round Ball grouped the best. 570 plus 015 patch. Next I filed the small rear sight for elevation. Next, and re-read this part. I enlarged the rear notch towards the side I wanted the Boolits to go. Enlarge left, to go left. Enlarge right, to go right. The notch is now off center. But you've achieved windage! Hoo Boy! I shoot three and clean. Shoot three and clean. As if I were hunting. If I blew the first shot, a second is necessary, if that's a mess, the last won't be! Three and clean. As if hunting.

omgb
05-18-2012, 09:17 PM
I ordered an old Krag sight from Numrich. I had the barrel drilled and tapped and mounted the sight. It has a peep, a ladder sliding blade and windage adjustment. Total cost was under $80

05-18-2012, 11:30 PM
I went to the trouble of altering the sights on mine so that everything was reversible. It wasn't a simple aftermarket, 2 screw 5 minute change out, but it wasn't very hard either. It is an original Rem Zouave so no way no how was I going to start drilling or cutting. Now, if your friend gives the go ahead to some drilling, tapping, etc. on the repro- I'd say the sky is the limit. From front blade to any kind of adjustable rear sight you can imagine. There are any number of superior, user friendly sights out there that would work.

bob208
05-20-2012, 10:28 PM
the way 405 did his sights is the best. although more trouble then just slaping a different sight on. it is worth it. once set up right they work and don't get out of adjusment.

he service load was 60 gr. 2f. with a 500 gr bullet. go more then that powder charge with a issue bullet and you are asking to blow a skirt in the barrel. minies like to be pure lead and only .001-.002 undersize.

my rifle is set up with the lock and the last 2" and tang glassbeded. the wood under the barrel where the bands are has been relived. draw the tang screw sown the same number of turns each time. i have mine marked.

get that all done and get the rifle grouping then start working on the sights.

59sharps
05-21-2012, 09:57 PM
blank L rear sights can be gotten from S & S firearm and other sutlers.

Omnivore
05-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the input.

His current rear is too defective in my opinion, to do anything with it, except maybe for use as a blank dovetail filler.

I had the owner sort of interested in the Pedersoli "Ghost Creedmore" sight;
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-accessorio.asp/l_en/idpr_144/pre_0/accessories-creedmoors-ghost-creedmoor.html
until I found out that the mounting hole spacing is more than the length of the barrel tang. I like some of the other options you people have suggested. Thank you.

With his old eyes, and the positive experience with peep sights that my own old eyes have had, I may opt to build something like the Pedersoli sight above, to fit his Zouave. I really like the tang peep sights on my Lyman muzzleloader and Winchester '94. They bring the front sight and the target into focus like nothing else (except a scope). Getting a replacement Zouave rear sight (one that hopefully isn't cock-eyed like this one) and making a new leaf for it with a peep hole isn't too bad an idea either. Something like that Pedersoli unit would be W&E adjustable though. Decisions decisions.