PDA

View Full Version : Reloading bench / mdf question

codeNshoot
05-17-2012, 02:14 PM
I might be stretching the category some, but here it is all the same.

I got a big heavy table from someone on craigslist for $15 that will make a perfect reloading bench. Laminated top over some MDF. Its got a ton of room, and is heavy as can be. Easily cleanable, and has some storage built in. On to the question at hand...

I have heard that mdf doesn't play nicely with finely threaded screws. What do you guys use to secure a press to MDF ? My thought presently is either some coarsely threaded lag bolts or a hex bolt with an unthreaded shank, with threading at the bottom and with a washer with a nut.

I'm sure someone here has had success with some combination of the above, I'd like to hear what has worked for you.

cheese1566
05-17-2012, 02:20 PM
I made my bench using 3/4"mdf for the top and the rear cabinet for the storage shelf unit.

I used drywall screws with predrilled holes and wood glue to build the cabinet. The top of the bench is held down just by a few drywall scres to keep it in place.

All of my equipment though is bolted through the mdf and either into a supporting 2x4 of the frame bench or into a wide 2x6 laying flat under the mdf. I like to use a steel plate to bolt to the bench, then the press bolts to the plate,, just me though.

Screwing the press into just mdf wont last too long.....

Chihuahua Floyd
05-17-2012, 02:25 PM
+1 on what cheese said, bolt thru for anything.
CF

Moonie
05-17-2012, 02:48 PM
I agree with Chihuahua Floyd, my bench is very over engineered, extra legs on each side of the presses that are cross braced and all presses are bolted through the 2x8. Flex is bad especially with progressives.

PS. I do need to get back to Bryson City, one of the best vacations I've ever had.

birdadly
05-17-2012, 02:50 PM
As Cheese said, bolt thru AND put a solid piece of wood under the MDF, otherwise the washer my sink right up into it. I put a solid piece of wood under the press too, but I do like the idea of the steel plate! -Brad

MGySgt
05-17-2012, 02:57 PM
My bench top is double layer 3/4 plywood - I still bolt, washer and washer, nut. I use fender washers to keep them from going into the wood.

A press (even a luber sizer) puts a lot of stress on the press/mounting aparatus.

44Vaquero
05-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Plus 1 on the Fender Washers and a backing plate larger than the presses foot print. I would also use some construction adhesive for good measure. You may need to reinforce the rest of the table as-well depending how it is constructed it may want to flex.

codeNshoot
05-17-2012, 04:40 PM
I knew there would be a wealth of information here, and it took about an hour. This community is great.

I'll probably grab a long 2X8 and use it to sandwich the mdf where I mount my press. If flex is an issue, I'll brace it.

I thought that simply drilling and bolting would leave me with a press-sized hole eventually, you all confirmed my suspicions.
I'll place the press in line with the metal frame on the side that I mount it to, and hope that I dont have to scrap my middle drawer in order to cross-brace.

Thanks for all the advice. You guys saved me some grief in the long term. Much appreciated.

cNs

1hole
05-17-2012, 05:01 PM
"....a hex bolt...., with threading at the bottom and with a washer with a nut."

Ditto.

paul h
05-17-2012, 06:28 PM
My bench top is double layer 3/4 plywood - I still bolt, washer and washer, nut. I use fender washers to keep them from going into the wood.

A press (even a luber sizer) puts a lot of stress on the press/mounting aparatus.

Dittos, doubled up 3/4" ply through bolted with a fender washer on the back side.

If the bench you got is well made in the legs, consider putting a layer of 3/4" ply over the mdf, and use some liquid nails to attach the ply to the mdf.

I've yet to have a reloading bench that was too stiff or strong, but have regretted a wimpy desk in the past.

codeNshoot
05-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Dittos, doubled up 3/4" ply through bolted with a fender washer on the back side.

If the bench you got is well made in the legs, consider putting a layer of 3/4" ply over the mdf, and use some liquid nails to attach the ply to the mdf.

I've yet to have a reloading bench that was too stiff or strong, but have regretted a wimpy desk in the past.

I like that idea. I'm sure I could get the existing mounting hardware off and throw another support layer underneath. I bet everything would bolt back on just fine.

The metal frame stops about 6-8" before the edge of the top, so all of the support is in the middle 2/3's of the bench. Bet if I glued and clamped a layer of ply underneath it it would be about perfect.

RACWIN375
05-17-2012, 07:03 PM
what every one said and my steel framed bench is bolted to the wall
I reload long straight wall cases with a rockchucker and need it bolted down

Rick

gwpercle
05-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Allways mount equiptment by drilling through to other side and use large washers or a combination of washers and flat plate steel . My press is now mounted with a 3/16 inch plate of steel on both the top and underside of the bench with holes drilled through secured with hex bolts, flat washers, lock washers and nuts ( on underside of course ). I did the steel plate reinforcement because my top was 3/4 inch plywood and I found the steel plates easier to install. Also the steel plates have four bolts holding them together in the corners and the bolts going thru the press. The plates are about 6 inches larger than the press base on both sides and the rear.

You can't get it too stiff . when I made mine I thought 3/4 plywood would be fine but its not quite enough for the forces of a single stage press and I tried several things before I went with the double steel plate. If you can get the second layer of 3/4 plywd on do it , that will take care of it.

gary

codeNshoot
05-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Well, its all mounted and works wonderfully. I think I could stand on the press arm and it wouldn't flex. Tested it resizing my largest rifle case that I load for, a 45-70. Sized like a dream, no flex, wobble, or movement other than the correct ram stroke.

I would have gotten it eventually, but thanks to the advice, it got done right the first time.

Thanks again everyone, truly appreciated.

rbuck351
06-18-2012, 03:07 AM
My current bench is double 3/4" with 2x12 under all the presses and through bolted. I did get a little carried away once and built a bench from railroad ties two wide x 8' long covered in 1/2" plywood with ties stacked under each end for legs. It took two guys to even move it but you could use a powder scale on one end while someone was loading on the other end.

joec
06-18-2012, 08:12 AM
I have metal plates under my press, via lee bench plates. I bolted them down to 3/4" MDF without a problem.