PDA

View Full Version : Looky what I found...

imashooter2
04-15-2007, 08:35 PM
So I'm over at my late Father in Law's place making sure all is secure with today's big storm. Check all the windows, make sure the roof isn't leaking, etc.. So I pop down the basement to make sure it isn't a 3 foot deep pond. Not too bad... there's a small stream coming in from under the door so I make sure the drain is clear and as I'm leaving, I play my flashlight over the floor joists. What's this? Looks like some rusty pipe. Well that's what it was sorta...

http://imashooter2.com/pictures/rem-760.jpg

All I know about it right now is it's a single shot .22 with Remington stamped on the barrel. Not sure if it's chambered for shorts, longs or long rifle. The action still opens, it has an extractor, and the trigger is pretty good.

I've been down that basement hundreds of times. Amazing.

45nut
04-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow,, excellent find!

imashooter2
04-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Flayderman says it's a Remington #6 Rolling Block. In excellent condition $185 or like mine, a fun clean up project. I'll take off the wood and soak the metal in trans fluid for a couple days and see if I can't get it into operating condition.

Buckshot
04-16-2007, 04:03 AM
..............Gee, looks like a fun project! Looks like a bolt head on the underside of the frame there. Betcha if you loosen it the barrel would come off? Heck if so it should be a simple deal to put on another barrel. Say, another 22 or maybe a 35 Whelen er sump'thin :-)

..............Buckshot

imashooter2
04-16-2007, 06:48 AM
..............Gee, looks like a fun project! Looks like a bolt head on the underside of the frame there. Betcha if you loosen it the barrel would come off? Heck if so it should be a simple deal to put on another barrel. Say, another 22 or maybe a 35 Whelen er sump'thin :-)

..............Buckshot

Yes, the barrel comes right off and is actually in great shape under there. That's the only spot though. This thing is as light as any rifle I've ever lifted and the stock is very narrow, maybe I'll just clean it up and see if I can get it to shoot .22's decently.[smilie=1:

corvette8n
04-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Try some of those Aguila Colbri primer powered 22's befroe you try a full power one. I have a Outers trap and shoot in my cellar on those winter days.:-D

Bret4207
04-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Yup, #6 Remington falling block. Not real strong. If the barrel is OK they shoot fair considering the "sights".

John Taylor
04-16-2007, 09:43 AM
I have one in the shop now for a new barrel, the old one was relined with a cheep liner and it was installed poorly. Be a good idea to check the head space before firing. To much head space will allow the case to rupture and can spray your face with powder and gas.

KCSO
04-16-2007, 01:25 PM
If everything else is there even if the bore is shot you still have a ggod rifle. These are plumb easy to reline as they pop right out. $75.00 and you get the barrle back with a NEW bore and the gun is back to a primo shooter. This one will be worth restoring.

scrapcan
04-16-2007, 03:46 PM
I looked at one in not much better shpae yesterday at a gunshow. Was alot higher priced than mentioned in this thread. needless to say, it does not live at my house. The patent date was 1902 or 1906 I think.

Looked to me like the chamber may have been for a 22 long or the 22 wrf (winchester rim fire, the short version of the 22wrm). Might check that out.

imashooter2
05-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Here it is. Net investment is a can of Zip Strip and a fresh sleeve of 000 steel wool. Haven't shot it yet. Maybe Monday. Not holding out high hopes for tack driving accuracy though. :)

Was:
http//imashooter2.com/pictures/rem-760.jpg

Is:
http://imashooter2.com/pictures/rem6-760.jpg

The good side of the receiver:
http://imashooter2.com/pictures/rem6rh-760.jpg

The bad side of the receiver:
http://imashooter2.com/pictures/rem6lh-760.jpg

A bit closer on the wood:
http://imashooter2.com/pictures/rem6rh1-760.jpg

RayinNH
05-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Ima, your project came out pretty well considering what you started with. Should be a fun gun to shoot those vicious sabertooth charging tin cans...Ray

DLCTEX
05-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Really good considering the start, nice find. When I was kid I found an old Damascus double barrel shotgun that looked about the same. I cleaned it up and test fired it by sticking the butt in an old tire on one side and tying it down on the other side. A couple of yanks with a long cord, very long, fired it. Every thing was fine except the combine which was sitting nearby, seems the first yank turned the tire so that the barrel was pointed toward the grain hopper. That was the only shot I ever fired with it. Dale

Bret4207
05-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Take some of the steel wool to the barrel innards with some Hoppes, ATF, etc. Get rid of the crap thats in there. Are you going to convert to center fire? It's well worth it.

madcaster
05-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Great find!Cleaned up great as well.
You know,seems like a lightweight rifle like this makes a great survival gun,supposing of course!
Time for a new thread on this board....

imashooter2
05-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Take some of the steel wool to the barrel innards with some Hoppes, ATF, etc. Get rid of the crap thats in there. Are you going to convert to center fire? It's well worth it.

I did wrap a bit of the steel wool onto an old bore brush and have at the barrel with it. It's clean, but it's also clear it must have had quite a bit of corrosive .22 shot through it before it was placed in the joists to rust for 60+ years. The rifling is no more than a trace. Headspace is good though and the breech block is tight. I'm going to have to shoot it just to say I did.

As for a centerfire conversion... I don't have anything in the pictures for scale, but the barrel is diameter .5 at the muzzle and .75 at the breech with a chamfer cut to .65 or so for the breech face. It weighs 3.5 pounds and I really doubt the stock could hold up to the recoil of a stout .38 Special. Nah, I just can't see it.

imashooter2
05-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Great find!Cleaned up great as well.
You know,seems like a lightweight rifle like this makes a great survival gun,supposing of course!
Time for a new thread on this board....

At 3.5 pounds and with a take down screw that lets you break it into a 20 inch package pretty quickly, a rifle like this would be good to put in your backpack for filling the pot and plinking...

Bret4207
05-14-2007, 01:59 PM
My mistake. I was thinking it was a 32RF like mine.

imashooter2
05-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Well, I got it to the range today... Started with a CB cap, then a long, then a long rifle, one handed into the dirt just to make sure it wouldn't blow up.

Then I put it to my shoulder and shot about 20 each longs and long rifle at the 75 yard gongs. Not a single hit.

OK, let me just put up a target and see where it's hitting... Put up an 8.5 x 11 target at the 50 foot line. Fired 5 longs and 5 long rifles. Nothing.

Put up 4 targets touching. Shot at the center. Nothing. Shot at the left, right, top and bottom edges. Nothing. Shot at the corners. It shoots 15 inches right and 20 inches high at 50 feet and every hit is key holed.

I wasn't expecting to win the Olympics with this thing, but DAMN! That's bad...

Oh well. I didn't exactly spend the little girl's college fund on it...

Bret4207
05-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Reline the barrel. Shouldn't run over $75.00 or so.

imashooter2
05-14-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm sure a reline would do the job, but that's $75 too much to spend on this rifle... It was fun to clean it up. Now it'll be a wall hanger.

RayinNH
05-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Just look how much your saving on targets...Ray:kidding:

imashooter2
05-15-2007, 08:20 AM
I have to admit, it is very economical of paper. Not the sort of attribute I usually look for in a rifle, but it is a strong point.

You should have seen me at the range. Shoot a couple of shots, pick up the binoculars and peer at the targets, shake my head, put 'em down and shoot a couple more shots. There were 3 other guys there. They each had a high end target rifle with fully adjustable stock and what appeared to be the Hubble telescope mounted on them. They had a great time picking on the guy with the $5 Remington that couldn't hit the backstop at 50 feet.http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif