PDA

View Full Version : Odd Lyman Mould #375248?

Kraschenbirn
04-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Cast some boolits this afternoon from a used Lyman #375248 that I recently acquired off fleaBay and got some "interesting" results. Now, my Lyman Cast Bullets Handbook shows that the #375248 drops boolits of 249 gr. from #2 Alloy which should, from my experience, yield PB boolits should running slightly heavier...say between 3%-4%. Not this one, though. Casting from the same 25-1 mix I use for my BP 45-70s, this mould drops boolits of around 245 gr.

I say "around" because boolits from one cavity run 7/10 gr heavier than the other...244.5 gr average (SD .2 gr after culling for visible defects) and 245.2 gr. average (also .2 gr SD) from the other.

At first, I thought it might've been something I was doing so I ran off 25 casts filling the front cavity first and then the rear. Then, I ran another 25 casts reversing the process. Absolutely no difference in the dropped weights!! Also tried casting a few at a slightly higher temp...same results.

Boolits from both cavities measure .379-3795 and appear fully filled-out with sharp edges on lube grooves and base: sprue plate is flat and fits flush across top of blocks, and the blocks, themselves also appears flat and true. (Haven't got a surface plate to actually measure "flatness" but using a machinist's rule and the ol' MK 1 eyeball, they look good to me.) And, before anyone asks, I DID verify my scale calibration using check weights.

Anybody else ever run across something like this?

Bill

Jon K
04-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Krasch,

It is luck of the draw, I have had them vary more than .7, and in a bigger boolit, I have had one where the cavities varied almost 1.5 grains different.

I'll say this though, if you're unhappy with that mold, I'll buy it from you. I had one that cast .379-.3795, and sold it. The last 2 #375248 molds I bought cast .377.

Jon
:castmine:

joeb33050
04-16-2007, 07:20 AM
I mark a cavity in all DC molds so I can tell the bullets apart. ALL DC molds cast bullets with 2 different weights, and I think that one cavity casts bullets that shoot better than the other.
joe brennan