PDA

View Full Version : Need Help IDing a Firearm

Rick N Bama
05-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Can any of you guys tell me what this firearm is? I think it's a shotgun, but right now I can't confirm that as I've not had eyes on the gun myself.

A friend of my wife sent the pics to me hoping that I could perhaps put a value on the gun.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp92/Ricknbama/Shooting/003_1.jpg

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp92/Ricknbama/Shooting/004_1.jpg

Thanks guys!

Rick

Wayne Smith
05-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Any markings at all survive? Awful hard to put a value on it with out seeing in in 3D, being able to disassemble and look for markings.

Rick N Bama
05-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Wayne I've not been told of any markings at all & right now I doubt that I'll be able to get much more in the way of info from her, at least not for a week or so.

I won't even attempt to place a value on the gun myself, mainly I'm just curious to find out what it is.

Rick

excess650
05-17-2012, 08:03 AM
I think its a Hopkins and Allen falling block shotgun. They made several different action sizes for rifles and shotguns. That appears to be the big action.

Buyin' or sellin' has different perspectives on value, and condition is going to be a big factor. It appears that the stock has been repaired, and its difficult to see how well. There doesn't appear to be any original finish left, so not much collector value. Given the age and dubious quality of material at that time, they aren't particularly strong. How much would you want to pay for a wallhanger?

Rick N Bama
05-17-2012, 08:41 AM
I think its a Hopkins and Allen falling block shotgun. They made several different action sizes for rifles and shotguns. That appears to be the big action.

Thanks, it appears that is exactly what it is. I've just found one like it at Gunbroker in a lot better condition! I think the value of this example is very low at best.

Rick

KCSO
05-17-2012, 08:51 AM
That is a Hopkins and Allen falling block shotgun sold by Monkey Wards and others and is in their 1897 catalog. Original price was about $4.50 if I remember right. I will try and copy the page and the original ad.

KCSO
05-17-2012, 08:52 AM
My friend has one and we shoot it with black powder loads after i tightend it up and put in a new firing pin.

Y2K
05-17-2012, 10:24 AM
KCSO, from what I can tell there isn't very many guns you don't or haven't shot. PS, my ex-boss is thrilled with his GEHA.