PDA

View Full Version : so, ya own a Dillon 550b and want a powder check...

wymanwinn
05-16-2012, 08:33 PM
well, i have instructions for adding a Dillon 650 powder check to a 550b....and it works GREAT....

pm me with your email address and i will send them to ya....pretty dang easy and reliable...

wyman

MtGun44
05-16-2012, 10:01 PM
I assume you have to give up a station. Is that correct?

Now THAT is a hat!

Bill

wymanwinn
05-17-2012, 10:28 AM
I assume you have to give up a station. Is that correct?

Now THAT is a hat!

Bill

actually no...with the preferred Dillon reloading setup you would seat the bullet in one station/die and crimp at the last station....

with this setup the seating station is used for the powder check requiring a combo seat/crimp die...i have been using RCBS combo dies for the last 10 years or so anyway....of course this is for pistol loads...my rifle loads are ALL loaded on my rockchucker...the old fashioned way...

wyman

Colorado4wheel
05-17-2012, 12:45 PM
That is what is meant by loosing a station. You loose the dedicated seating station and now have to seat and crimp at the same time.

MGySgt
05-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Every double charge or no charge except for one instance was operator error.

Double charge - pulled the handle part way down and then had to check something (powder already dropped) Called double clutching it. - Yes I have done it but I know to check/take the case out of the station and dump it back into the powder resevoir.

No powder - station was turned too far - skipped the powder. With cast and having to flair the case mouth in the charge die - boolit won't start in the seating die.

Only case I know where it wasn't operator error was one Powder through Die had too small of a hole and the powder would bridge - Another Powder Through die in the same shippment didn't have a hole in it! Both were for a 44. Dillion was VERY appoligectick about both of them and overnighted the replacements. Wasn't me - but a shooting partner of mine.

No press or reloading equipment is fool proof (read that as idiot proof) - Pay attention to what you are doing and you will not have any issues.

When I setup a new powder die, I first look throught it to ensure it has a hole :) and that it appears to be large enough so the powder doesn't bridge.

I don't use stick powder in my Dillon - That bridges enough in my regular funnel.

Don't let distractions get you - keep distractions out of the room - if SWMBO walks into the room - STOP what you are doing and look at her - when she leaves than go back to what you were doing - If loading on my 550b - I pull the case from the powder station and check to see if it has powder in it. - Yea I know I can look at the next station, seating, if there is a boolit in the case than I must have powder - no boolit I haven't seated one or dropped powder - Could be wrong. Did you work the handle when she or what ever the distraction was without a boolit in the seating station? Only way to tell for certain is check the casing in the powder station.

You can't go along on auto pilot and expect to turn out good rounds. Pay attention to what you are doing.

I have gone into run the Dillion and after a few pulls of the handle my mind starts to wonder - I stop, dump the powder out and leave the reloading room.

Works for me - no KBOOMS.

pastor
05-18-2012, 12:58 AM
i use a powder check

#1 deprime / prime

#2 powder charge / flare case

#3 RCBS lock-out die

#4 seat / crimp

dies are all RCBS

works great!

geargnasher
05-18-2012, 01:20 AM
I use a powder checker too, it's called a Streamlight flashlight. Only Kaboom I've ever had was a 1911 with loose boolits, recoil seated the boolits way too deep under recoil, raising pressure dramatically. Danged Kimber fed and fired one even though the boolit was flush with the case mouth (I assume flush, the three under it in the mag were flush when I dug them out of the ground from between my feet where I was standing).

Gear

btroj
05-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Like was said, I use my eyeballs and head to keep me out of trouble.
If I get interrupted or need to check something I pull cases that had powder and verify that the charge is correct. If in doubt the powder is dumped back into the measure and that case is set aside to be finished later.

The single greatest piece of safety gear resides between your ears.

MtGun44
05-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks - I don't want to give up a station. I've been doing it this way since 1982, I
think I'll stick with it. I double charged a case back in '83 and never done one since.
Knock on wood.

Bill

knifemaker
05-21-2012, 12:12 AM
I use a goose neck lamp that is bent to shine on the powder loading area and can see the powder for a double or no powder as I rotate the carrier. I do not have to stand up either as I use a bar stool that gets me high enough to look into the case.

sleeper1428
05-21-2012, 05:45 PM
A few months ago I stumbled onto a great solution to the problem of assuring that each case has gotten a powder charge. Check out the LED lighting systems at the following website:

http://www.inlinefabrication.com/LED_LIGHTING_SYSTEMS.html

For under $30 I now have a 6 LED lighting strip attached to the inside of the front vertical support on my 550B and the brilliant white light that now floods the entire loading platform makes it easy to visually assure myself that each and every case has had a charge of powder dropped at station #2, the belling and charging station on the 550B. No need to keep batteries around for battery operated lighting systems and no need to lose the advantages of separate seating and crimping stations.

By the way, I have no financial interest in this lighting system. I just happened to stumble on it while searching for Dillon accessories. It's been such a help, especially in the case of my 74 year old eyes, that I've even called Dillon to suggest that they might want to see if they could carry this lighting system on their site.

sleeper1428

bobby65
08-09-2014, 02:23 AM
Pm sent

MrWolf
08-09-2014, 11:31 AM
I also use inlines skylight and another light to make sure each load has the proper level of powder as I prefer to seat and crimp in separate stations.

jmorris
08-10-2014, 09:56 AM
If you don't mind loosing the ability to seat and crimp in two different steps it's easy. All you need is a hole for the push rod.

wymanwinn
08-10-2014, 10:02 AM
If you don't mind loosing the ability to seat and crimp in two different steps it's easy. All you need is a hole for the push rod.

my instruction tell how to cut a slot not a hole in the die head.....and yes, one would loose the ability to seat and crimp in two steps....

brody
08-19-2014, 04:27 PM
I've got an extra Dillon powder checker so I would like the instructions.
Thanks
Jim

EddieNFL
08-19-2014, 07:44 PM
I prefer using my eyeballs, as well. Nothing wrong with powder checks, as a redundant backup, but batteries die and mechanical devices fail.

If loading on my 550b - I pull the case from the powder station and check to see if it has powder in it. - Yea I know I can look at the next station, seating, if there is a boolit in the case than I must have powder - no boolit I haven't seated one or dropped powder - Could be wrong. Did you work the handle when she or what ever the distraction was without a boolit in the seating station? Only way to tell for certain is check the casing in the powder station.

Stop with the handle down/ram up. No doubt where you are.

John Boy
08-19-2014, 08:07 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Casting/DillonLight_zps8e1ef2b4.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/user/Meadowmucker/media/Casting/DillonLight_zps8e1ef2b4.jpg.html) Check your Harbor Freight Coupons ... It was Free!

wymanwinn
08-19-2014, 09:12 PM
to be clear here....i have had ZERO, Zip, nadda a problem with 10 Dillon die sets on my own with the 650 powder check....AND i have never (not to say that i might in the future) had a squib using the 650 powder check.....and i have yet to change a battery.....changed a few on the primer warning gizmo though...

i have sent the instructions to well over 100 folks, mostly Cowboy Action Shooters (notorious for squibs) and have received nothing but rave reviews....

wyman

W.R.Buchanan
08-20-2014, 12:11 AM
Wyman: Where is a "Good" place to eat in Solvang? We go there often. Like to hear from a local on this subject.

Our attempts in town have all resulted in disappointment. I know there has to be someplace good where the locals eat.

Randy

dudel
08-20-2014, 07:53 AM
You don't trust a mechanical device (powder measure), so you back it up with another mechanical device (powder check die)?

Sorry, I'll just stick to eyeballs. Haven't failed me yet. I won't replace care with more equipment.

So your powder check tells you have the right charge, what checks that you have the right powder, or proper case tension, or correct OAL? Eyeballs.

However, if a powder check die works for you, carry on. I'd rather seat and crimp in two steps. I could get a 650; but I've been doing this for close to 30 years and have not felt the urge for a powder check die, so 4 stations is enough for me.

jmorris
08-20-2014, 10:23 AM
You don't trust a mechanical device (powder measure), so you back it up with another mechanical device (powder check die)?

The 1050 has a ratchet that will not allow the operator to short stroke, and auto indexes, so the user cannot short stroke and cause a squib or double. Yet another mechanical device. With each step you gain safety or reduce the chance for a mistake to occur.

Kind of like, why do you need seatbelts and an airbag or "emergency" brakes?

Hopefully you never need them but they are there in case you do.

wymanwinn
08-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Randy,

you are right....lots of disappointing eateries in Solvang proper....BUT there is hope...

Firestone-Walker Tap Room in Buellton
Hitching Post in Buellton
Brothers at the Red Barn in Santa Ynez
Trattoria Grappolo in Santa Ynez

are all personally tested and approved....

hope this helps...

wyman

W.R.Buchanan
08-21-2014, 03:39 AM
Thanks Wyman we'll try the Firestone place next time as the Hitching Post is only open for dinner.

Randy