PDA

View Full Version : I fired my first buckshot reloads today. Results inside.

Ole
05-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Went to a local indoor range with my 18.5" NEI Pardner pump today.

Fired a few targets for pattern quality. Best part is they all went bang and I didn't blow anything up. [smilie=p:

First load was 8x #00 buck and 19 grains of Green dot. Fired one target at 15 feet and the other at 20 feet. Here are the results:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/Homemade%20buckshot/00buck.jpg

Second load was 15x #1 buck and 27 grains of SR4756. Same distances (15 and 20 feet).

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/Homemade%20buckshot/1buck.jpg

Third load was 27x #4 buck and 27 grains of SR4756. Same distances.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/Homemade%20buckshot/4buck.jpg

Final target pictured is a Fiochi factory #4 buckshot load and a #4 buckshot load assembled in a Fiocci hull (previous 2 were in AA hulls).

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/Homemade%20buckshot/4buckFiocchi.jpg

I was holding at the lower quarter of the target on all the loads because they have a piece of cardboard above the target and there's a sticker on it that says if you damage it they will charge you to replace it. Not knowing how much spread my buckshot loads would give me I erred on the safe side and held at the lower quadrant of the target. The target damage rule was the main reason I didn't fire at anything further than 20 feet.

I completely realize this is not a hunting gun. I never checked it, but it's supposed to have a cylinder bore choke if it matters. I just bought it for home defense and to blast stuff in the desert. If I had to hit something with it past 30 yards, I'd probably load a slug or grab a different gun. :mrgreen:

Anything I should be concerned about here?

6pt-sika
05-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Cool !

I've been loading my own 10 gauge 2 7/8" buck loads for a couple years now and even killed a deer with them two seasons ago !

Last season I made a 16 gauge buck load with #1 buck for use in a couple drillings and three SxS's !

Hopefully I'll be able to knock over a deer with one or more of the 16 gauge guns this coming season !

I shoot all my patterns at 25 yards , I assume since you shoot alot closer you're making these for defense loads ?

Ole
05-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Cool !

I shoot all my patterns at 25 yards , I assume since you shoot alot closer you're making these for defense loads ?

Yeah these are pretty much for blasting stuff up close. Someone on this forum mentioned rock quarry warrior or something to that effect. I used to do a lot of that kind of shooting with shotguns when I was a youngin'. I use factory stuff for HD.

I have always thought reloading for shotguns was kind of silly when you can buy shells for $4/box at walmart. Trouble is they are $6/box now and since I can cast my own buckshot, that changes the math a little. [smilie=s:

Plus blasting stuff with shotguns always brings a big smile! :mrgreen:

6pt-sika
05-17-2012, 10:44 AM
I have always thought reloading for shotguns was kind of silly when you can buy shells for $4/box at walmart. Trouble is they are $6/box now and since I can cast my own buckshot, that changes the math a little. [smilie=s:

I started in the whole reloading thing loading the four gauges for skeet and trap ! Also loaded my own for bird hunting at the time .

Now I don't shoot competitively anylonger so I load for what I need thats not available . 10 gauge 2 7/8" shells are only available from RST and rather expensive . And the 16 gauge I initially loaded the buck for is damascus so i wanted a low pressure load . That load shot nicely in the old Parker and does well in the others I tried it for as well . Hence my criteria !

DevilDog83
05-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the post. I've been thinking about getting the Lee mold for buckshot and a cheapo Lee single stage shotgun press for 12 guage buckshot loads for 3 gun practice, matches if they shoot well. Any and all advice is welcome, I've been rifle/pistol reloading and casting for 25+ years, but never a single shotgun round. Thanks guys, John