PDA

View Full Version : looking for help w/ an ROA project

greenmntranger
05-16-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm working with a local smith on a short barreled birdshead ROA project and we are running into a snag. The plan is to shorten the barrel to 3.75 inches. The problem is the load lever assembly.
My smith has observed that by cutting back the barrel, and shortening the load lever, we will loose all practical use of the lever to load the gun. As I new this going into this project, I assured him this is not a concern. The second problem would be that by shortening the load lever, you would either have to loose the detent at the front end it modify the linkage at the back end. My smith is afraid that either option would compromise the linkages ability to secure the cylinder pin

In conversation, we brainstormed 2 possible solutions.

1. First is to dismount the barrel and cut it from the threaded end, rethread, and go from there (I have an extra load lever assembly to work with)

2. Second is to cut out the middle portion of the load lever assembly as it would be more for looks and for securing the cylinder pin and not load bearing...for loading

Thoughts, and suggestions would be welcome

Dan Cash
05-16-2012, 07:46 PM
The loading lever has nothing to do with securing the cylinder base pin. That is secured by the excentric take down "screw." Carry the lever and rammer in your pocket and shoot the gun with out them if that is what you really want to do.

I don't know how much experience you have with bird head grip revolvers but as an owner of a bird head 1873 Colt clone it is, to me, the most useless trick a pony ever learned. The gun becomes hard to control in deflection and elevation without the flat bottom of the griip for your pinkie and is like gripping a pullet egg. Were it not a gift to me, I would be shut of it.
just my opinion.
Dan

subsonic
05-16-2012, 11:21 PM
If the loading lever is useless, just chuck it and load the cylinder out of the gun with a press. Either make a new base pin, or modify the existing one, or just unhook the loading lever and leave it off. Problem solved.