PDA

View Full Version : New member

nimrod
04-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Hello,new member here. I have never cast my own but am planning to start. I've been looking at the Lyman Master Casting Kit. It comes with a furnace that can melt 10 lbs. of lead, a 4500 lube sizer,lead dipper, ingot mold, and a cast bullet handbook. Anyone have any experince with this kit? I figured I would go this route first and see how I liked it . Anyone have a better way to go? I have a lot of questions that I won't ask all at once. I've been reading Lymans pistol and revolver handbook,it has a section in it on casting, and even has quite a few loads for cast boolits. Any help would be appriciated. thanks... Joe

44man
04-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Might be OK but I would buy a Lee 20# pot, A Lyman ladle and the mold you need. Lyman has a good ingot mold too.
The sizer is nice but not needed if you don't use gas checks. The Lee size die is cheaper. WAY cheaper. Use Felix lube and force it into the grooves with your fingers and push through a Lee die to remove the excess lube.

targetshootr
04-15-2007, 05:19 PM
If you find a deal on used furnace, preferably a 20 lb, the maker will probably rebuild it if it ever conks out. I bought all used equipment and saved a bunch.

macvcallsign
04-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Your choice of the LYMAN KIT sounds fine, it has what you need to get started and you will want a good sizer at some point anyway and the 4500 is a good one.
You can always go to a larger pot down the road. The 10 pounder can always be used for a backup or for a different mix. When I started 35 yrs ago I got one of those new fangled Lee Production Pots with the bottom spout. Worked good for 4-5 years before I got something fancier!
Remember to read all the instructions and especially the cautions and warnings. Start slow and you'll catch on in no time...ENJOY...!!!