PDA

View Full Version : Tumble Lube, Lee Sizer, and Gas Checks

rjathon
05-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Is this a reasonable thing to do:

1) Tumble lube with Recluse's 45/45/10 formula

2) Seat gas check and size with Lee sizer

3) Tumble lube again

I wonder if it is ok to tumble lube once before seating the gas check. If not, what is a better work flow?

Thanks,

Russ

slim1836
05-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Looks fine to me, just go lightly on the lube before and after sizing.

Slim

edsmith
05-16-2012, 09:07 PM
I tumble lube then seat the check then crimp the check and size the boolit all in one operation,I seat the check with the press, then turn the turrant one notch then crimp and size the check and boolit. I find that seating the check with the press it is seated all the way and is hard to get off even before crimping. I use a lee turrant press.

Montana Ron
05-16-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm done with tumble lube...........just a sticky bloody mess........lube sticks to seating punch resulting is various seating depths then take the die apart,clean then set it all back up only to
do it all over again in a half hour or so and the exposed lube all over everything picks up dirt to create a new set of problems..........a lot of wasted time trying to keep everything clean as it should be while reloading......................................

MBTcustom
05-16-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm done with tumble lube...........just a sticky bloody mess........lube sticks to seating punch resulting is various seating depths then take the die apart,clean then set it all back up only to
do it all over again in a half hour or so and the exposed lube all over everything picks up dirt to create a new set of problems..........a lot of wasted time trying to keep everything clean as it should be while reloading......................................
Sounds like you have been using LLA. 45/45/10 is a horse of a different color.
I TL all my boolits as a matter of course. If they are going to be used at less than 1200fps, then I just TL and load. If they are going between 1200 and 1800 fps I TL, seat a GC, then TL again. If they are going 1800fps+ I TL, seat a GC, then pan lube, then load. TL is a staple on my bench because it is a great sizing lube that needs not be washed off before moving on to the next step.

handyman25
05-17-2012, 01:10 PM
I am confused. Recluses 45/45/10 and LLA 45/45/10 are different? Goodsteel what do you tumble lube with?

I use the LLA 45/45/10 in my cowboy action shooting and have no problems. Yes if I put too much on then I get build up in the bullet seater. The only down side is that my guns get a little dirter than using a commerical moly type lube bullet. I know sereral of the fast cowboy shooters that like the commerical moly type lube bullet because it is cleaner, but they only clean their guns once a year or when they start jaming. My military training is still with me I clean my weapons after every time I use them.

DrBill33
05-17-2012, 03:44 PM
I lube with ALOX (not from LEE), check/size in a LEE sizer, and re LUBE. I do not use the "tumble" type bullets....I use the standard. Works fine for me.

Best of Luck.

rjathon
05-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks so much for all of the great info.

Russ

MBTcustom
05-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I tumble lube with 45/45/10.
45/45/10 is a recipe that Recluse bestowed upon us. LLA is a component of 45/45/10. LLA as it comes from Lee is a sticky gooey mess. It works pretty well as a boolit lube but it gets all over everything and gums up the works because cases do not need to be lubed!
By cooling it down, and adding JPW and mineral spirits, you get a much more user friendly substance that we lovingly refer to as 45/45/10.
Lee does not make a substance called 45/45/10. They make Lee Liquid Alox. You have to modify it to make it into 45/45/10. Savvy?

monge
05-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Its all I do and use slug your barrels and you can hone the lee sizers if need be. i have had great results simple and very accurate! Cast on ! JOE