PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to use gas checks.....

lead_her_fly
04-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Howdy,
I'm new to this thing an recently bought a Lee 6 cavity mold. It is for 38/357 158 gr. SWC.

Of course being new I didn't notice that it throws boolits (to use the forum's proper spelling) that are designed to have a gas check. I am not driving these over 900 fps. as I am reloading for PPC shooting.
I don't/haven't been using any gas checks and they seem to be doing fine. One of you much wiser sages needs to give this newbee some advice!
Thanks in advance!
Skip

Wayne Smith
04-15-2007, 04:39 PM
If they are doing fine, what advice do you need? Every gun is unique and you really don't know about yours until you try!

44man
04-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Some boolits shoot just fine without them, some need the drive band length for stability depending on the rifling twist. If they shoot good just use them.

versifier
04-15-2007, 10:27 PM
You may find they help when you up the velocity for hunting loads, etc, but if it works, why fix it? The little buggars get expensive when you do a lot of shooting, if they work fine without them, you are a lucky man.

Buckshot
04-16-2007, 02:02 AM
..................A hearty welcome to the board! You've discovered a serendipity that sometimes occurs. Don't dwell or question it too closely or it will evaporate before your eyes. Just pretend it's normal :-)

...............Buckshot