PDA

View Full Version : zinc, holy ****!

Lloyd Smale
05-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Ive been pretty well set on wws for about a year and havent been chasing any. I went to my buddys garage to talk to him and he said he had a full pail in the back saved for me. When he said full he meant full. It was heap over and took two of us to get into the back of the truck. I smelted them yesterday and was blown away by how much zinc was in it. Last time i smelted and like i said it was about a year ago. I did 6 buckets and was getting maybe a dozen zinc weights per bucket. this bucket had about 10 percent zinc. I had a pile of at least 10lbs of zinc wws both stick on and clip on. even some steal ones in the mix and it was the first time ive seen those. Looks like the days of wws are numbered not only in CA but here too.

imashooter2
05-16-2012, 07:15 AM
Around here the take is under 50% lead and the rest steel with a few zinc. It isn't going to be getting any better either...

Defcon-One
05-16-2012, 08:49 AM
I get about 8-10% Zinc, only 4-5% Steel! It seems pretty steady and repeatable.

41 mag fan
05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Looks like the days of wws are numbered not only in CA but here too.

I say vote all politicians out and vote in nothing but pro gun, pro lead common sense politicians.

I'd even run for president!! At least I know how to balance a budget and make ends meet, and how to pay back a debt.

My foriegn policy is this....You mess with us, we will come and genetically annihilate you, your family and your country.
You want our help...your going to pay 100% of all costs, up front.
You entered this country illegally...your family can come pick up your body.

Domestic policy....
2 yrs welfare...then your on your own. Better get a job.
No gun laws that hinder the law abiding citizen.
30 day appeal after conviction of a "no doubt" trial... you molested, raped murdered or used a gun in a crime...31 days you get tortured then burned alive for comitting your crime, in public.

Everyone pays and noone gets 100% tax refund, and then some.
U.S. dollar will be gold backed again.

:bigsmyl2:

Vote for me in 2012!!

AndyC
05-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Man, you sure got my vote!

Oh, wait - can't vote yet - only a Green Card, not yet a citizen.

odfairfaxsub
05-16-2012, 04:11 PM
44 mag sounds decent in someway shape or form. i hope i don't get accused to raping my wife when she becomes multi personallity

popper
05-16-2012, 04:15 PM
AndyC - what difference does that make? You should get to vote as many times as you want.

runfiverun
05-16-2012, 04:26 PM
he lives in texas not illinois.

i got a bunch of steel in one bucket i done yesterday but not in the other two, i was a bit perplexed, it was remnants from buckets collected in the 90's.

Freightman
05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
There has been grave yard votes in Texas also Johnson was elected the first time on grave yard votes.

AndyC
05-18-2012, 03:08 PM
he lives in texas not illinois.

lmao!

KaliforniaRebel
05-19-2012, 01:01 PM
At least you can get it. CA started the whole Zinc/ceramic/whatever WW thing over 2 years ago so at this point finding a lead weight is a rarity.

The local shops give every excuse in the book why they can't let it go and even the local junkyards are drying up. I'm melting more battery terminals then weights at this point.

40Super
05-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Out of 4 buckets of ww here, I've only had about 4 zinc ww total. About 10lbs "FE" though.

I'm voting for 41MAG fan this fall!!!!!

A few suggestions:
Why 2 yrs welfare? 4 or 5 months is more than enough.
Employing someone with no greencard or citizen ship? 500%tax increase ,no write offs either.
All politions $100,000 max cap on income based on actual hourly working wage, anymore, your fired and in jail !

I better stop:bootgive:

geargnasher
05-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Politicians should work for minium wage and health insurance, like most Americans. Performance bonuses and COL increases would be permitted by vote of their representatives. Getting to live in the White House and having an armed personal security detail/transportation at the Taxpayer's expense should be enough of a perk for the position of prez.

Gear

badbob454
05-20-2012, 02:11 AM
in ca i have 2, 5 gal buckets full of zinc, 4 buckets of lead coww's,3 buckets of fe or steel ,and 1/2 bucket of stick on soft lead and i/2 bucket of this wierd rubber stick on with powdered iron or something in it , dont bother melting it, it aint lead , but lately im getting only @ 10% clipon wheelweight lead , getting scarce as hens teeth , , got lots more to sort so im good , also most of the metal recyclers here are willing to sell lead to me for @ 1.00 per pound mostly soft stuff , so try yours they may sell to you , but i have enough for me

bobthenailer
05-20-2012, 07:51 AM
2 years ago i smelted about 1300 lbs of WW material , i have a full 5 gallon bucket plus a almost full 2 1/2 gallon bucket of pre sorted zinc & steel weights , not counting what i missed in the presort and it went into the pot to smelt . i kept the temp around 600 degrees and the rest floated to the top of the smelt for removal .
I decided i would no longer buy used wheel weights unless they were older stock WW to smelt ,
and just mine the lead from the shooting range , ive gotten a little over 200 lbs so far this year of 80% lead bullets & 20% jacketed

fredj338
05-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I warned everyone two years ago when Kalif went greenstupid. Eventually the lead ww will be gone, sooner than later. So get what you can & stack it deep. For me now it's mostly berm mining or buying from the guys here.
The election coming up is important. Like ROmney or not, vote for him. Obama has suprpased Carter as the worst pres in my lifetime based on his appointments alone! Let's not give him another 4yrs to EO us into permanent servitude. Vote, vote often, vote Rep whether you are libertarian, green or whatever.

Silver Eagle
05-21-2012, 05:14 AM
I would start being real careful with mined range berms and indoor range scrap. With the higher use of "green" ammo (especially in California), you might find your self getting a lot of "mystery metal" out of those berms and backstops.
Not sure of the metals in the "green" ammo but most assuredly it is not lead! Pretty sure others could chime in on their makeup.

Silver Eagle

fredj338
05-21-2012, 03:42 PM
I agree, why I normaly cull out anything that looks plated. I get mostly 230grFMJ, 22lr & any other obvious cast bullets.