PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 77360?

JAn N
05-14-2012, 02:16 PM
I am new here and first i would like to apologize for my poor knowledge of the English language.
I will do my best, but forgive me if i write a lot of mistakes.

I started casting about a year ago.
I needed some projectiles for my airguns in .356, .357 and .454 so i dicided to start casting them myself.

I bought some moulds and a melting pot and had a lot of fun casting and shooting my self-cast bullits and roundballs.

But now the question:
I bought a Lyman mould (new in an old box) with marking 360- and 79 and G1 on the mould and 360 RB on the box, but i can find no information on the internet about this mold.
It was advertised " lyman number 77360" but i can't find this number anywhere else.
Is it a mistake?

Kind regards,

JAn N

beagle
05-14-2012, 03:20 PM
If it's a round ball, the 360 is probably the diameter. The 79 is probably on both sides and is the block number assigned by Lyman to keep blocks matched during manufacturing. G1 is probably the number assigned to the cherry used for that mould and has very little significance for us casters.

Hope this helps.

By the way, welcome to the site./beagle

JAn N
05-15-2012, 04:01 AM
If it's a round ball, the 360 is probably the diameter. The 79 is probably on both sides and is the block number assigned by Lyman to keep blocks matched during manufacturing. G1 is probably the number assigned to the cherry used for that mould and has very little significance for us casters.

Hope this helps.

By the way, welcome to the site./beagle

Thank you for the info.
It is a (double cavity) round ball mould, but I was more interested in the number; 77360.
I can't find any info about this number and I can't find info about Lyman making a .360 ball mould.
If I search Ol' Buffalo Bullet Mold Tables, there is no .360 ball mould.
http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm
Is that a complete list?

I wonder if it is a "custom" or a "rare" mould.

I like to know what molds are special ;)
For example, I found two Lyman 225107 moulds in Germany, boxed and factory wrapped. :D
I don't use them (yet), but I bought them because they are special an "rare".

Kind regards,

JAn N

beagle
05-15-2012, 09:18 PM
The round balls were not listed seperately. Lyman furnished a list and you ordered by diameter. When Ideal was running the show, you could purchase almost any diameter from .250" on up in .001" increments. Lyman cut the list down drastically and onlt offered the more popular sizes.

The .360" makes great 2 ball loads for the .38 Special or .357 Magnum. I load several boxes every year during snake season./beagle

JAn N
05-16-2012, 03:59 AM
The round balls were not listed seperately. Lyman furnished a list and you ordered by diameter. When Ideal was running the show, you could purchase almost any diameter from .250" on up in .001" increments. Lyman cut the list down drastically and onlt offered the more popular sizes.

The .360" makes great 2 ball loads for the .38 Special or .357 Magnum. I load several boxes every year during snake season./beagle

Many thanks for the info!!!!

I plan to shoot the balls in my shinsung 201 fire 9mm air rifle.
I used to shoot .360 Hornady round balls ( They fly at 1050fps), but they are no longer available over here.
So I am happy that I can cast them myself.

Kind regards,

JAn N

captaint
05-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the neighborhood JAn. Lots of great folks here. Your English, by the way, is better than many of our friends - who grew up here. enjoy Mike

beagle
05-17-2012, 08:56 AM
My shooting partner and I had excellent results in a 9mm air rifle with the Lyman 356242 (90 grain version) cast soft and lubed. You might have to size the .360 balls in a .356" sizer to get them to chamber but your project is well worth following up on./beagle

JAn N
05-18-2012, 08:25 AM
My shooting partner and I had excellent results in a 9mm air rifle with the Lyman 356242 (90 grain version) cast soft and lubed. You might have to size the .360 balls in a .356" sizer to get them to chamber but your project is well worth following up on./beagle

I have the lyman 358242 in 92 grain and they work ok, but nothing spectacular.
I size them to .357

I have a Hensley & Gibbs 10 cav. mould with numbers 115 and .3555 wich casts 125 grain Luger style bullets and they are very good, but i can't shoot them in both my 9mm air rifles.
I own a Shin Sung Career 707 and a 201.
The 707 only takes the balls and the 242's because the mag won't accomodate longer boolits. The 201 takes short and long boolits. It has more power too.

My favourite mould is a .36 maxi ball mould (no brand on it) 125 grain and i can get hole in hole accuracy at 55 yards but the maxi balls are a lot of work to size: I get a rim of lead wich I have to remove one boolit at a time.
If i could find a four cav. .357 maxi ball mould, that would be heaven.

The .360 balls don't need sizing. They are oversize, but that's ok.
What air rifle do you shoot?
And what lube do you use?

Kind regards,

JAn N