PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt Smackdown!

TXGunNut
05-13-2012, 11:34 PM
I and a friend slipped over to a falling plate rack today with a couple of Bird's Head Colt replicas loaded with BP 45 Colt loads pushing 255 gr boolits and we had a little problem. :shock: Plate rack is designed for the "anemic" 45ACP and I often got "bonus plates". Seldom had to fire more than 5 to knock down all 6. Decent times for liesurely one-handed shooting as well.

NickSS
05-14-2012, 04:18 AM
I lost a duel at a CAS shoot using a 45 colt loaded with black powder and 250 gr slugs. I hit every shot but the plates would swing with such authority that they would bounce back to my side. My opponent with two misses beat me due to this problem. Sometimes the 45 colt has too much power.

smkummer
05-14-2012, 09:22 AM
I plan on using my Colt Buntline loaded with 9 grains unique and the Lyman 255 FP bullet for the next cass shoot. Its 1000 FPS out of that gun and controlable. If they tell me the targets are getting beat to death, I'll then change to cowboy loads. I know I have no chance of being competitive but I will still have fun.

jkpq45
05-14-2012, 10:18 AM
This is intriguing!

TXGunNut, can you post a sketch or something describing this falling-plate setup? I'm not familiar with the concept.

NickSS, same request--dueling plates? Sounds like "a blast!"

Sorry for the n00bness, I'm just getting started in the finer aspects of the hobby and everything sounds like fun.

montana_charlie
05-14-2012, 11:24 AM
This is intriguing!

TXGunNut, can you post a sketch or something describing this falling-plate setup?
Google found this ...
http://mrcompletely.blogspot.com/2007/05/falling-plate-rack-details.html

CM

jkpq45
05-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the search, montana charlie.

They mentioned rimfire in the link--do you s'pose a larger-caliber rifle (or pistol) would not penetrate the steel since it has the ability rotate away from the force?

PanaDP
05-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Unless you have plates made out of a much harder steel, even modest rifle calibers will beat up most of those plate systems pretty quickly.

Good Cheer
05-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Grade 70 steel can crater with a 45 and spit dangerous slivers of lead right back at the shooter. All depends upon the plate yield, thickness, the rigidity of the restraints, the load. Saw my brother get cut on the cheek by a little lead frisbee in the back yard.
Weed eating, mowing, shooting... now I wear glasses for all the household chores.

RMulhern
05-14-2012, 02:10 PM
I'd rather sit and drink FAMOUS GROUSE and watch the grass grow than get involved in CAS! I saw enuff of that in my Roy Rogers and Hoot Gibson days!!

TXGunNut
05-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Grade 70 steel can crater with a 45 and spit dangerous slivers of lead right back at the shooter. All depends upon the plate yield, thickness, the rigidity of the restraints, the load. Saw my brother get cut on the cheek by a little lead frisbee in the back yard.
Weed eating, mowing, shooting... now I wear glasses for all the household chores.

Got dinged pretty good years ago when I was shooting a plate match as a PPC side match, bullet bounced back and grazed my neck on the second plate, missed the next two but got the last two!