PDA

View Full Version : New to me Ruger Old Army

omgb
05-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Well, after looking at them for almost 30 years I finally found one in slightly used condition. SR# says about 1998 or so for the build date. It's stainless and a very well finished gun. This looks to be about the strongest BP pistol I've ever seen. Reminds me of a stainless Blackhawk. I've got an old Navy Arms Rem CB 44 and it can't hold a candle to this one in fit, finish or beef. I can't wait to fire it. Now I think I want a good conical mould...maybe. Any thoughts?

docone31
05-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Stick with Round Balls.
Simpler in the long run.
Sounds like a good find.

451 Pete
05-14-2012, 08:21 AM
OMGB,

The Ruger Old Army uses a .457 round ball and shoots very well with one. A conical bullet will shoot but is not as accurate. You are correct in your assesment of the strength of the gun as it is considered by most as the strongest action ever produced for a black powder revolver. You probably will wonder why you took so long to buy one after you shoot yours a bit.

Pete

omgb
05-14-2012, 09:33 PM
I actually got this gun for ..... $355 If you check out Auction Arms and Gunbroker you'll see this was a pretty fair deal. I use my BP stuff for the boy scout camps each year so.... I'm gonna write it off too.

Alan
05-19-2012, 04:56 AM
I happened on an adjustable stainless gun that had a new unfired blued cylinder. The bore looked like 40 miles of bad road. For $330 I took a chance. Got it home and ran a wet brush down the barrel, and all the "corrosion" was lead oxide. Barrel was bright and shiny. I'm wondering if someone shot it, didn't clean it, let it frost up, and just tossed the original cylinder. Or maybe the nipples were stuck.

Anyway, it will cut one ragged hole at 20 yards, w/ just about any load of .457" RB, felt wad and 2F Goex I cared to try. All the way up to 45 Gr. or so. (by my volume measure)

Was in Cablela's a few months back and they had an unfired NIB w/ al paperwork 7 1/2" adjustable sight model for $400. I just about threw my arm out reaching for my wallet.

When they came out, Ruger attempted to test one to destruction. He couldn't. With smokeless. Estimated chamber pressure was something like 60,000 PSI. Due to gas leakage alone, the gun was not safe to shoot, but it didn't blow up. Do note that if you act in any way upon this information, you are an idiot.

tacklebury
05-21-2012, 08:19 PM
I like the .457 RB's so far for plinking, but I like the 255 gr. RNFP with 35 gr. GOEX fffg for hunting. Very accurate and a lot more authority (100 gr. heavier) for putting down bigger game. ;)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-O0uJDZ7neOs/T1VXncvIjcI/AAAAAAAAA2Q/T8FnGL1ECIM/s800/ROA_Flap_Holster_Scene.jpg

rodwha
06-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Tacklebury: Do you have to load that 255 grainer with a loading press or does the loading ram work?
Is that a cast boolit or commercial?
I'm looking for something I can load with the loading ram for hunting deer and/or hogs with.
For now I do not cast and am looking for commercially available game getters.

tacklebury
06-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Loading Ram works fine. 35 gr. is maximum with this bullet or it starts to protrude. hehe

rodwha
06-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Tacklebury: What 255 grn bullet is that that you are using? Commercially available or cast?