PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 stuck sizing die

PB234
05-13-2012, 02:48 PM
I have acquired a new to me Lyman 45 which came with a sizing die installed. Have tried to get it out and it seems to be stuck. Probably has been in the sizer for a long long time. So far have tried to remove it by just unscrewing the retaining screw and placing a bolt under the die and moving the arm. I think I need to get it a bit unfrozen to have luck removing it. Am considering using a heat gun to try to expand the area of the sizer creating a little room surrounding the sizing die, but would appreciate suggestions. Other than this problem getting going the Lyman 45 seems to be able to do what I want and it is a nice piece of old equipment with character.

So far have used the heat gun to remove some old lube. Have a new pressure nut to install.

Just need to remove the old sizing die.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

05-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Most likely, judicious applicaton of heat, to the area surrounding the die, will sufficiently soften the old, harden lube.

Another option, and the one I have done, is to disassemble the 45 and boil it in water for 10 or 15 minutes. The old lube will melt and rise to the top. After it has hardened it will easily peel off. Thoroughly clean (repaint) all the components and reassemble.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Yep, most likely the only thing holding the die in, is old lube...just add heat, it should push right out.
Jon

PB234
05-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Thank you. Will fire up the heat gun and try that first.

Horace
05-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Is there room for two short set screws one on top of the other?

Horace

geargnasher
05-14-2012, 03:53 AM
Hope someone didn't put an RCBS die in it. The RCBS dies are fairly interchangeable with the 450/4500 series, but the bottom of the die body is a bit too big for the 45, causing a pretty significant interference fit. It's possible to tap it down in there all the way, but it will require a hammer and large brass drift punch or similar to get it back out again if that's the case. Probably just old, hard lube gumming it up, though. Remove the ejector pin from the die if and when you boil it so the lube can find it's way out the holes in the die body.

Gear

Ziptar
05-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Hope someone didn't put an RCBS die in it. The RCBS dies are fairly interchangeable with the 450/4500 series, but the bottom of the die body is a bit too big for the 45, causing a pretty significant interference fit. It's possible to tap it down in there all the way, but it will require a hammer and large brass drift punch or similar to get it back out again if that's the case. Probably just old, hard lube gumming it up, though. Remove the ejector pin from the die if and when you boil it so the lube can find it's way out the holes in the die body.

Gear

Weird.... thats the first I've heard that about the 45 and RCBS dies.
Maybe they changed the 45 casting at some point? I only use RCBS .452 and .454 dies in my Lyman 45 and they go in and out using only finger pressure with no trouble at all.

Maybe I'm just lucky? or maybe I have Hercules fingers? :-o