PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 44b

dragonrider
05-13-2012, 11:19 AM
A freind came over yesterday with the remains of a Mossberg 44b, stock broken off at the wrist and the back half missing, it appears that all the metal is there including the magazine, and most of it is in decent condition Bore looks good, dirty but good. plenty of rust at the front of the barrel, deep pits, cleaning up the rust would involve turning the barrel to remove it and that would remove the lettering on the barrel. There is no serial number anywhere. Aside from the broken stock it functions, the bolt is very dirty but not rusted at all, a good cleaning is all it would need. It has target sights, the front is a series of leafs that fold to the side, there are three, I think there should be four because the screw that secures them does not do so fully tight, there is a space that could be take up with another leaf. or it could just be a spacer that is missing, quite rusty but cleanable. Just discovered that the rear sights are not complete, missing screw in eye piece, (not the right word but can't come up with it right now).
I have no need for this rifle so should someone need parts we can discuss it, I don't know the legality of shipping the reciever so I think that I will keep that, I may have need of 22 barrel for some project. PM me if you need anything.

Oh almost forgot my freind found this in the dump, there was also a 12 SXS but someone else got that, and another person got a bagful of handguns.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-15-2012, 10:28 PM
if there is no serial number it was the civilian model they didn't need them til after 1968

i would be interested in your parts

dragonrider
05-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Deal made on parts.

shooterg
05-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Remember Paul Harvey's "rest of the story" ? I made dragonrider an offer, when he found out that our club maintains a number of Mossberg 44's(most came from CMP) for youth shooting events(we ran 160 Boy Scouts through in one day, hosted some Scouts from DC, and offer what we call "Family Mossberg Matches") , he GAVE us the parts ! After pressuring him some, he's agreed to accept some LC .30-06 brass, had to twist his arm to get him to take that.

And obviously the dumpsters in MA got a higher class of refuse than ours !!