PDA

View Full Version : Back in Maine!

BD
05-13-2012, 10:36 AM
I arrived back in Greenville Friday night. Life is currently a big pile of boxes needing to be unpacked. SWMBO will likely put the reloading and casting benches on low priority, but the good news is the mastercaster is still here and ready to roll. I may be out of touch for awhile until I figure out how best to get the internet to the house.
BD

greenbud
05-13-2012, 12:02 PM
hey im a mainer. and a computer tech. Your best bet is to see if you can get time warner cable. Fairpoint sucks

Dorf
05-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Is the ice out yet?

gray wolf
05-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Yes it out in Rangeley, welcome back

Sam in Oquossoc

BD
05-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm at the library researching internet providers. What I've found so far is:
Fairpoint, (but my neighbors tell me I'm in a 3 mile long no service dead zone)
Direct TV, I don't care about TV, but if the internet/cell phone bundle is reasonable it might be worth considering satellite. This is what our tenet was using while we were in SC.
Comcast, i don't no anything about this
Localnet, there site says no DSl is available at our location, but dialup is a possibility.
Premium Choice Broadband, $65.95/month for 3mps

Any advice?
BD

BD
05-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Well the best deal I found was a MIFI device from Verizon, as that who carries our cell phones. $50/10 gigs per month. So far it seems to be working. It's good to be Back!

mainiac
05-19-2012, 06:02 PM
You came back just in time for the black fly hatch...........Man,are you lucky!!!

Brook trout are biting good,though....

BD
05-19-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm not seeing the kind of run off it takes to make a real good black fly hatch. Folks over in West Forks may go broke with no flies to export this spring :)
BD

Maineboy
05-19-2012, 09:51 PM
We're starting to see them in my neck of the woods. Welcome back to Paradise BD.

edsmith
05-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Welcome back, love those black flies.they keep me company when I mow the lawn.:holysheep:bigsmyl2:

bootsnthejeep
05-22-2012, 09:36 PM
I think we're easily going to make up for lousy blackfly hatch with a BUMPER tick crop.

BD
05-24-2012, 10:04 AM
So far the black flies haven't been too bad. The skeeters were out last night though. I just filled my pockets with ingots to keep from being carried off. Today I'm going to clean out the shop and see just what the lead supply looks like. Might need to cast up some insoles for my boots if the skeeters get any worse.

Good job on that boat keel Greenbud. I was sorely disappointed to find that they're not using lead wheel weights in Maine any longer.
BD

greenbud
05-24-2012, 11:32 AM
well down here on the coast in waldo county we got a nice sea breeze that keaps the bugs off!!

And the keel idea was actually Revolvers another Mainer on here

dragonrider
05-24-2012, 12:24 PM
I've been to Greenville, somewhere around 1990. My freind and I were staying at his place on Lake St. George in Liberty, Me and cruising the state on our motorcycles. One day we decided to go to Moosehead lake. When we started out it was a beautiful day about 75 degrees, when we got to Greenville it was about 35 degrees and very windy. We had several coffee's at a diner to warm up and headed south again to warmer weather. This was in the middle of July BTW.

Pepe Ray
05-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Hey Bill;
Do you spose Big Pine could use another clean out?
The've added another range and will include .22RF as another AP match, to encourage beginners. Kerry still sends me updates even tho I don't compete any more.
Pepe Ray

BD
05-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Ray,
I stopped by Big Pine the other day to check it out. While there I asked about cleaning out the indoor range. Apparently there's more competition for lead than there used to be as I was told they wanted money for the lead that was cleaned out. I'm hoping I still have a bucket or two that I haven't rendered from the last clean out. I've thought about sifting the berms at Big Pine, but if they're going to charge me to do it, as well just buy alloy. It's been four years since I shot an action pistol match, but I did rejoin Big Pine and I'm planning on at least shooting their local matches this summer.
BD

41 mag fan
05-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Well the best deal I found was a MIFI device from Verizon, as that who carries our cell phones. $50/10 gigs per month. So far it seems to be working. It's good to be Back!

You sure thats 10gigs for $50/mo?
We've got the MIFI also and ours is 5 gigs for $50/mo.
I might be getting the shaft on this

BD
05-25-2012, 10:29 AM
41fan, that's what the guy on the phone told me. Its bundled with our two cell phones. I'll let ya know when I get the first bill. It's sure a lot slower than what I was used to.
BD