PDA

View Full Version : shotgun action opening?

beex215
05-13-2012, 10:28 AM
when i fired my brand new shotgun, the action opens slightly after each shot. i never shot a shotgun before and im not sure if this is suppose to be happening. im thinking it could be that the gun does this normally or the ammo i was using is too hot?

here the gun in action before i asked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk6faslVnmI&list=UUUOfYQG_5TBwfBtOuaAzXUQ&index=1&feature=plcp

shooting slugs are fun and painful.

edler7
05-13-2012, 10:51 AM
What type of action ? Pump, single shot, double barrel, semi auto ???

40Super
05-13-2012, 11:07 AM
My 12ga pump would do that with stout 3 inch+ turkey loads, but I don't think any shotgun is supposed to open with normal gamebird/skeet & such loads if that is what you are shooting.

LUBEDUDE
05-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Gotta know what you are shooting.

If it is a single or a double, the lever spring could be weak.

If it is a pump, it may be operator error. You may be pulling back on the forearm, following through with the recoil.

If it is an auto, depends on the brand, something could be out of adjustment or a gas ring is upside down. Who knows. Get it to a gunsmith, be sure it is not shooting out of battery.

Good Luck

Larry Gibson
05-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Assuming a pump action(?) and many times it is your hand on the forend and the way you recover from recoil that actually opens the action a bit. Try a shot holding the gun out at arms length with your forehand holding the butt. That way it can recoil freely and you won't influence the action. It should not open or unlock then with normal or trap/skeet loads. With heavy hunting loads as 40Super mentions the recoil will sometimes unlock them. It's not really a problem just a bit disconcerting until you understand what is happening.

Larry Gibson

beex215
05-13-2012, 11:22 AM
it is a pump action. i was shooting 12g slugs. i just looked at my video i took and i clearly did do a test with my hand not touching the front hand guard. still opens as described.

it is a stevens 320.

RACWIN375
05-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Assuming a pump action(?) and many times it is your hand on the forend and the way you recover from recoil that actually opens the action a bit. Try a shot holding the gun out at arms length with your forehand holding the butt. That way it can recoil freely and you won't influence the action. It should not open or unlock then with normal or trap/skeet loads. With heavy hunting loads as 40Super mentions the recoil will sometimes unlock them. It's not really a problem just a bit disconcerting until you understand what is happening.

Larry Gibson

my Mossbergh 500 with the pistol grip on it will ONLY open when shot with 3"mag or slugs
try the hands off forehand grip and see
happy shooting

Rick

:bigsmyl2:

beagle
05-13-2012, 11:29 AM
I had a Model 1200 Winchester pump that did that. Don't think it's supose to do that. I'd have it checked out if it's opening without your hand on it./beagle

Bloodman14
05-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Perfectly normal; my Winchester 1200 and 1300's do that. When the trigger is pulled and the gun fires, the action unlocks, allowing the bolt to move backward slightly due to residual pressure in the bore. The 28" 1300 is 'worse' than the 22" 1200 due to the longer barrel.

beex215
05-13-2012, 12:05 PM
thats settles it. its good to hear that i didnt get a defective weapon. btw the slug loads hurt after only 10 rounds.

44man
05-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Pump, OK. 870 always does it. All pressure is gone.
At times it makes me short stroke for the next shot.

DLCTEX
05-13-2012, 03:31 PM
I was given some "Hot" 12 ga. loads that would open the action and forcefully eject the hull in a Win. 1300. These were #6 shot loads and I didn"t shoot many of them.

beex215
05-13-2012, 04:48 PM
here the gun in action before i asked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk6faslVnmI&list=UUUOfYQG_5TBwfBtOuaAzXUQ&index=1&feature=plcp

hardy
05-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Perfectly normal; my Winchester 1200 and 1300's do that. When the trigger is pulled and the gun fires, the action unlocks, allowing the bolt to move backward slightly due to residual pressure in the bore. The 28" 1300 is 'worse' than the 22" 1200 due to the longer barrel.

IIRC,some years back Winchester offered a "Speed Pump" 1300 home defense gun and the blurb referred to this unlocking" feature" Course,I,m old and silly now.LOL Mike

HangFireW8
05-13-2012, 09:25 PM
thats settles it. its good to hear that i didnt get a defective weapon. btw the slug loads hurt after only 10 rounds.

There are things you can do about that recoil. Shorten or lengthen, raise or lower the stock to fit better. Add a good pad like a Pachmayr Decelerator.

Most importantly... Cast your own slugs and load them to more reasonable velocities.

HF

ubetcha
05-13-2012, 09:27 PM
I have seen this mainly on Winchesters.Two people I know experienced the same thing only to find out It's normal

runfiverun
05-14-2012, 12:04 AM

ditto.
i could shoot my 1300 and the gun would eject the shell, it was part of thier speed loader bragging thing they did a while back.
i could hold an extra shell in my left hand, shoot a clay target, drop the shell in the ejection port, close the bolt,and shoot the biggest piece of the target before it hit the ground.

beex215
05-14-2012, 04:51 AM
There are things you can do about that recoil. Shorten or lengthen, raise or lower the stock to fit better. Add a good pad like a Pachmayr Decelerator.

Most importantly... Cast your own slugs and load them to more reasonable velocities.

HF
thats the thing. i did load them. i had a 2.8 dipper of promo and that was more powerful than the blue dot loads. but the blue dot loads where in the mid 30 grains.

oneokie
05-14-2012, 05:32 AM
Promo has the same burn rate as Red Dot. Much faster burn than Blue Dot. WAG is that you are at or exceeding maximum pressure with that load.

white eagle
05-14-2012, 06:51 AM
some pumps open to aid in fast second third shots

44man
05-14-2012, 08:43 AM
It is purely mechanical. The action bar lock is released with the trigger pull so the locking block can drop out of engagement to allow the bolt to move back.
Pressure is gone by then.
The bad thing with the 870 is if you push the slide forward after a shot, it locks again without coming back to feed another shell. You have to keep the slide coming back for a full stroke.
The pump I loved was the Ithaca 37. Hold the trigger back and keep pumping, it shot faster then an auto.

jmsj
05-14-2012, 09:18 AM
I think this is normal also.
I always put a fair amount of rearward tension on the forearm on my 870's. The recoil and rearward tension help cycle the action and pushing it foward into battery helps me get the shotgun back on sight. Using this method lets me shoot a pump as fast or faster than I can shoot an autoloader.
Good luck, jmsj

Cap'n Morgan
05-15-2012, 10:09 AM
What you've experienced is the same principle that makes inertia/recoil automatic guns work. The gun moves backward during recoil and when the movement is arrested by your shoulder the slide/bolt keep goin' backwards. It is actually a great aid in operating a pumpgun: pull back on the forend while you pull the trigger and the action will cycle almost by itself . Some pumps, however, will tend to bind if you put rearward tension on the forend - I recall some old Stevens having that problem.