PDA

View Full Version : Magazine malfunction

gester01
05-13-2012, 04:26 AM
I have a Colt .38 Super converted to shoot .38 Special wad cutters. The mags are Gold Cup National Match which hold 5 rounds. I recently bought one at a gun show with the following problem(s):

I get the loaded mag to lock in, but if I then try to remove it, the mag releases, but then hangs with about 2 inches exposed from the grip. If I shoot it or cycle it empty, all works as normal. I have no idea what is keeping it from clearing.

If I feed this mag into the grip with the slide locked back, I often get the first round to stand up like a stovepipe as the mag locks. The follower (?) looks quite different from that of my other semi automatics and the top of the mag has extra "fingers" to hold the rounds in place. Makes them more finicky

As it is getting harder & harder to find these mags, so I wanted to know if there was some place to read up on fine tuning them. Couldn't find anything here with various searches.

I was told to disassemble, clean and lube them. I have also read not to oil any magazines. Regardless, I have been unable to remove the base plate (not all of my mags even have a push-in release) if that's what it is.

I could use some suggestions, thanks.

JLK
08-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Gester,
Did you get your mag problem solved?

It sounds like your follower could be your problem.

Brownell's shows Triple K Gold Cup .38 Special magazines
in stock:

486-000-004WB

JLK