PDA

View Full Version : Good deal???

starmac
05-13-2012, 03:40 AM
I picked up a herters super o press today with a universal shell holder adapters and 10 original herters shell holders.

This press is a massive chunk of iron.

Kskybroom
05-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Good Deal
Now try to wear it out ..
Been trying mine for a long time....

Pressman
05-13-2012, 06:50 AM
You got a deal. That many original shellholders makes the deal. THe Super O is impressive. Its two position linkage gives the power needed for swaging or sizing really large cases. Even the linkage pins have roller bearings. Ole' George was thinking when he came up with this press.
Ken

LUBEDUDE
05-13-2012, 10:49 AM
That's what I like about Herter's, lots of Beef.

Good looking press.

starmac
05-13-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't think I have enough time on this earth to wear it out. lol

I was planning on picking up a classic cast lee this summer, but ran across this, and what can I say I like old things, and it seems to be as tight as any new ones I've been around.
It does not have the primer catch on it, but I should be able to come up with something fairly easy.

Is there any downside to them?

Pressman
05-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Downside, there could be. Place a washer or two under the press at each bolt when you mount it. Some of teh bottoms are not 100% flat and can crack as you snug the bolts down. The washers serve as feet and keep any irregularities on the bottom from creating problems.

The primer catcher is a square metal box that hangs on a screw on the right side of the frame. Should not be too difficult to locate a small can of some type to take its place.

One curious point is the lack of a removable bushing to take swaging or shotgun dies.

Ken

starmac
05-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Downside, there could be. Place a washer or two under the press at each bolt when you mount it. Some of teh bottoms are not 100% flat and can crack as you snug the bolts down. The washers serve as feet and keep any irregularities on the bottom from creating problems.

The primer catcher is a square metal box that hangs on a screw on the right side of the frame. Should not be too difficult to locate a small can of some type to take its place.

One curious point is the lack of a removable bushing to take swaging or shotgun dies.

Ken

Thanks for that tip, I would be really upset if I cracked it after it has lasted this long with no problems. lol

I see your point about the removable bushing, but with what I need it is not an issue, for now anyway.

44Vaquero
05-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Nice find with enough quality to last several lifetimes! Some guys have all the luck.