PDA

View Full Version : Mold handle interchangeability

REDBARON
05-12-2012, 09:37 PM
I know I have read this somewhere on this forum, but I cannot remember. What mold handles can be used on different brands of molds? Thanks.

geargnasher
05-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I know what you're talking about. There have been a couple of excellent threads in the moulds forum that were excellent, but they got away. I think I found one here, there are others: http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=125893&highlight=fit

Next time someone digs up a really good one, lets beg the mods to "stick" it in the mould forum!

Gear

05-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Earlier today, in response to another such thread, I, again!, mentioned how nice a handle stickie would be. (Of course, that implies that those wanting to know would actually read the stickie.)

Here's what I've experienced with Lee's six-cavity handles:
1. They are an exact fit for Lyman one and two-cavity moulds.
2. To fit RCBS moulds, they require a bit of grinding/filing.
3. To fit Lyman four-cavity moulds, they require a bit more grinding/filing.
4. They are an exact fit for Lee six-cavity moulds, except for when they are not. Then they require a bit of grinding/filing. (Speaks volumes for Lee's lack of a mould or handle quailty control department, one.)

geargnasher
05-12-2012, 10:09 PM
I've been out of the loop, must have missed that one, 462. You had a good post on the thread I linked above.

Gear

trk
05-12-2012, 10:10 PM
And H&G moulds work well with H&G handles.
etc.
etc.

Good summary, 462.

Revolver
05-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Good to know. I have a spare set of Lee 6-cav handles and a Lyman 2-cav mold that needs handles. Problem solved, Thank you!

Earlier today, in response to another such thread, I, again!, mentioned how nice a handle stickie would be. (Of course, that implies that those wanting to know would actually read the stickie.)

4. They are an exact fit for Lee six-cavity moulds, except for when they are not. Then they require a bit of grinding/filing. (Speaks volumes for Lee's lack of a mould or handle quailty control department, one.)

APDDSN864
05-13-2012, 12:05 AM

Thanks for replying. It may have been my noob post in search of this answer. I just followed the link mentioned above and got my answer regarding the SAECO & NEI moulds.

Thanks again,

Ed

REDBARON
05-13-2012, 08:55 AM
As always, I appreciate the info. The best forum on the net.

HangFireW8
05-13-2012, 09:51 PM

Grinding and filing is OK, but I used a belt sander on my Lee handles. It's easier to maintain a more-or-less flat surface that way.

I sand the bottom of the jaws so I don't have to look at it when I'm casting. That's just the way I do it.

HF