PDA

View Full Version : Turned My Moss. 500 into a Gobble Stopper

Beagler
05-12-2012, 04:52 PM
When it was new it was Matt Black with a cantilever slug barrel. Sold the slug barrel. Bought a Riot Barrel and made a Zombie Gun. Now my dad want me to start Turkey Hunting with him next year. So got the 20inch accu-choke barrel from midway and a .655 choke from Comp-N-Choke. Just finshed painting it today. Figure I can use it for fox/yodies and other critters to

W.R.Buchanan
05-14-2012, 02:21 AM
I just got thru converting my 500 from 18" barrel with short mag to 20" barrel with rifle sights and full length mag tube..

I paid $116 from Brownells for the barrel and mag tube. I also installed a larger safety on the gun and had to take it apart to the last piece to do it. While apart I knocked all the sharp edges off everything inside the action, especially the two op rods which are stamped parts with a lot of edges. The gun is now glass smooth to operate. Well worth the 2 hours to execute.

The hardest thing was finding the appropriate doodad to hook the sling to on the mag tube. The standard set up with the sling swivel on the end of the mag tube just doesn't get it.

I got a clamp that has a Picatinny rails section on it at the gun show for $20 I then hunted around for a rail adapter to hook the sling on. Finally found one for $13, went home asssembled it and the sling swivel wouldn't stay on the adapter, complete ***!

I fiddled around with it and finally drilled and tapped a 10-32 hole on the Picatinny rail and used the swivel stud from the mag cap.

It works great and now I have about a 2" section of rail to attach a flashlight or laser to.

This is my HD gun so the long mag tube is a good thing. gives 7+1

I plan on installing a tritium front sight and a Pachmayer recoil pad on this gun in the near future, and then take it to a Front Sight Shotgun class.

Kind of similar to your project except the thurkeys around here are safe.

I personally think the Mossberg 500 is the best value in a pump action shotgun out there. Mine was $212 at Big 5 sporting goods. Pretty hard to beat.

Randy