PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Cylinders

ColColt
05-12-2012, 04:19 PM
I have a Ruger GP100 that usually leaves some lead behind after a session at the range-primarily in the cylinders-some worse than others but none real bad. What about trying to polish the cylinders? What I have on hand is some crocus cloth and Mother's Mag polish. Will wither do or both to smooth up the cylinder walls?

Catshooter
05-12-2012, 06:45 PM
You can, but you do want to be careful. Rounding the edges, polishing them to aggressively, getting them tilted off axis are amoung things you'd like to avoid.

You don't say how you'd go about polishing. Are the chamber throats (I assume that's what you are refering to) rough? I had a Ruger that looked like it had been chambered with a drill bit. If the chambers hadn't already been huge I'd've polished 'em.

Are they small? Large?

Sorry to hit you with all these questions but you're delving into a technical area and what you do depends on what you need to do with what you have.

Usually when the (or some) throats lead it's 'cause they're too big and you get leading from all the blow-by. Especially with a high pressure round like the .357.

Cat

ColColt
05-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Cat-the chambers measure .358" according to my plug gauges. I'm not sure exactly how I would polish them with the materials mentioned. Maybe wrap the crocus cloth around a dowel rod? or, the same with the Mother's Mag.

The chambers don't look bad at all when clean but after a session of shooting(less than 100 rounds) and after wire brush and patches most of them still have traces of lead in them. Sort of like you'd see in a rough forcing cone. I don't know if Flitz would be better. The bigger question is what would be the best method of doing it. It's just the area ahead of the groove in the cylinder-not the entire chamber, of course.

AK Caster
05-13-2012, 12:46 AM
IMO leave the chambers alone. If they need to be cut to to the correct size then have that done but they should not be mirror smooth as the cases need something to grip to otherwise they will slam back against the frame.

John in WI
05-13-2012, 01:11 AM
When I got my neglected police trade in .38, I don't think the cylinder had ever been cleaned.

I wrapped a cleaning patch around a bronze brush and used Flitz on it. I ran the patches through a few times, then cleaned it like normal. Seemed to work well removing the lead (and maybe copper) fouling.

btroj
05-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Wrap a bit of 4 aught steel wool around a 35 cal brush and spin it slowly with a drill . Running that in to the chamber throats would remove that lead pretty quickly.
That is how I clean them on my GP and it gets the lead out quickly.

44man
05-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Clean and leave the chambers alone. Your problem is the boolit.
Do not polish chambers themselves because you need grip on the brass. To polish throats is OK if undersize.
If dimensions are correct at the start, change the alloy or powder.
Even if you crimp too much with soft lead, you will size and scrape the boolit. Look at the fired brass and make sure no indication of crimp is left.

ColColt
05-13-2012, 12:30 PM
It was the throat I had in mind to polish-not the chambers themselves. I use ww's primarily with a bit of tin on almost all loads whether 850 fps or 1250-I seldom go over that velocity.

Even if you crimp too much with soft lead, you will size and scrape the boolit. Look at the fired brass and make sure no indication of crimp is left.

I do have a tendency to crimp rather heavy especially when using 2400 but once I set the crimp and have no problem with boolit back out, I generally leave the crimp die as is whether I use jacketed or cast. You can still see the crimp line in fired brass. I would think sizing and scraping the boolit would come with not enough flare rather than crimp.

44man
05-13-2012, 01:43 PM
It was the throat I had in mind to polish-not the chambers themselves. I use ww's primarily with a bit of tin on almost all loads whether 850 fps or 1250-I seldom go over that velocity.

I do have a tendency to crimp rather heavy especially when using 2400 but once I set the crimp and have no problem with boolit back out, I generally leave the crimp die as is whether I use jacketed or cast. You can still see the crimp line in fired brass. I would think sizing and scraping the boolit would come with not enough flare rather than crimp.
Try water dropping and aging. Yeah, it works!

ColColt
05-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Try water dropping and aging. Yeah, it works!

Are you saying I need a BHN15-18 boolit? I don't think water dropping would change ww's very much...would it? Seems I tried that before. That range of hardness wouldn't be necessary for 850-1000fps. I don't get any sever leading in the barrel, just those grey streaks in the throat. They come out with a brush and maybe some Shooter's Choice Lead Remover but, I'd rather not deal with it at all if possible.,

44man
05-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Are you saying I need a BHN15-18 boolit? I don't think water dropping would change ww's very much...would it? Seems I tried that before. That range of hardness wouldn't be necessary for 850-1000fps. I don't get any sever leading in the barrel, just those grey streaks in the throat. They come out with a brush and maybe some Shooter's Choice Lead Remover but, I'd rather not deal with it at all if possible.,
My WW boolits come out at 22 BHN after aging.
A few streaks in the throats that wipe out are nothing to worry about as long as they do not build up and get thicker.
Just maybe you are getting too anal!
The hardest job on earth is to get cast shooters to relax more. Those stinking grease balls will really shoot.

ColColt
05-13-2012, 03:06 PM
That's an awfully hard bullet-rifle maybe but pistol? Anal? Well, I've been know to be from time to time. It's always been my understanding and mostly some experience thrown in there that ww's and tin is about all the hardness you need for pistols. I shoot those in the 44 Magnum with 10.5 gr of HS-6 behind a 260 gr boolit and get no leading. I don't know the velocity as I don't have access to a chrony. There's no leading with the 429421 boolit and 19 gr of 2400 either. I don't know why the 357 seems more prone to leading than the M29-3.

Catshooter
05-13-2012, 06:29 PM
The throats all accept a .358 pin gauge? If so, then they are more than that in size. A pin gauge has to have a hole larger than itself to slip into, even if the holes are perfectly round.

What are you sizing your boolits to? I like to size to .0005 to .001 over the throat diameter. Of course I'm doing this with the 45 auto and 45 Colt, usually much less pressure than your .357.

Was it mine, it'd try sizing to .359 and see what happens. What's your bore size?

Cat

ColColt
05-13-2012, 06:48 PM
I have dies for .358 and .359" but for the past several months have been using the .359" Groove diameter is .3575-.358". It hard to tell as the slug is difficult to mic in a Ruger GP.

.357MAN
05-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Have you pulled any bullets after seating in an empty sized case. Your cases may be sizing your bullets smaller than the cylinder throat. If so this thread shows a handy way to enlarge a carbide sizing die.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=145485

PbHurler
05-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Try a Lewis Lead Remover setup. I'll used the bore cleaning plug with a new screen. Run the pull rod through the cylinder front to back, install the bore plug with a new screen, pull it into the leaded area (throats) and give it a few turns then pull the rest of the way ouy the front. I'll re-flatten the screen somewhat inbetween subsequent chambers, and repeat. This has always worked for me to remove any "minor" lead remains from my chamber mouths. Hope this helps.

44man
05-14-2012, 01:10 PM
That's an awfully hard bullet-rifle maybe but pistol? Anal? Well, I've been know to be from time to time. It's always been my understanding and mostly some experience thrown in there that ww's and tin is about all the hardness you need for pistols. I shoot those in the 44 Magnum with 10.5 gr of HS-6 behind a 260 gr boolit and get no leading. I don't know the velocity as I don't have access to a chrony. There's no leading with the 429421 boolit and 19 gr of 2400 either. I don't know why the 357 seems more prone to leading than the M29-3.
The .357 has more initial pressure and can slump a boolit faster or make it skid the rifling. It is different. It really is harder to get the .357 right. I always thought it was the most accurate gun. I was shooting 1" targets at 100 yards with the 358156 HP long ago but since, I have never found a gun to shoot like the 8-3/8" model 27. I have no answer because I no longer own a.357. I shot hundreds of them since but never was able to do what I did back then. I did use WW metal but it was harder back then. WW's in the early 50's were far from what we have today. I can't tell the reason.

ColColt
05-14-2012, 07:12 PM
I have a Lewis Lead Remover from back in the mid 70's but it's for a 45 caliber. I don't really have that big of a leading problem that Chore Boy or a little Shooter's Choice Lead Remover and a brass brush won't take care of.

I can say I've had more of a leading problem with the 357 than 45 ACP or 44 Magnum for whatever the reason. I don't load for fireballs in the 357 using lead. Mostly it's not over 1100-1300 at max with most loads being below that and all casting is primarily ww's and tin. I have cast a given lot that I keep that's a mix of 50/50 lead and LT that's about BHN 15 I may use for the higher velocity but, I'm not sure that's even needed. As it's been pointed out over and over here, it's the fit that's important.

WW's in the early 50's were far from what we have today. I can't tell the reason.

You must be older 'n dirt.:-) I was 10 years old in 1956 and was only shootin' slingshots and BB guns.

Catshooter
05-14-2012, 09:21 PM
He is older than dirt. Then agian, y'all ain't far from it my friend. I was three in '56, so there! :)

Cat

MtGun44
05-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Pin gages are .0002 undersized so that they will go into the size hole that is marked
on them.

Bill

44man
05-15-2012, 09:14 AM
He is older than dirt. Then agian, y'all ain't far from it my friend. I was three in '56, so there! :)

Cat
YEP, but I would never give up the progression to our modern revolvers. I feel I have lived during the best of times. :drinks:
It started for me with Elmer and Thompson but things have changed. Some of what they did is still relevant, yet newer guns might need a change.
If I still had the old 27 I would go back to 2400 and the 358156 HP. It still works.
I gauge age by the dogs I have lost and my biggest fear is to live longer then those I have.

rststeve
05-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Brownells sells hones for just the purpose you are discussing. I have polished the throats of several of my guns for the reasons you speak of. This honing is not to make them larger but to polish the rough spots out. worked for me! proceed at you own risk.

2ndAmendmentNut
05-15-2012, 03:03 PM
You could also fire lap the throats.

ColColt
05-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Kids today don't have a clue about how great it was growing up in the 50's and very early 60's but, don't get me going on that.

I was three in '56, so there!

Same age as my younger brother was. For reasons unbeknownst to me, our parents had us all 7 years apart. Mom's reason for that was because she could always have one at home with her...go figure that one.

I gauge age by the dogs I have lost and my biggest fear is to live longer then those I have.

I hear that. My little buddy will soon be 8 years old this August. I don't want to think of life without him...he's all I have. This was about three years ago. I put the camera on a tripod, focused on him and jumped in the picture. He's a great little guy. I've gotten totally off course.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Fall2008/_DEF1866.jpg

44man
05-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Kids today don't have a clue about how great it was growing up in the 50's and very early 60's but, don't get me going on that.

Same age as my younger brother was. For reasons unbeknownst to me, our parents had us all 7 years apart. Mom's reason for that was because she could always have one at home with her...go figure that one.

I hear that. My little buddy will soon be 8 years old this August. I don't want to think of life without him...he's all I have. This was about three years ago. I put the camera on a tripod, focused on him and jumped in the picture. He's a great little guy. I've gotten totally off course.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Fall2008/_DEF1866.jpg
Can I call you my friend? Wonderful little fellow you have there.

gray wolf
05-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Well I will second that request to call him a friend.
I have two of those little fur kids, and they are truly a big part of my life.
I was 8 years old in 1950, I should have saved my shoes with the holes in the toes from playing Mumilly peg with my jack knife.

ColColt
05-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Friend indeed! Bubba is a real joy and great companion...you just can't beat them for loyalty. Strange how we grow so attached to them and I'll go as far as to say love them as much as your kids or siblings. I felt that way. I love a good ol' Redbone Coon Hound and Golden Retrievers but Corgis just stole my heart from the first time I saw one. It's hilarious to watch them run as they run like a rabbit with both hind feet hitting the ground at the same time. Being a Herding dog they can move, too.

Well, nothing like getting off the beaten path a little I guess.:smile:

gray wolf
05-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Go right a head--
choose any path you want.

Catshooter
05-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Got four dogs of my own. Do love them little toddlers, that's for sure.

Cat

subsonic
05-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Dogs are great! Lacey, my border collie/australian shepard/sneaky neighbor dog mix was my phone screensaver (when I had a cell phone that is). She is by far the best dog I have ever owned.

subsonic
05-16-2012, 11:16 PM
How could you not love a dog like this?
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x386/Dennis_Doza/005.jpg
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x386/Dennis_Doza/IMG_0057.jpg
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x386/Dennis_Doza/IMG_0081.jpg

44man
05-17-2012, 10:51 AM
A real sweetie! One of mine when a little younger. She has never changed, still a nut.

Char-Gar
05-17-2012, 11:06 AM
You are trying to fix a problem that does not exist anywhere but in your head.

gray wolf
05-17-2012, 12:22 PM
I think the thread drift worked out very well,
Wouldn't you say ?
Ummm what were we talking about ?

MBTcustom
05-17-2012, 12:59 PM
out over and over here, it's the fit that's important.

Quote:
WW's in the early 50's were far from what we have today. I can't tell the reason.
You must be older 'n dirt. I was 10 years old in 1956 and was only shootin' slingshots and BB guns.

Thanks for the laugh guys! Oh it hurts! I have tears in my eyes! That's one of the funniest things I have read on castboolits!

gray wolf
05-17-2012, 08:21 PM
I sat here this morning waiting for my back and knees
to catch up with the rest of me. Anyway I laughed my tail off reading this thread.
Just stuck me so funny about how us guys take a perfectly good thread and high
jack it onto another planet. I thought I wondered over to the West minister Kennel club. I love dogs, got two, and I enjoyed the way the thread went.
It was nice seeing the pets, I for one enjoyed it.

ColColt
05-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Well, since this thread has go so out of whack, may as well continue.:) My boy Bubba tickles me as sometimes he'll be sitting on the floor and for no reason start moving in circles and growling. He never gets off his butt, just moves around in a near circle and then back with his front paws and growls. I reckon his butt itches and that's the only way to scratch it as Daddy loves him but ain't gonna scratch his butt. ;)

You are trying to fix a problem that does not exist anywhere but in your head.

What problem is that? I forgot.:holysheep